Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
Glad the SO streak is finally over. Unnecessary distraction to have hanging over any team at this time of year. Franchise record for consecutive wins set, just simple consistent hockey from here on in.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Would anyone be upset if Sanford sat a game or two and Fabbri got some more games in? Not that Sanford has been bad, just seems like he’s been kind of coasting lately and Fabbri looked pretty good against the wild IMO...

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
You know, every time they show Allen on the bench, he is engaged and congratulating his teammates (like after Parayko’s goal tonight) with no hint of pouting. I don’t want him as the starter, and wouldn’t shed a tear if he was moved, but I give him credit for being a team player and keeping a good attitude with Binnington’s streak.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
Would anyone be upset if Sanford sat a game or two and Fabbri got some more games in? Not that Sanford has been bad, just seems like he’s been kind of coasting lately and Fabbri looked pretty good against the wild IMO...
I'd like this 100x if I could.

Watching Fabbri in warmups was rough. At first I was like wait is someone else scratched, but then I just saw that he was the extra forward and I was pretty sad ngl.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
You know, every time they show Allen on the bench, he is engaged and congratulating his teammates (like after Parayko’s goal tonight) with no hint of pouting. I don’t want him as the starter, and wouldn’t shed a tear if he was moved, but I give him credit for being a team player and keeping a good attitude with Binnington’s streak.
I noticed this last night, but previously have seen him looking fairly uninterested. I haven't been paying that much attention to him though. It is refreshing to see him not have that sullen look on his face that they seem to capture on camera a lot.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd be fine with it. Sanford is the type of guy where I don't think he's a full-time player just yet. He's close though, and I think with another good offseason of training where he can still add 5 lbs of muscle and get a little stronger, he can be a solid 3rd liner for us next season. But this year, I've noticed that after every time he's scratched, he comes back and plays really well for a few games but then he gets a bit complacent and cools off.

Schenn-ROR-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Bozak-Thomas
Fabbri-Sundqvist-Steen
Mac-Barbashev-Maroon

is what I would roll with. That gives us the best possible top 6 with Perron out, a 2-way 3rd line that can hopefully chip in, and a heavy 4th.

I agree. He hasn't looked pissed off at all. And I've noticed him embrace Binnington pretty well at the end of games.

I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to keep him as a backup. We all know what he looks like when he's hot, and maybe he'd be better if he didn't have to start all the time. Hopefully he can be good in that role here down the stretch. He was great in the Colorado game. Just give him a few starts like that (maybe find teams that he's historically good against) and ride the wave with 2 confident goalies (obviously with Binner getting the majority).

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
It won't happen but O'Reilly should be getting a lot of MVP votes. He's driven this team all season and has been ridiculously consistent. Without him carrying the load early on there's no way we would have been close enough move up into a playoff position.

Side note: It's funny how things come full circle. I remember arguing back in his Colorado days that he was overrated and not worth what he wanted after his hold out. Boy was I ever wrong. It's amazing how many little things you notice once you get to watch a guy regularly.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
You know...between Binnington, ROR, Berube, Tarasenko and company 2019 has been pretty awesome as a fan. Unfortunately when searching for coverage and National praise there's hardly a mention. ESPN's headline was about Kadri leaving the game with a concussion with no mention of the Blues 11-game streak. TSN and Sportsnet don't care about St. Louis, and if the team is mentioned, it's usually just a short blurb. You'd think the league and the outlets that cover it would be making a bigger deal of a team once left for dead now storming up the standings with no signs of slowing down. How many wins do you think it will take before people actually start paying attention to what the Blues are doing? Do they need to beat Columbus'16-game mark before anyone takes notice? Pittsburgh's 17-game streak?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
You know...between Binnington, ROR, Berube, Tarasenko and company 2019 has been pretty awesome as a fan. Unfortunately when searching for coverage and National praise there's hardly a mention. ESPN's headline was about Kadri leaving the game with a concussion with no mention of the Blues 11-game streak. TSN and Sportsnet don't care about St. Louis, and if the team is mentioned, it's usually just a short blurb. You'd think the league and the outlets that cover it would be making a bigger deal of a team once left for dead now storming up the standings with no signs of slowing down. How many wins do you think it will take before people actually start paying attention to what the Blues are doing? Do they need to beat Columbus'16-game mark before anyone takes notice? Pittsburgh's 17-game streak?
It really isnt a big deal to me. NHL network is covering it quite a bit though.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
It won't happen but O'Reilly should be getting a lot of MVP votes. He's driven this team all season and has been ridiculously consistent. Without him carrying the load early on there's no way we would have been close enough move up into a playoff position.

Side note: It's funny how things come full circle. I remember arguing back in his Colorado days that he was overrated and not worth what he wanted after his hold out. Boy was I ever wrong. It's amazing how many little things you notice once you get to watch a guy regularly.
I was the exact same. I didn't understand the hype and thought he was just being selfish. He was just stuck behind Duchene and Stastny with anchors on his wing.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I don't want outside media attention hyping this team up and building expectations, that has never been good MOJO for this franchise. We are the Blues, after all.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I see a lot to like in Zach Sanford.

He goes to the net. He's nifty with the puck. He holds his own on the boards. His skating is acceptable.

His point totals aren't impressive, but he has mainly been a third liner this year, and doesn't get much, if any, power play time.

He doesn't play a strong physical game, but he is 6'4" tall. Just like in the past, we all hope he adds some strength and heft. Time is still on his side. Maybe he should ask Sundqvist about his offseason routine.

Reactions: Blueston

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I see a lot to like in Zach Sanford.

He goes to the net. He's nifty with the puck. He holds his own on the boards. His skating is acceptable.

His point totals aren't impressive, but he has mainly been a third liner this year, and doesn't get much, if any, power play time.

He doesn't play a strong physical game, but he is 6'4" tall. Just like in the past, we all hope he adds some strength and heft. Time is still on his side. Maybe he should ask Sundqvist about his offseason routine.
I agree, Sanford does a lot of good things that can lead to success, similiar to what I saw in sundqvist last year. He’s very good at using his body and weight shift to protect the puck and “stack” defenseman. Honestly when Perron comes back I want maroon out of the lineup. Tho I know it won’t happen

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
My main issue with Sanford is he tends to rely too much on his hands which results in overhandling of the puck and eventually a turnover. He's got some decent mitts, but he's not Patrick Kane. There's no need to try and dangle 2 guys at your defensive blue line when your linemates are trying to change.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
My main issue with Sanford is he tends to rely too much on his hands which results in overhandling of the puck and eventually a turnover. He's got some decent mitts, but he's not Patrick Kane. There's no need to try and dangle 2 guys at your defensive blue line when your linemates are trying to change.
Like many young players, he has failed to realize to this point that the benefit of having those kind of puck skills is not to make MORE moves with the puck, it is to make QUICKER moves with the puck and make a play before the defender can react.

Reactions: Blueston

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Sanford is fine, but on the organizational depth chart, IMO he is much closer to Barbashev/MacMac/Oskar/Blais/Fabbri than core piece or potential top 6 scorer. Teams definitely need those kind of players, but I think pieces like that are ultimately expendable/replaceable.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sanford just hasn't produced much outside of that stretch with O'Reilly and Perron, 7 points in 5 games. Just 7 in the other 36 games. He's seems to be a player without much of a role. There nothing he really does that stands out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad