Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I am good with the tank talk. Hell at this point if I am Amry that is what I am pushing for. I would keep th guys on IR out as long as possible until they would return at 100% (most of the time guys come back but are still banged up).

I would be shocked if he hasn’t already gone to ownership with an honest assessment of the team and stated that the best route is to tank this year. Keep our top 5 pick a and then really go for it next year.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I am good with the tank talk. Hell at this point if I am Amry that is what I am pushing for. I would keep th guys on IR out as long as possible until they would return at 100% (most of the time guys come back but are still banged up).

I would be shocked if he hasn’t already gone to ownership with an honest assessment of the team and stated that the best route is to tank this year. Keep our top 5 pick a and then really go for it next year.
You don't think his plan was "really going for it" after making the Blues the highest payroll in the NHL?

He just spent a fat amount of Stillmans money.

I don't know how faithful Tom is but if the money was coming out my pocket and the guy who spent it admitted he did a poor job and suggested he be the one to do it again, I'd fire him on the spot. The team has been in limbo for a few years and he's driving the bus.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Is it too early to start discussing an extension for Robert Bortuzzo? I would really like to see him in the Bluenote for another two years. I know he is a bit of a polarizing player on this board, and some think he is blocking Schmaltz. Being that Reinke is our only RD depth, :eyeroll: ,I say we re-sign Bortuzzo and let him duke it out with Schmaltz at the next training camp.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
You don't think his plan was "really going for it" after making the Blues the highest payroll in the NHL?

He just spent a fat amount of Stillmans money.

I don't know how faithful Tom is but if the money was coming out my pocket and the guy who spent it admitted he did a poor job and suggested he be the one to do it again, I'd fire him on the spot. The team has been in limbo for a few years and he's driving the bus.

His plan was to go for it. However, at this point we are better of tanking and he has to know that. We won’t make the playoffs due to being in this hole so we can both agree it is better to tank the year and use our pick then try to make a run at the playoffs and due something rash.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
He will get there.

We seem to be so short focused on our players.

I think he needs about 10 more pound of muscle and he won't get knocked off the puck as much. As to decision making, this can be fixed if they spend time with him.

I've been guilty of being long-focused on prospects.

Over the years, I have patiently waited for players like Paajarvi and Jaskin, to name a couple of recent ones, establish themselves as NHL regulars, and it never happened.

I haven't given up on Sanford and I hope he succeeds. But this is his big chance. He's 24 years old now, and we have other prospects at forward. He could be passed up by the competition.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I like Blais’s game better then that if Sanford. Sanford may not be able to put on muscle or keep it on. But I like Blais skating and physical play much better.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Is it too early to start discussing an extension for Robert Bortuzzo? I would really like to see him in the Bluenote for another two years. I know he is a bit of a polarizing player on this board, and some think he is blocking Schmaltz. Being that Reinke is our only RD depth, :eyeroll: ,I say we re-sign Bortuzzo and let him duke it out with Schmaltz at the next training camp.
Problem with Bortuzzo is durability. He's pretty good player when healthy, but rarely seems to be healthy.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
So we are trashing Sanford, the man with the second highest even strength p/60 on the team? Is it a product of ROR being a goddamn machine? Probably. Does anyone else that plays with ROR get that result? Nah, not really.

I can guarantee that if he gets more ice time his p/60 will go down, but there are results there. Bad game or two doesn't mean anything at this point.

ScratchCatFever

Oct 14, 2018
I like Bortuzzo when he can stay healthy for more than 20 games at a time and doesn't slip into bonehead mode for an entire game or two. If we can fix our D problems going into next year and find a true #LHD defenseman I'm fine with Bortuzzo as our 3rd pairing RHD perhaps in a rotation.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
So we are trashing Sanford, the man with the second highest even strength p/60 on the team? Is it a product of ROR being a goddamn machine? Probably. Does anyone else that plays with ROR get that result? Nah, not really.

I can guarantee that if he gets more ice time his p/60 will go down, but there are results there. Bad game or two doesn't mean anything at this point.
Who cares about points when he could be doing so much more to entertain us? Blais runs around like a madman hitting everyone with no concern for defensive responsibility. Sanford is merely smart and puts himself in position to make plays. How can you not prefer the "effort" player Blais over the productive one?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Reading the Bobrovsky thread made me realize that I prefer dealing with Detroit for Howard, and trade Allen back (hopefully). I still have some confidence that Husso can be an NHL caliber goalie...more than I do that Allen is going to suddenly get it together in St Louis.

I would not be surprised if Allen become a competent goalie at his next stop, but I don't think the team can throw any more good money after the bad with him. Its great that he's on a hot run lately...and I'd love if he plays that way the rest of the season. But I think we've ridden this rollercoaster for too long.

I don't see any goalie solutions around that look more likely or more reasonable. If I were negotiating as a new coach, I'd make a point about wanting the goal position to be addressed.

IcePhoenix

Nov 15, 2018
Finland
I don't even know what to suggest the Blues to do next. We can't score goals, we can't play defence and we don't have reliable number one G. Someone explain me how the hell Blues became first team in the league. When did this happen??

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Blow it up....the team culture is toxic

img.jpg

hereisnowhy

Oct 18, 2018
Haven’t turned off a game, especially a day game, since I don’t know when. Even my 6 yr old didn’t want to watch that S show...

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Its not Armstrong's fault if he's not fired. So assuming he isn't, I don't think I could fault him for any move he makes next. I have no idea what to do to fix this.

They need a coach that can rally some confidence and effort. Maybe the shock of losing their early season goals has left the team with little way to rally for motivation, when they realize they aren't playing for the post-season any more. But at some point, guys are playing for their careers here, and that should motivate them. They kind of look like they did when I thought they'd checked out on Yeo, and were just waiting for the shoe to drop. But what could they be waiting for now?

But I don't really think any new coach could change the direction of this season. He'll need to come in off-season. I can't see any way Armstrong doesn't make a complexion changing trade. I'm starting to believe JR when he thinks Pietro or Tarasenko could be dealt. Steen at the minimum. I'm not saying I personally believe that will fix anything, but I also don't think you can possibly bring the same basic roster to training camp next year.

There's just nothing to say any more. The team is sick at heart.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Deal Tank and Petro.

The team culture is soft and uninspired. No way in hell these two will lead the Blues through a tough playoff run.

I'm sorry, but there is no pride or fight in this team.

Just loser attitudes.

Reactions: Sushiko

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Deal Tank and Petro.

The team culture is soft and uninspired. No way in hell these two will lead the Blues through a tough playoff run.

I'm sorry, but there is no pride or fight in this team.

Just loser attitudes.

I’d have to see the return, but I’m not opposed. We need to get younger, faster, tougher, grittier

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Its not Armstrong's fault if he's not fired. So assuming he isn't, I don't think I could fault him for any move he makes next. I have no idea what to do to fix this.

They need a coach that can rally some confidence and effort. Maybe the shock of losing their early season goals has left the team with little way to rally for motivation, when they realize they aren't playing for the post-season any more. But at some point, guys are playing for their careers here, and that should motivate them. They kind of look like they did when I thought they'd checked out on Yeo, and were just waiting for the shoe to drop. But what could they be waiting for now?

But I don't really think any new coach could change the direction of this season. He'll need to come in off-season. I can't see any way Armstrong doesn't make a complexion changing trade. I'm starting to believe JR when he thinks Pietro or Tarasenko could be dealt. Steen at the minimum. I'm not saying I personally believe that will fix anything, but I also don't think you can possibly bring the same basic roster to training camp next year.

There's just nothing to say any more. The team is sick at heart.
They need their next coach, not an interim coach. Right now the team is in limbo, with no real future to work towards other than to "play better." They need to know what their future is so that they can generate some excitement for it and build toward that.

Letting a team wallow in this hopeless morass all season is not doing them any favors, even if the Blues get a better draft pick as a result. The more you allow this to bake into the team, the harder it's going to be for the next guy to undo the mess.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
They need their next coach, not an interim coach. Right now the team is in limbo, with no real future to work towards other than to "play better." They need to know what their future is so that they can generate some excitement for it and build toward that.

Letting a team wallow in this hopeless morass all season is not doing them any favors, even if the Blues get a better draft pick as a result. The more you allow this to bake into the team, the harder it's going to be for the next guy to undo the mess.
I can’t argue with that. It doesn’t give me any hope for the future, though.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Not trashing him but lamenting his recent performances. Surely we are allowed to do that, aren't we?

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Recently we've heard rumbles of management being unhappy with Tarasenko, that abomination rumor with Toronto and Elliotte Freidman said the Blues "were the most active" in trade talks.

Which terrifies me because I know the trade will likely be horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad