Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
This is so off topic, but I watched the big Seabrook hit in the '14 ploffs and I'm amazed that Backes got completely destroyed and still got up and tried to fight the entire team before going off to the locker room lol what a beast

This makes me so sad. A grizzled warrior taken advantage of.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
So just seen Bokk singed his entry level deal.. question now is does he go back overseas or does he stay in North America?

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Has there been a season in the last 5-10 years that you guy remember being more exciting than this one? I know Tank coming over was big and Schwartzy was awesome once the season started, but I'm pumped for this season. Im pumped that we have a new feel to this team. It seems like we have this team of players that have a desire to play in the Note and that gives me hope that the lack of heart(at times last year it felt that we just accepted losses because we were losing) is gone and we are going to have a gritty grinding team... I'm Jazzed

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Has there been a season in the last 5-10 years that you guy remember being more exciting than this one? I know Tank coming over was big and Schwartzy was awesome once the season started, but I'm pumped for this season. Im pumped that we have a new feel to this team. It seems like we have this team of players that have a desire to play in the Note and that gives me hope that the lack of heart(at times last year it felt that we just accepted losses because we were losing) is gone and we are going to have a gritty grinding team... I'm Jazzed

Entering 2014-15 for me. We came off of a good season where we finished 4th in the league missed division by 1. We didn't go far in the playoffs but were sunk by Miller and IIRC injuries. Then we added Stastny that off-season who I thought would be a 70 point player with Tarasenko. We also added Lehtera, who we didn't know was snail slow. Tarasenko was coming into his own. Steen had just had his best offensive season. We were done with Miller and finally giving Elliott the reins (which as Dizee will tell you, I am an Elliott fanboy). It didn't quite work out how I had hoped. Wild ended up smoking us in 6 games in round 1 :oops:

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Players like Schmaltz regularly sign for below their qualifying offer to get a one-way deal. It’s far more money in a year than he’s had and it’s a certainty.

Taking the two-way deal is a risk. Have a bad 30 games and are you sure that a team is going to pick you up off waivers? Do you want to shift teams for 20 games and then be reclaimed? Etc.

Because Bouwmeester has a NTC & far higher cap hit and salary. The assumption is that Gunnarsson would be far easier to move.

I'm not saying that there is zero chance of him signing at $750k, but I don't think it is a guarantee. I could see him using the threat of signing his QO as leverage to get an $800-850k deal. At the moment, every dollar is crucial to the Blues and even $50k of cap savings off of his QO could be important for the club. There is absolutely risk to Schmaltz in taking the QO, but IMO it is a fairly low amount of risk. We need him for depth on the right side and the odds of him making it through waivers are slim. It's not like he has made a home in St. Louis and would have to uproot if claimed by another team. If I were him, I'd be happy to bounce around a couple teams if it meant I could be 6th on the depth chart in the NHL instead of 8th. This is a huge year for him and he needs to play regularly in the NHL. IMO, the realistic 'bad' outcome of taking his QO is that he spends two thirds of the year on an NHL roster and makes $600k or so. It would be less than $750k, but there is a 50/50 chance that it also involves him being a 6th D man instead of the 8th D man.

I'd take the guaranteed $750k, but I just don't think it is locked in.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
They're not trading Steen.

He's the only one left of the "old core". He's still got something to offer, but on this team, he's clearly down the depth chart a bit now. Yes, he has a NTC, but at this point, I think he'd accept a trade to Vegas, Winnipeg, or another contender. Someone would also pay a decent price. I like Steen even though I've been critical of him. I don't like his cap hit though at his current age. Bozak offers more and is paid less. I think the cap relief is important down the road, especially if this team needs a little help at the deadline. He'd be my choice, especially with Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester basically being immovable right now because of the injuries.

Vegas would be my first call as he'd probably waive to be back with Stastny.

And can I ask, why are you so definitive that they aren't trading him. They have options at LW now. No, you can't fully trust Fabbri but there's Perron, Maroon, Kyrou, and Thomas who could all move up. I'm just curious why you are so sure Armstrong wouldn't trade him as he's moved out anyone who I would think were his closer friends.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
He's the only one left of the "old core". He's still got something to offer, but on this team, he's clearly down the depth chart a bit now. Yes, he has a NTC, but at this point, I think he'd accept a trade to Vegas, Winnipeg, or another contender. Someone would also pay a decent price. I like Steen even though I've been critical of him. I don't like his cap hit though at his current age. Bozak offers more and is paid less. I think the cap relief is important down the road, especially if this team needs a little help at the deadline. He'd be my choice, especially with Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester basically being immovable right now because of the injuries.

Vegas would be my first call as he'd probably waive to be back with Stastny.

And can I ask, why are you so definitive that they aren't trading him. They have options at LW now. No, you can't fully trust Fabbri but there's Perron, Maroon, Kyrou, and Thomas who could all move up. I'm just curious why you are so sure Armstrong wouldn't trade him as he's moved out anyone who I would think were his closer friends.
Army is adding to core, not subtracting. Steen is key leader on team, can play any forward slot, up or down lineup. He is obviously not player he was a few years ago, but is still important part of the team. And Army is a loyal guy. It just isn't in his MO to trade a guy like Steen at this point. If we were rebuilding might be different, but since he wants to contend just can't see him trading Steen.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
Army is adding to core, not subtracting. Steen is key leader on team, can play any forward slot, up or down lineup. He is obviously not player he was a few years ago, but is still important part of the team. And Army is a loyal guy. It just isn't in his MO to trade a guy like Steen at this point. If we were rebuilding might be different, but since he wants to contend just can't see him trading Steen.

First Bold: What makes him a key leader on the team? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't see him being a key leader anymore. Pietrangelo (even though some don't like his leadership), Tarasenko, Schenn, Schwartz, now with O'Reilly, Bozak, and Maroon, I think the Blues have plenty of good leadership.

Second Bold: No, he really can't. He struggled at RW last season and he's never been a good C when he's had to fill in there either. He's a LW at this point.

I agree that it isn't Army's normal way of doing business, but this off-season has been far from ordinary for him. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Steen. I don't view him as a needed piece anymore.

Reactions: STLomacneko

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
First Bold: What makes him a key leader on the team? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't see him being a key leader anymore. Pietrangelo (even though some don't like his leadership), Tarasenko, Schenn, Schwartz, now with O'Reilly, Bozak, and Maroon, I think the Blues have plenty of good leadership.

Second Bold: No, he really can't. He struggled at RW last season and he's never been a good C when he's had to fill in there either. He's a LW at this point.

I agree that it isn't Army's normal way of doing business, but this off-season has been far from ordinary for him. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Steen. I don't view him as a needed piece anymore.

I agree with Steen being on the outside looking in.. I like what he has brought to the table in his time with the Blues.. But I think he can see the writing on the wall.. If his playing time is cut and right now on paper it looks like it might be cut, he may ask to be moved.. He may not and want to win and go into camp with a chip wanting to show he can still play. Which would be the best outcome for the Blues. If he has a average or bad camp what do you do with him?

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
Entering 2014-15 for me. We came off of a good season where we finished 4th in the league missed division by 1. We didn't go far in the playoffs but were sunk by Miller and IIRC injuries. Then we added Stastny that off-season who I thought would be a 70 point player with Tarasenko. We also added Lehtera, who we didn't know was snail slow. Tarasenko was coming into his own. Steen had just had his best offensive season. We were done with Miller and finally giving Elliott the reins (which as Dizee will tell you, I am an Elliott fanboy). It didn't quite work out how I had hoped. Wild ended up smoking us in 6 games in round 1 :oops:
Man I had a different off season than you did lol. I hated the Miller trade before i even knew what we were trading. He didnt look good all year IMO and everyone was acting like we got 2010 American hero RM back.. infuriated me. I have never been a big Steen fan so that year I didnt believe that shooting % and production was going to repeat. But Stastny...Ohhhhhh Stastny....I also thought that he was going to end up being a monster here. It just seemed like 91 and him would be perfect. But even though he never became the 60-70(or even 50 LOL) pt #1C i thought he was going to be, I still like Stas

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Man I had a different off season than you did lol. I hated the Miller trade before i even knew what we were trading. He didnt look good all year IMO and everyone was acting like we got 2010 American hero RM back.. infuriated me. I have never been a big Steen fan so that year I didnt believe that shooting % and production was going to repeat. But Stastny...Ohhhhhh Stastny....I also thought that he was going to end up being a monster here. It just seemed like 91 and him would be perfect. But even though he never became the 60-70(or even 50 LOL) pt #1C i thought he was going to be, I still like Stas

Oh don't get me wrong, I despised the Miller trade. I joined this board to bitch about the Miller trade. It was no signing him back that I liked. We had already traded for Miller, so the damage was done. We made the decision not to re-sign him that off-season. Sometimes doing nothing is a good decision, and that is what I liked, not signing Miller and rolling with Elliott..

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

I will start by saying we don’t have access to the locker room so it’s hard to say exactly how loud his voice is in that room, but the beat writers have always spoken very highly of his impact there. I also find it hard to believe he’s been elbowed out somehow since he was one of 3 players we had reach out to Maroon to ask him to come here. I also don’t think there’s such a thing as too many leaders, but I suppose that depends on your perspective of what leadership is/means.

I think Steen’s performance will speak for itself, but I don’t think there’s any reason to question his value as a leader at all. In other words, there’s no reason to create a story about his character to justify wanting to ship him out. We shipped out Captain Backes when it was time, and I don’t think that had anything to do with his leadership either. It’s a business, and when it’s time it’s time.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I will start by saying we don’t have access to the locker room so it’s hard to say exactly how loud his voice is in that room, but the beat writers have always spoken very highly of his impact there. I also find it hard to believe he’s been elbowed out somehow since he was one of 3 players we had reach out to Maroon to ask him to come here. I also don’t think there’s such a thing as too many leaders, but I suppose that depends on your perspective of what leadership is/means.

I think Steen’s performance will speak for itself, but I don’t think there’s any reason to question his value as a leader at all. In other words, there’s no reason to create a story about his character to justify wanting to ship him out. We shipped out Captain Backes when it was time, and I don’t think that had anything to do with his leadership either. It’s a business, and when it’s time it’s time.

First Bold:
I know he reached out, but does that also mean Fabbri is an important leader on this team? Based on your statement, it does.

Second Bold:
I didn't create a story about his character at all. If you think so, please show me where. I even said he could still be a big part of the locker room, but from the outside looking in, it doesn't look like he is needed anymore.

Third Bold:
We didn't ship Backes out. Armstrong wanted him back, but not at the cost of the extra year, so Army didn't up the offer. Very different. Also, maybe it is time but as you said, Armstrong is a loyal guy and he wants to give Steen the chance.

The core of this team that Steen was a part of is now gone. You could argue Pietrangelo, Schwartz, Tarasenko, and Perron, but Perron has been in and out and Pietrangelo, Schwartz, and Tarasenko have been identified as the "new core". Again, his leadership could still be important, but with the changing of the guard, I can also see that maybe his leadership isn't needed anymore and the time is now for him to go, but because Armstrong is a loyal guy, he's hanging on.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't think there is a rush to trade Steen and I definitely don't think he's the piece who is moved if we need to free up a few hundred grand of cap space for an Eddie extension. With Bo and Gunnar coming off the books next summer, we're in good shape against the cap next season. So I only see him moved next summer if it is part of a major move (or as a side deal in order to create space for a major move).

We don't really need Steen off the books until we have to deal with Petro/Schenn and Dunn's contracts. A lot can change before then and we may or may not have an expansion draft that could lead to clearing salary. A buyout is a realistic possibility for the last year of his contract as well (would free up about $2.3 mil in cap space for the final year of his deal and then we'd only take a $1.1 mil cap hit the season after that.

This is a roundabout way of saying that the organization doesn't need to move him anytime soon and are unlikely to be painted into a corner with him if he regresses substantially. He's a luxury we can afford for our 3rd line right now and moving him creates a bigger hole than moving a depth D man for this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad