Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Looking at our cap situation, it's possible that the Blues won't need to trade anyone to fit Maroon.

Assume Nolan and Sundqvist are sent to the AHL (while Sundqvist is on a 1 way contract, his cap hit would not count against the cap, as the first 900k (or 950k, can't remember which) does not count against the cap while in the minors), the cap hit would be $72.96 mil with Maroon, Schmaltz, and Edmundson to be signed. This would include 13 forwards and 8 defensemen.

Since the cap is $79.5 mil, that leaves approximately $6.5 mil left for Maroon, Edmundson, and Schmaltz. Schmaltz should receive around $1.0 - $1.5 mil (assume $1.1 for now), Maroon is reportedly around $2 mil (so we'll assume $2.0 for now), and Edmundson can vary greatly depending on if he receives a long-term or bridge deal. If we assume a bridge deal, his number might be $2.5 - $3 mil. Assume $3.0 million. This leaves $400k left in cap space after these signings. It can be done just by sending Sundqvist to the minors (I doubt he wouldn't pass through waivers, but who knows)...or, send Thorburn to the minors. Either/or works.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Looking at our cap situation, it's possible that the Blues won't need to trade anyone to fit Maroon.

Assume Nolan and Sundqvist are sent to the AHL (while Sundqvist is on a 1 way contract, his cap hit would not count against the cap, as the first 900k (or 950k, can't remember which) does not count against the cap while in the minors), the cap hit would be $72.96 mil with Maroon, Schmaltz, and Edmundson to be signed. This would include 13 forwards and 8 defensemen.

Since the cap is $79.5 mil, that leaves approximately $6.5 mil left for Maroon, Edmundson, and Schmaltz. Schmaltz should receive around $1.0 - $1.5 mil (assume $1.1 for now), Maroon is reportedly around $2 mil (so we'll assume $2.0 for now), and Edmundson can vary greatly depending on if he receives a long-term or bridge deal. If we assume a bridge deal, his number might be $2.5 - $3 mil. Assume $3.0 million. This leaves $400k left in cap space after these signings. It can be done just by sending Sundqvist to the minors (I doubt he wouldn't pass through waivers, but who knows)...or, send Thorburn to the minors. Either/or works.

I agree. Army is trying to fit everyone, and I suspect he'll find a way. Guys like Thorburn & Sundqvist will almost assuredly be reassigned to San Antonio. One of the vet LHD may start the season on IR. One of our remaining depth pieces may be sold for a draft pick...but I think what you see (+Maroon) is what you get.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I still doesn't understand why so many are giving edge to Jbo over Gunnar? Why Jbo would be better 3rd pair guy compare to Gunnar? We don't know what kind of condition they come back from injuries.

I would rather re-evaluate Jbo and Gunnar before making any choices who is expendable/tradable.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
what i really like about our roster construction is the notable absence of the most worthless player in all of hockey: the $3M/year vet. Now that Berglund & Sobotka are gone, the worst contracts on the books are probably all of the ones set to expire at the end of this coming season. If we can save the money for the 'stars' and surround the talent with inexpensive youth, the Blues will be set for a long time. Move the vets or let them walk when they age out , and pay the next group of stars and repeat with new youth. Give me 11 ~$6M/yr players and 12 $1M/year players any day over a bunch of vets who aren't worth paying the big bucks.

justmuckit

Feb 25, 2018
Heard last night that they were getting Maroon for 1x$2m, now hearing it could be as low as $1.6m.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Im prolly in the minority but i would like a 2 year deal. Lock him up until the big core pieces start needing new contracts. Especially if we can do it for 2x2.

Reactions: TruBlu

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Im prolly in the minority but i would like a 2 year deal. Lock him up until the big core pieces start needing new contracts. Especially if we can do it for 2x2.
He wants to be here, or he wouldn't take a huge pay cut like what is being projected. I'd say there is a gentleman's agreement about a resigning after the one year deal. None of us will ever know until it happens.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Schmaltz is looking at ~$700k.

We should not be giving Edmundson a 1 year deal in an attempt to facilitate a deal with Maroon. He has had his bridge deal.

Thomas is also going to be on the roster opening night, because as soon as we send him down then that is it for the year. It would be a big surprise if he didn't get a look.

That said, the only immediate concern with the cap is making sure that we can be cap compliant on opening night without needing to pay someone to take a contract. That's it.

If Maroon is willing to sign for $1.7m then that means we have around ~$4.3m in space to sign Edmundson and have a full 23 man roster.

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Schmaltz is looking at ~$700k.

We should not be giving Edmundson a 1 year deal in an attempt to facilitate a deal with Maroon. He has had his bridge deal.
I'd rather sign Edmundson long term than give him a bridge deal so that we can bring in Maroon. Edmundson is the future, Maroon really doesn't have a position here.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
He wants to be here, or he wouldn't take a huge pay cut like what is being projected. I'd say there is a gentleman's agreement about a resigning after the one year deal. None of us will ever know until it happens.

From what I have seen posted on Twitter, yes its a 1yr deal with an agreement to discuss a extension early next year. I think DA is looking to make some moves before the Deadline and that might open the funding up for a 2 yr extension IMO Maroon wants to finish his career in the Lou...

justmuckit

Feb 25, 2018

I believe he's taking less money and term due to the back surgery, personally.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
I looked at PP P/60 for Bozak, Perron, ROR, and Maroon. All of them are higher than Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Steen. Seems like something Army is targeting.

Reactions: CaliBlues710

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

So maybe Army isn't a bad GM after all? The complaints here get pretty annoying at times, as if he has passed up easy chances to improve the team. Last year, experts had him ranked in the top 3rd of NHL GMs (I will re-post the link if I must, but I looked it up before), and his stock is probably higher now. Hopefully people will lay off Army a bit after this offseason's moves, because the whole "fans who think they know more than NHL GMs" thing is pretty played out.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So maybe Army isn't a bad GM after all? The complaints here get pretty annoying at times, as if he has passed up easy chances to improve the team. Last year, experts had him ranked in the top 3rd of NHL GMs (I will re-post the link if I must, but I looked it up before), and his stock is probably higher now. Hopefully people will lay off Army a bit after this offseason's moves, because the whole "fans who think they know more than NHL GMs" thing is pretty played out.
His only issue is jumping the gun on extensions. He signed Lehtera and Allen to early thinking they would improve. He's usually more cautious, which is weird. He kind of jumped the gun on Sobotka without knowing what he'd look like on his return. Those were bad deals. Berglund's was bad due to term, so we'll have to see how he plays when he's older, but we don't have to worry about that anymore.

I wouldn't say he's a top 3, but he's a top 10 GM IMO.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

A couple things: 1) This is a discussion forum. If you don't like fans discussing or even complaining about a team's moves, this place isn't for you. No GM is perfect. They make mistakes, and fans call them on it. Sometimes they don't make mistakes and fans call them on it. That's just the nature of the beast. More often its not because fans think they "know more than the GM", it's fans having a different vision for the team. Sometimes that vision is better, sometimes its not. There are some fans that would make a better GM than the actual GM though, and sometimes the fan is just right on one particular move. Just because someone has a job doing something, doesn't mean they are perfect at it, or even good at it.

Also, an outsider's perspective can be more valuable than an insider. As an example, I am terrible at proof-reading what I write. I read what I meant to type, not what's actually there. With a GM they may see the move they meant to make, not the move that actually happened. As an example, Armstrong expects Lehtera to help elevate Tarasenko's game, and this is confirmed in his mind when Tarasenko did elevate his game. He expected to see it, so he saw it. He gave Lehtera a big raise. Some people questioned the GM saying it was too soon to sign him, for too much money. Turns out, Tarasenko elevated his own game and Lehtera was just brought along for the ride. The contract ended up being bad, and those that called out Armstrong did, in fact, no more than the GM on that particular deal.

2) Armstrong was never a bad GM, he was just struggling to get the team over the hump to a true contender. Thus many felt it was time to go. However, Armstrong has gotten better at the whole GMing thing. He made some notable mistakes in Dallas and left them in a bad spot for years. In chasing their cup, which they did get, he traded too many futures for vets. It worked there and they got the cup but they struggled for years trying to get back to relevancy (and may still be struggling). Fans in STL were justifiably afraid. What if he leaves us like Dallas, only we never do win the cup? Well, he has changed, and has evolved his methods. He recognizes the importance of futures and stocked our cupboard. Were he to quit tomorrow, our future would still be relatively bright. He realized he can't solve the team's problems in one move, and started focusing multiple moves ahead. Its like the difference between a checkers player and a good chess player. He trades our first for Schenn knowing he can trade Reaves and a 2nd to get it back and still grab the player he wants. He signs "meh" middle 6 players because they will be an upgrade when he moves worse 3rd line players for a legit top 6 upgrade. Those "meh" players become exciting replacements for the players we shipped out. That is thinking moves ahead and it has really worked well the past 2 off-seasons. But it is a drastic change from what he has done before. It's something fans here have been calling for him to do for awhile. So once again, fans did know more.

3) Amstrong still holds on to his old biases. They just aren't as costly He still wants big, gritty, veteran locker-room guys. Its why we have Thorburn and why we are in on Maroon. He can't seem to leave it behind although he is clearly trying to with most his moves.

BluesBrother

Sep 22, 2009
Finland
I live in Finland, and all I have is your knowledge about Thomas being ready to NHL.. is he really? Ready to play 82 games in central division, in a top 9 role? Just curious, I respect all the info I get from you guys. I watch lot of blues games, but this inside info is what I’m really missing.. and I love getting from you guys!! And I’m so pumped about next season, army has been on on fire!!!

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
An outside perspective is always good. Fans rightfully should give him trouble for Lehtera. However even when he gives a bad contract it’s not unmoveable look at Berglund and Sobotka. If Jake Allen doesn’t bounce back this year he will be gone as well.

Armstrong brought in Hitch to get us over the non competitive to yearly playoff team hump. I don’t think he gets enough credit for that look at all the teams that can’t do it Edmonton, Colorado, Vancouver, Phoniex. Always a risk in a rebuild to get that culture of losing.

The core we drated out of the rebuild couldn’t get it done in the playoffs and now he is transitioning us to a new core. I’d say the retool is complete once he inks Schenn and Pie to new deals next year.

This is the second time he has used FA to stack center depth and second time in back to back years he has traded for a center. I’ll take any tendency he has for veterans and grinders if he keeps on doing what he is doing.

I would have Armstrong in my top 1/3 rd of GMs. Would love to see others ranking to see who others fan prefer. I just remember a few years ago Stan Bowman couldn’t do anything wrong but now a lot of his moves caught up to him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad