Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
We are a fickle bunch. Dunn can be infuriating, but he is what you want in modern defenseman. Great puck skills, outstanding skater, and numbers back up that in spite of his boners we are better defensively when he is on ice.
Yep. I watched him in Niagra. He is a much better dman then we saw. He's still young and is learning. He's going to be awesome. One of the many WTF moments on this board was reading how some wanted to salvage value and trade him for a pick or something.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Pssst... Edmundson is a top-4 dman, and a good one. Small sample sizes are what make people want to trade Tarasenko.

If we are trading for a LHD, it should be to fill a role we don’t have (PP QB), and/or upgrade on what we have (not a bottom-4 guy).

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Pssst... Edmundson is a top-4 dman, and a good one. Small sample sizes are what make people want to trade Tarasenko.

If we are trading for a LHD, it should be to fill a role we don’t have (PP QB), and/or upgrade on what we have (not a bottom-4 guy).
Dunn can be a PPQB, and while we're seeing some life on the PP. The Blues desperately need some help there from coaching.

We're seeing some creativity with the east to west game. Dunn also has that shot that finds it's way through traffic

Reactions: Klank Loves You

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Small sample size is why some folks think he is top 4 LHD. He's had flashes but never consistently been that quality. And his struggles with puck are big issue when he plays up in lineup. He's fine in bottom pairing but would look even better in Philly or Anaheim.

Reactions: EastVillageBlues

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Small sample size is why some folks think he is top 4 LHD. He's had flashes but never consistently been that quality. And his struggles with puck are big issue when he plays up in lineup. He's fine in bottom pairing but would look even better in Philly or Anaheim.
I don't think we'll be happy with what may be available from those teams in the top pairing

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I don't think we'll be happy with what may be available from those teams in the top pairing
Well I'd rather have Lindholm or Provorov too, but either Fowler or Ghost would be nice addition to our top 4. And I realize we would need to give up more than JE for either.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
So trade our best LHD D below the age of like 32 for a 2nd and a prospect? Out of your mind.

Only if he demands a raise, then I would look to jettison him.

He certainly has not played better than Dunn this season. And resigning Jaybo to short term deal seems now a decent possibility, and Ed really falls pretty short of Jaybo, even given Jaybo's warts. I definitely would not say that he is the best LHD under 32 on the roster.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well I'd rather have Lindholm or Provorov too, but either Fowler or Ghost would be nice addition to our top 4. And I realize we would need to give up more than JE for either.
That's the problem though....I'm not comfortable with a top 4 of Dunn and Fowler/Ghost....

IF Lindholm could be had for a deal around Eddy, I'd jump at that unless it was an absurd add. Lindholm doesn't play like Eddy, which some here would hate. He's a less offensively gifted Petro imo, he can shut guys down with little effort and he can certainly skate.

If there's any legs to him being potentially available...I could see Murray being interested in Eddy. Young and more physically imposing...has shown some offensively flair at times.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019

True this season's sample size is relatively small. But it's actually not that much smaller than the sample size of games in previous parts of seasons where he did play like a top-4.

I for one just am not comfortable to give him a raise in the off-season, given the spotty record over his limited career so far. Especially if that's for a long term deal. Honestly, I would like for him to take a slight pay cut based on his lackluster play over this year.

Reactions: Blueston

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That's the problem though....I'm not comfortable with a top 4 of Dunn and Fowler/Ghost....

IF Lindholm could be had for a deal around Eddy, I'd jump at that unless it was an absurd add. Lindholm doesn't play like Eddy, which some here would hate. He's a less offensively gifted Petro imo, he can shut guys down with little effort and he can certainly skate.

If there's any legs to him being potentially available...I could see Murray being interested in Eddy. Young and more physically imposing...has shown some offensively flair at times.
I am comfortable with either Ghost or Fowler with Parayko. Question is whether we are comfortable with Dunn and Petro? I think I would be.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I am comfortable with either Ghost or Fowler with Parayko. Question is whether we are comfortable with Dunn and Petro? I think I would be.
Well he gets shifts there as is. Idk.....alot of options I guess

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I generally prefer Petro with better defensive partner and Parayko with better puck moving partner, but each is good enough to be adaptable.
I think guys just need to be on the same page. When you pigeon hole guys into a role, its easier to defend a breakout. I mean hell...Edmundson scored off a rush...in alone. Petro led a rush and Dunn finished the play as the 3rd man in....the forwards did their job when the dmen jumped.

I think that's more important then PMD/SHD

Reactions: Celtic Note

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
True this season's sample size is relatively small. But it's actually not that much smaller than the sample size of games in previous parts of seasons where he did play like a top-4.

I for one just am not comfortable to give him a raise in the off-season, given the spotty record over his limited career so far. Especially if that's for a long term deal. Honestly, I would like for him to take a slight pay cut based on his lackluster play over this year.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Dunn should have double-digit goals and close to 40 points with increase in 5v5 scoring. Even if he's just a 3rd pairing sheltered guy like Shattenkirk, he's a very valuable piece and I'm happy with his play this season. At times people overrated him, but he's been good in the role he plays.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Any talk of moving Dunn or Eddy should be for a long term upgrade in their position that fills a their tole but better

That's why I talked of building a package around Edmundson for Hampus Lindholm.

ANA may be ready to make some mistakes! Although I imagine Fowler is the likely D-man to go. I wouldn't mind him either. I'm a big fan but their fans are saying injuries have slowed him up a bit and he has a long contract.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There should be a worry about moving too many 1sts though. We do need to make sure we have some top 4 2-way dmen coming up. I don't really see any in our pipeline.

Reactions: Blueston

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Almost all of thsoe are awful contracts. Vlasic and Seabrook especially are anvils.

Like it or not, those are the comparables. If you believe that type of contract is too awful to take on, then the answer is you have to trade Petro this summer or let him walk as a UFA. Teams will be lining up to give Petro that type of contract. Petro might be willing to take a discount to play here, but I doubt he is interested in leaving $10+ mil on the table. Discounts for players signing in their late 20s/early 30s are almost always discounts to AAV in exchange for offering term at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad