Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
So Patrick Maroons assists Lol....except 1 of them? I do agree with you, you have to watch how the play developed. That's why I hate "primary" assist. The secondary assist may have been the high end play that set up a simple bang bang play. All of it really is eye test. A few players have made a few goals happen that he didnt register a point on because they would have been the 1st person to make a pace but the 4th person in possesion

Yea, or a screen on the goalie, or a hard check that knocks the puck loose or any of several other ways you can contribute to a goal and never touch the puck. But a shot goes off some guys ass into the net (aka a Rattie) and he gets a goal for it.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
SOOOO... Practice was canceled today???

Grabs tin foil hat....

Hmmmm...... Can't be to reward the win. I'd assume there would be a good reason to cancel practice when you are struggling to find points and come off game you are outchanced 2 to 1. Coaching change would be an obvious possibility. Although we do have 2 days off, so maybe its just a rest day with practice again tomorrow.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yea, or a screen on the goalie, or a hard check that knocks the puck loose or any of several other ways you can contribute to a goal and never touch the puck. But a shot goes off some guys ass into the net (aka a Rattie) and he gets a goal for it.
I use to worry about the Maroon extention....that's diminishing with his less and less role on the team. Last night was a prime example of why he should not be getting pp1 usage. His value is to stand in front of a goalie....his decision making cost the Blues zone time twice. His on paper production is standing at the side of the net and gives out lay up passes. I'd put Fabbri in his spot without hessitatiton

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
TIn.png
Who knows what Army is doing behind the scenes. He could be kicking tires, he could be negotiating a contract for a new coach, he could’ve inquired on Q or others and told they weren’t interested or at least not interested at this time (reports are that Q may take some time to decide his next step). Who knows...but if he’s going to replace Yeo, he has to have his replacement set up first and that takes time and both sides to agree.

Agreed that why I am wearing my tin foil hat... just waiting for the press conference to be called...

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
Hmmmm...... Can't be to reward the win. I'd assume there would be a good reason to cancel practice when you are struggling to find points and come off game you are outchanced 2 to 1. Coaching change would be an obvious possibility. Although we do have 2 days off, so maybe its just a rest day with practice again tomorrow.

for as bad as they played last night... I cant see it being a reward.. but stranger things have happened....

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
for as bad as they played last night... I cant see it being a reward.. but stranger things have happened....
That is indeed odd. They clearly have some things to work on so I'd like if they practiced. They'd still have plenty of energy for Friday's game.

Welp I'm gonna get my hopes up and refresh Twitter until I get let down.

Reactions: Chief Steele

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I don't buy that as a reason. They would have made arrangements well in advance if that were the case, even if the team practiced elsewhere.

Is there a source for this rumor of practice being canceled?

most of the beat writers are just saying its canceled. nothing else whatever the reason its being tight lipped about it. I tired to get Korac to give up something even if it wasn't true and he is not biting either some know or the Blues are keeping it a real secret. but after Tommy's face was splashed on TV and the look he had even when we where up by 4 ( I think it was right after ROR Hatty) you could see he was not happy at all....

UPDATE: Per Korac's twitter

Mike Yeo said today wasn't a canceled day. "There's been a lot of emotion lately. ... It's more of a mental reset day and get the guys a chance to recover from last night and get prepared for a good, hard practice tomorrow." #stlblues

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
God I hope that is coach talk for....I dont have a job past this evening. If that is just the truth, this team is a god damn mess and I've got nothing else to hope for.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol mental rest day to recover from last night? Yeah, that doesn't add up.

No wonder the team looks awful, there's nobody to push them. From Sunday through tomorrow they'll have played 1 game this week. They've had one of the lighter schedules in the league and have 2 games in hand on most teams.

Not really a good sign if they need a rest already. This team needs to clean up their play, that's what they need.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
most of the beat writers are just saying its canceled. nothing else whatever the reason its being tight lipped about it. I tired to get Korac to give up something even if it wasn't true and he is not biting either some know or the Blues are keeping it a real secret. but after Tommy's face was splashed on TV and the look he had even when we where up by 4 ( I think it was right after ROR Hatty) you could see he was not happy at all....

Mike Yeo said today wasn't a canceled day. "There's been a lot of emotion lately. ... It's more of a mental reset day and get the guys a chance to recover from last night and get prepared for a good, hard practice tomorrow." #stlblues

Mental rest day...

giphy.gif

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

I don't understand the quote from Yeo. "not a canceled day" vs a "mental reset day". What's the distinction here?

Its hard to make sense logically, when the structure seems in disarray, isn't that when you need to practice the most? These gaps between games are precious opportunities. I don't know, maybe the coach looks at 12 games in 24 days and pre-emptively gives a day off to get through that grind better.

I agree, Stillman didn't look very celebratory after the hat trick. I'm glad he's the type of owner who is there and visible. I know he's just as worried as we are.

Reactions: Chief Steele

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Sanford only had 10 minutes last night, but i was impressed again with his speed and assertiveness. He is night and day better than before the injury. So much more sturdy and confident.
With Fabbri looking amazingly recovered Fred may not get much top 6 time, but he looks like he will be a plus wherever they plug him in.

Reactions: Zamadoo

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Thinking that Yeo is about to be fired after winning 3 or the last 4 is wishful thinking. The noose loosened after last night

It's the perfect opportunity. Army got the information he needed out of him in this meeting without tipping his hand, while simultaneously keeping Yeo from coaching the players. Now the players will have forgotten in one day of mental rest the nothing that Yeo taught them and be ready for Coach Q.

Reactions: RoarBacon

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Thinking that Yeo is about to be fired after winning 3 or the last 4 is wishful thinking. The noose loosened after last night

Noose didn't loosen after last nights win. Anyone beyond a casual fan or scoreboard watcher could see Blues were outplayed for most of the game.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
If Q is interested, Yeo is gone if managment will pay. These teams is too inconsistent and there have been glaring holes going back to last year

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
If Q is interested, Yeo is gone if managment will pay. These teams is too inconsistent and there have been glaring holes going back to last year
Blues would be going from one of the cheapest coaches in the league to one of the most expensive. Probably significantly more than the other options (Sutter might be close?). Millions more, for a team that has struggled early on and could possibly miss the playoffs for a 2nd year in a row.

I really dont get the feeling he is in any hurry to take another job. Why not wait until the end of the season, have your pick of the litter? He gets paid either way.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blues would be going from one of the cheapest coaches in the league to one of the most expensive. Probably significantly more than the other options (Sutter might be close?). Millions more, for a team that has struggled early on and could possibly miss the playoffs for a 2nd year in a row.

I really dont get the feeling he is in any hurry to take another job. Why not wait until the end of the season, have your pick of the litter? He gets paid either way.
This is true, but one could make the argument that this may be the Blues best chance for playoff success and maybe a cup. Does that make the investment worth it? If things continue the way they are....all the cap spending will of been for nothing.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
And yet if we lose our next game, we'll still be below .500.

Yeo's press conference last night sounded like a coach making a desperate plea to keep his job. He made sure to mention we've won 3 out of our last 4. It doesn't seem to me like a coach who is safe and in good standing would care about that too much, considering how much work the team still has to do to get to the level they need to be at.

The quarter mark of the season isn't that far away. Armstrong would be insane to let the ship continue to sink at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad