Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
='McSwaingles28'I don’t know if it makes sense to keep a guy like Gunnarson if you can sign a Pat Maroon. We need a big man. I don’t see him as just a fourth line player. Maybe at times he would be there but the man had 17 goals and 43 points last season and 42 points the season before with a whooping 27 goals. The man can score plus he’s gotta bit of a mean streak with a 6’3” 230 lbs frame. ( Patrick Maroon - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps ) The guy can probably play wherever you need him to be. Our powerplay didn’t do much for us last year. Maybe when the #2 PP unit needs adjustment you can place him in a net front presence role, scooping up some garbage. To my point of what you can do with Gunnarson, hey maybe you keep him for depth on the left side and take a pass on Maroon because of term and $$ amount. But with Dunn playing so well, I see for him a definite potential of being a top 6 D to maybe even a top 4 D. Why keep Gunnarson besides being added depth? At a $2.9 million cap hit for a top 6 D that might not play much. Weighing the potential signing of a good forward like Maroon to a $2 million+ contract and an existing $2.9 million contract in a depth D man. I like Maroon’s only if we can move a Gunnarson. You guys tell me...

I'm like broken record now, but we need to re-evaluate Jbo's and Gunnar's condition when they are coming from injuries. Compare where Mikkola and Walman are vs. Jbo and Gunnar. If one of Mikkola or Walman can showcase they belong in the NHL level and can match-up vs. Jbo or Gunnar no doubt we'll see trade, but I don't view its going to happend this off-season, most likely its going to happend at TDL or if there is good value for it November - December we could see earlier trade.

I'd pushed hard for trading Jbo and Gunnar earlier, but things have changed from bublle team for conternder after Army's off-season domination. We're all-in and all depth is important for going forward at post-season. I don't see anything what could ruined our chances to miss playoffs. This team at paper is 1st/2nd at Central Division, by far best Blues team in paper what I've cheered/bashed.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Jaškin signs a 1 year extension at $1.1m.
Kind of surprised he didn't get a 2nd year (coming off a 2 year deal) and a bigger raise, but he seems to be getting pushed down the roster and maybe this will be the spark he needs to become the player we thought he would be. That 2RW spot alongside Schwartz and Schenn should have been his for the taking, but he's going to need to show a lot more production in training camp and pre-season if he's going to grab a Top 6 (or even Top 9) role now.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Kind of surprised he didn't get a 2nd year (coming off a 2 year deal) and a bigger raise, but he seems to be getting pushed down the roster and maybe this will be the spark he needs to become the player we thought he would be. That 2RW spot alongside Schwartz and Schenn should have been his for the taking, but he's going to need to show a lot more production in training camp and pre-season if he's going to grab a Top 6 (or even Top 9) role now.
I'll save you the time: he's not going to.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
So right now, the Blues have $46,041,667 invested in 14 forwards with the Jaskin contract. If you promote Thomas ($894,166) and send Nolan ($650K), Sunny ($700K) and Thorbs ($900k) to the AHL, that leaves you with $44,685,833 in cap for 12 forwards.

With 6 signed defensemen on the roster we are using $22,172,500 in cap space. Assuming a $750K 1 year deal for Schmaltz and a $4M AAV on a long term deal for Edmundson, that bumps you to $26,922,500 for 8 defensemen.

With $6,100,000 tied up in the two goalies, your total cap hit for a roster of 22 (12/8/2) is $77,708,333 leaving you $1,791,667 in cap space to add a 13th forward.

It was suggested in another thread that the Blues might be working on a deal for roughly $1.5M this season for Maroon with a promise of a multi-year extension at a higher salary - that seems unlikely without another move given that it would leave less than $300K in cap space to start the year, meaning you could not add another player to the roster if you lost one to a short term injury.

The more likely path (aside from trading Gunnarsson, with some retention if necessary) is to keep either Sunny or Thorbs on the roster, or add Kyrou/Blais/Sanford to keep your cap space at or around a million. Personally, I think they end up moving Gunnarsson to a team looking for D depth before the season starts, with $900K retained, plus a conditional pick in case he's not healthy enough to play 50-60 games, for a 4th to replace the one we lost when we picked up Soshnikov. A reasonably healthy Gunnarsson at $2M for one year is a pretty good value for a 5/6 veteran D.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

Wouldn't the second year of a 2 year deal be his 7th season? Thus it would take him to Unrestricted free agency. This way we still get one more RFA contract.

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Wouldn't the second year of a 2 year deal be his 7th season? Thus it would take him to Unrestricted free agency. This way we still get one more RFA contract.
You are correct. Not because of his 7 seasons, though, but because he would be 27 when it ended. His first two seasons of 2 and 18 games weren't enough for him to accrue a year of service. Yet another reason why he really needs to prove something this season. He's getting a little long in the tooth to still be considered a prospect.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You are correct. Not because of his 7 seasons, though, but because he would be 27 when it ended. His first two seasons of 2 and 18 games weren't enough for him to accrue a year of service. Yet another reason why he really needs to prove something this season. He's getting a little long in the tooth to still be considered a prospect.

Oh you are right. I had the right idea that he'd be hitting UFA but looked at the one season of AHL games as an NHL season. That's what I get for a rush check.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I'd want more than a 4th for Gunnarsson...maybe that's just me. $2.9M is a fair contract for a reliable vet...I'd hope Army would ask for a 2nd and settle for a 3rd, at minimum.

Reactions: simon IC

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I think if we do sign Maroon, we should go for a better version of Vegas’ 4 line attack. Something along the lines of

Fabbri-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Steen-Bozak-Perron
Maroon-Thomas-Soshnikov
Barbashev, Jaskin

Maroon still gets a solid playmaker. Thomas gets his feet wet before inevitable injuries force him and Maroon into the top 9. Soshnikov gets two solid players on his line and should put up some much needed points to boost his confidence. Our team has no excuse not to be very good at this point. I think we have better forward depth than Nashville and Winnipeg, but WPG has some better top end players.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
maroon gives this team a hell of a lot of heart and fight. you wont see him be a healthy scratch for being lazy like you did with the 2 jokers we sent packing

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
maroon gives this team a hell of a lot of heart and fight. you wont see him be a healthy scratch for being lazy like you did with the 2 jokers we sent packing
Have you heard of guy named Niko Mikkola? He'll destroy people and can fight too. He's Jackman level nasty and has better agility and speed then Parayko. Watch out! His gamestyle fits perfectly smaller rink compare European rink. Imagine how many times Parayko had time for hit, but he just poke little bit, Mikkola is guy who will hit everything and really have dangerous speed with him too.

I even can't wait how he will transit to NA rink, but its going to fun to read Blues members write things about him at Blues camp.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Have you heard of guy named Niko Mikkola? He'll destroy people and can fight too. He's Jackman level nasty and has better agility and speed then Parayko. Watch out! His gamestyle fits perfectly smaller rink compare European rink. Imagine how many times Parayko had time for hit, but he just poke little bit, Mikkola is guy who will hit everything and really have dangerous speed with him too.

I even can't wait how he will transit to NA rink, but its going to fun to read Blues members write things about him at Blues camp.

Next Ossi Vaananen?

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
9 top 9 forward spots

Schwartz
Tarasenko
Schenn
ROR
Steen
Perron