Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

justmuckit

Feb 25, 2018
Realistically, they have to move out some salary to accommodate Maroon.

Wouldn't be shocked if they were tying to move Steen.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Realistically, they have to move out some salary to accommodate Maroon.

Wouldn't be shocked if they were tying to move Steen.
i highly doubt it. also steen has a NTC.
depending on the contract terms, i think thorburn will be moved and i also think jaskin could be moved.

if the term and pay is higher than i think its going to be, gunnarson will be moved. i hope this isnt the case.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I would move Gunner. Nice guy, but his skills could be used elsewhere. Would also free up space for a younger Dman.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If we sign Maroon, then it's up to Fabbri to prove he is still a top-9 player. If Fabbri proves that? When everyone is healthy then we can roll 4 lines. It isn't a problem.

We are getting way too hung up on labeling lines. Assuming his game hasn't fallen off a cliff, Fabbri isn't going to start on the "fourth line". I'd expect him to be starting with top-6 linemates, and if we're wanting to ease him in then we'll give him shifts off and move someone else up.

If there is anything that being a Blues fan should have taught us it is that Armstrong loves depth, our lines never stop being shuffled and we'll have plenty of injuries.

Whether or not Maroon is a decent signing will depend entirely on the contract that he gets and whether it has a knock-on impact. We currently have ~$5.5m-~$5.7m to sign Edmundson and Maroon. Move out Gunnarsson and that jumps to ~$7.5m-~$7.7m. The space is there to sign him.

I would move Gunner. Nice guy, but his skills could be used elsewhere. Would also free up space for a younger Dman.
A defenseman needs to be moved at some point. If Maroon was willing to sign for $2m then we could work it so that we don't have to make a move until camp, but Schmaltz losing his waiver exemption means that it is a matter of time before we lose someone.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I feel like an Armstrong apologist, but I love his aggression this off-season, and assuming the game plan is to run 4 scoring lines instead of no pure checking line, I love this move, depending on the contract.

Fabbri-O'Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Steen-Thomas-Maroon
Barbashev-Bozak-Soshnikov

There are certainly adjustments that could be made, maybe push Barbie or Sosh up a line, or maybe Kyrou demends a spot earlier then we expect, but this is the definition of "Good Problem to Have" as long as we don't do something stupid like send Thomas to Junior.

justmuckit

Feb 25, 2018
Who is trading for a soon to be 32 year old defenseman coming off an ACL surgery with a 6 month recovery timetable (OCT/NOV) in July?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Strickland seems to be inferring the deal is not done yet.

Attachments

• 42754553-205A-4E8F-A24D-D3867C1502B1.png
    42754553-205A-4E8F-A24D-D3867C1502B1.png
    367.7 KB · Views: 14

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Who is trading for a soon to be 32 year old defenseman coming off an ACL surgery with a 6 month recovery timetable (OCT/NOV) in July?

The Blues traded for Gunny in June knowing that his hip surgery would would keep him out until after the start of the season. It can be done.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Edmundson has a long future on this team. I wouldn't be surprised to see him locked up for 5 years. I don't see DA shifting him to sign a guy on a 1 year contract.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
If this signing goes through, DA is going all in this season - and that’s impressive given that the Blues haven’t mortgaged the future to go all in. DA has really set up the team great for the foreseeable future - the Blues could conceivably be “all in” for the next few seasons without any additional trades.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
If this signing goes through, DA is going all in this season - and that’s impressive given that the Blues haven’t mortgaged the future to go all in. DA has really set up the team great for the foreseeable future - the Blues could conceivably be “all in” for the next few seasons without any additional trades.
won't d.a. have to make an additional trade just to make signing work? i find it unlikely maroon will sign at an aav that fits under our cap without additional moves

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
won't d.a. have to make an additional trade just to make signing work? i find it unlikely maroon will sign at an aav that fits under our cap without additional moves

I think the best part about this is that Maroon might actually take a low contract to play for the Blues.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I think the best part about this is that Maroon might actually take a low contract to play for the Blues.
reduced salary and likely reduced role? heck of a hometown discount for us if true

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010

Maybe, but if so, I suspect it will be a low level trade like shipping out a Thorburn or Sundqvist.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Maybe, but if so, I suspect it will be a low level trade like shipping out a Thorburn or Sundqvist.
I doubt there is any trade market for those guys most likely waiver fodder. If they are taken...whatever. if not, enjoy texas

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Dealing guys like that doesn't really open any cap space as whomever replaces them on roster makes at least as much.

? It opens up the same amount as their cap hit. If Maroon is signed for 2 mil and the Blues only have 1.5 mil in cap space left (hypothetically) prior to the signing, and Thorburn is traded (900k cap hit), and Maroon takes his spot on the roster, then the Blues have 400k in cap space left after signing Maroon. I see what you’re saying, in that it won’t create much cap space, but it does make a difference.

Ah, I think I see what you’re getting at. In my scenario, Maroon IS the replacement for any guy we end up trading, so there would be a benefit. And any return for the player traded (Thorburn, etc) would be for a non-roster player/pick.

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I doubt there is any trade market for those guys most likely waiver fodder. If they are taken...whatever. if not, enjoy texas

Agreed, I doubt it as well. My understanding is that any player on a 1 way contract who is sent to the minors (and clears waivers) doesn’t have their cap hit count against the Blues, up to 900k (or 950k)? In that case, either Sundqvist or Thorburn could be sent down, and their entire contact (both are 900k or less), wouldn’t count against the Blues’ cap. That’s another option for the Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad