Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
It looks like he will but he needs to grow a set and say " he is sitting due to his poor play" not he needs a reset... didn't he get that yesterday

Reactions: Dbrownss

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I honestly dont see it that way. He immediately said it doesnt feel like it. I don't think he's trying to build a case when he admits the team looks lik crap even when winning
He cited it twice in a short time in the same interview. I read it as another way of saying, "its not that bad". I didn't get to actually hear him say it in context, so maybe I'm reading into it.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He cited it twice in a short time in the same interview. I read it as another way of saying, "its not that bad". I didn't get to actually hear him say it in context, so maybe I'm reading into it.
Listen to the interview. Sets the tone well, didnt sound like he was happy

Last edited:

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
This makes it sound like Parayko is on his period.

I was recently told at work that when taking days off, they wanted me to submit the written request (which can be submitted retroactively) as a personal day. The reason could be to attend a concert, a doctor's appointment, do maintenance on my car or hold a raging kegger - I wasn't required to describe my reasons. Of course, they encouraged me to provide as much notice as possible, especially when taking multiple days off...

I'd imagine that the same thing would apply to professional athletes, so long as it wasn't injury related, in which case the team would be notified and would issue some sort of vague press release.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
People have been frustrated with our defense this year and rightly so. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but think about all of the good defensive forwards this team has lost recently: Stastny, Berglund, Sobotka, Brodziak, Upshall. I wonder if this is contributing to our defensive struggles. Of course those guys didn't create much offense but they seemed strong on defense, not to mention a huge part of our PK. In recent years we always had a strong 4th line that we could trust at both ends of the ice. I'm not saying I would rather have these guys back on the team, just something to think about.

Not to say that the other reasons aren't valid (coaching/defense/goaltending) but I wonder if people are overlooking the fact that we lost a lot of forwards who did some heavy lifting on the defensive side. Plus, guys we used to rely on heavily for D (Steen/Bouw) have lost a step or two as well. We wanted a roster that could create more offense and we got it, but perhaps at the expense of our previously solid team defense.

Reactions: simon IC

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
People have been frustrated with our defense this year and rightly so. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this before, but think about all of the good defensive forwards this team has lost recently: Stastny, Berglund, Sobotka, Brodziak, Upshall. I wonder if this is contributing to our defensive struggles. Of course those guys didn't create much offense but they seemed strong on defense, not to mention a huge part of our PK. In recent years we always had a strong 4th line that we could trust at both ends of the ice. I'm not saying I would rather have these guys back on the team, just something to think about.

Not to say that the other reasons aren't valid (coaching/defense/goaltending) but I wonder if people are overlooking the fact that we lost a lot of forwards who did some heavy lifting on the defensive side. Plus, guys we used to rely on heavily for D (Steen/Bouw) have lost a step or two as well. We wanted a roster that could create more offense and we got it, but perhaps at the expense of our previously solid team defense.
I dont think it should be ignored but the defense just flat out looks bad. Its mental mistakes they are making more then lack of support.

Reactions: The Note in MI

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I dont think it should be ignored but the defense just flat out looks bad. Its mental mistakes they are making more then lack of support.
Could the defenseman just be adjusting to playing without two way forwards? It's a valid point. The defense has been bad. We've been crying for a couple of years for speed and an offensive group of forwards. We have it now. They don't play two way hockey. It's weird seeing it, but we are actually scoring now.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Could the defenseman just be adjusting to playing without two way forwards? It's a valid point. The defense has been bad. We've been crying for a couple of years for speed and an offensive group of forwards. We have it now. They don't play two way hockey. It's weird seeing it, but we are actually scoring now.
Maybe, I havnt been to any games so I'm only privy to what I see...and to be honest, I may not recognize forward error in the dzone. This is something I was direct towards Easton.

The mistakes I am seeing though I would not attribute to lack of defensive forwards. Unless a forward is suppose to bail the dman out. Our top 4 should not be commiting the mistakes they are. I see weaker rosters defend much better then our guys are.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

Jaskin still can't get any love haha.

Russian Machine Never Breaks just put out an article about Jaskin and how his shot suppression is just absurdly good.

I agree with your premise though. The D has not been good at all, but the downgrade to our forward's 2 way ability is certainly part of the puzzle. Hopefully the unforced errors and mental mistakes we keep seeing are just growing pains to our blueliners adjusting and not the new normal. I expected to give up some more goals this year, but not at the rate we have been.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Maybe, I havnt been to any games so I'm only privy to what I see...and to be honest, I may not recognize forward error in the dzone. This is something I was direct towards Easton.

The mistakes I am seeing though I would not attribute to lack of defensive forwards. Unless a forward is suppose to bail the dman out. Our top 4 should not be commiting the mistakes they are. I see weaker rosters defend much better then our guys are.

Forwards have definitely made mistakes, dropped assignments, been out-of-place, etc. However, we don't know the intended defensive plan/structure, so its hard to say for sure what the forward should be doing in a variety of situations. That crazy man-to-man hybrid thing they ran for awhile changed up a lot of D-zone assignments. Or for example when a D pinches, generally a forward should circle back to be ready to defend the rush if things go the other way, but maybe we are all in on offense and telling our forwards not to bother. Or maybe the D aren't ever supposed to pinch in that situation so the forward is taken by surprise on a bad pinch. In either case, the forward would appear out of position, but one would be on the coach and one would be on the D. Its also possible the forward was caught day-dreaming or flat-footed and is the one at fault.

@EastonBlues22 could definitely break down the X and Os better and maybe give some examples of when forwards messed up. I remember a few instances where he has pointed out forward error in posts this season. But I don't remember the details.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
most of the forwards are doing what they are supposed to. it seems we change the D scheme depending on who we play. i.e. when we played Hawks it was a one on one in the D thinking they could pressure Kane more that way. it seems the D are sometimes confused. as much as we miss some players I cant see that being the reason we are suffering in the D zone.. I think they are trying new schemes and its not working at all. I also think there is now a blue print out on how to beat our break out...

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
most of the forwards are doing what they are supposed to. it seems we change the D scheme depending on who we play. i.e. when we played Hawks it was a one on one in the D thinking they could pressure Kane more that way. it seems the D are sometimes confused. as much as we miss some players I cant see that being the reason we are suffering in the D zone.. I think they are trying new schemes and its not working at all. I also think there is now a blue print out on how to beat our break out...
I mostly agree with this but some of the glaring mistakes just seem to be brain dead plays

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I think the downgrade in defensive forwards is definitely at issue. However, I don't think its as big of a downgrade as people are making it out to be. We did add ROR, a top 5 defensive forward in the league in my mind. Barbashev has recommitted himself to playing D. Bozak is much better than people think because he no longer has to carry complete dead-weight forwards on D. Perron is solid defensively. Thomas is good defensively for a rookie.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

It certainly hasn’t helped and it was a question raised this offseason. Not many felt compelled to agree that it would matter. I thought it would and think it has contributed to our underwhelming results. But, coaching and goaltending are having a drastically bigger impact IMO.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think the downgrade in defensive forwards is definitely at issue. However, I don't think its as big of a downgrade as people are making it out to be. We did add ROR, a top 5 defensive forward in the league in my mind. Barbashev has recommitted himself to playing D. Bozak is much better than people think because he no longer has to carry complete dead-weight forwards on D. Perron is solid defensively. Thomas is good defensively for a rookie.
I think the net change is from strong defensive forwards to ok / solid defense from the forwards. It’s still a net loss, but not a big loss. It also seems that the puck possession has dropped off despite having more skilled forwards. The team structure is also lacking which could be amplifying the impact of the above.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
If anyone has the time and the means, I would recommend watching a Lightning game and pay attention to how they complete their zone exits, with their forwards working hand-in-glove with their D. Their main strategy seems to be to move the puck up to the half wall and then flood the weak side with 2-3 forwards, leaving the player who made the pass to the half wall back to defend. How they consistently manage to get the puck from the defended player on the half wall to the virtually undefended weak side of the ice and move unimpeded with speed into transition is poetry in motion.

Contrast this with Q's strategy from his time in Chicago, which was a counter-attack using the middle of the ice and stretch passes from the D-zone to the neutral zone. Both can be very effective if you have "buy-in" and players are executing properly. For either, you don't really need players with speed as much as you need players who can play fast and make quick decisions with the puck.

Reactions: Chief Steele

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
If anyone has the time and the means, I would recommend watching a Lightning game and pay attention to how they complete their zone exits, with their forwards working hand-in-glove with their D. Their main strategy seems to be to move the puck up to the half wall and then flood the weak side with 2-3 forwards, leaving the player who made the pass to the half wall back to defend. How they consistently manage to get the puck from the defended player on the half wall to the virtually undefended weak side of the ice and move unimpeded with speed into transition is poetry in motion.

Contrast this with Q's strategy from his time in Chicago, which was a counter-attack using the middle of the ice and stretch passes from the D-zone to the neutral zone. Both can be very effective if you have "buy-in" and players are executing properly. For either, you don't really need players with speed as much as you need players who can play fast and make quick decisions with the puck.

the last part is the one thing it seems the Blues do not have right now and that is buy-in at least not from everyone.. I wish we could all find out what is really going on... something has changed drastically with this team.. I don't think its the loss of some of the 2 way forwards. ROR and Bozak have been really good in the D zone as have some of the younger players. It's very apparent that Dunn is going through the dreaded sophomore slump he has looked good at times and bad at times. Petro is night and day depending on who he is paired with, and the excuses from Yeo is not willing anyone over just be honest with the fans believe it or not you would get a longer leash and more respect than what he has now.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
the last part is the one thing it seems the Blues do not have right now and that is buy-in at least not from everyone.. I wish we could all find out what is really going on... something has changed drastically with this team.. I don't think its the loss of some of the 2 way forwards. ROR and Bozak have been really good in the D zone as have some of the younger players. It's very apparent that Dunn is going through the dreaded sophomore slump he has looked good at times and bad at times. Petro is night and day depending on who he is paired with, and the excuses from Yeo is not willing anyone over just be honest with the fans believe it or not you would get a longer leash and more respect than what he has now.

Though Dunn's offensive numbers have bloomed. I'd like to see him partnered with a more stay at home counterpart on the 2nd/3rd pairing and continue to QB the PP. It's a pity he's a LD, an Edmundson/Dunn pairing could be pretty solid if neither had to play their off-wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad