Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Are there even other stats to use when evaluating d-men?

(in case it's necessary...:sarcasm: )
Obviously points, because apparently Gardiner with term wouldn't be offered for Parayko. :laugh:

Edit: Oh, and hits can also be thrown in for good measure :help:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
“Parayko would be the perfect missing piece for our team! Here’s a bunch of stuff that doesn’t help the Blues or hurt our team at all.”

“Parayko isn’t available for anything short of a massive overpayment.”

“Well fine! He sucks anyways! He’s sheltered and a bum! We’ll be fine with our inferior defenseman!”

-Every Parayko thread, forever, as long as we will all live.
I mean, our fans do this type of stuff too.

Like in the past there would be threads about a top 6 center to the Blues. We'd offer the usual suspects, then when a team would ask for a Thomas or Kyrou or something valuable it'd be met with responses like "LOL no. This center is only a 2nd or 3rd liner anyways, we need more of a top line guy".

No fanbase is innocent. It's the nature of trades. Whatever.

Parayko DOES absolutely get overrated by some of our fans though.

Reactions: KirkOut

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Like in the past there would be threads about a top 6 center to the Blues. We'd offer the usual suspects, then when a team would ask for a Thomas or Kyrou or something valuable it'd be met with responses like "LOL no. This center is only a 2nd or 3rd liner anyways, we need more of a top line guy".

This is very true.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

I’m not saying any fan base is more or less innocent than another. I’m just saying Parayko threads in particular have an M.O. and it’s never productive. Everyone wants him but he’s simultaneously a borderline #4 defenseman who’s not that good. He’s certainly not the the only example of that on this site in fairness.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I feel like I’m in the minority but I really liked our old 3rds. That was until them sexy ass WC jerseys came out. My vote is for that for sure.

The previous 3rds with the Navy and Gateway Arch were beautiful...unfortunately they were a product of previous ownership and the Blues may need to be bought and sold a few more times if those things are ever going to resurface as a throw-back. Hopefully Stillman owns this team for a long time and keeps the uniform classy and crisp. No atrocities like those of the mid-90's on his watch, please.

Replace the mains with the WC/vintage look.
I'd love this, though I'd settle for WC-style as a permanent 3rd.
Get a white version of the WC and call it a day.
I'm not a huge white-jersey guy...all of mine are the darks...but that would be a beauty.
I just want the trumpet shoulder patches back.
Similar to how Stillman retired the Arch-themed thirds, what if this is something that he wants to make unique to his ownership? Instead of a trumpet, what if he put a sax or clarinet on the shoulder instead? How weird would that look? :laugh:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Similar to how Stillman retired the Arch-themed thirds, what if this is something that he wants to make unique to his ownership? Instead of a trumpet, what if he put a sax or clarinet on the shoulder instead? How weird would that look? :laugh:

I just had the best/worst idea for a 3rd jersey. Make the music note portion of the logo out of a saxophone and then make the 'wings' of the note out of music notes that are coming out of the saxophone. One shoulder patch is a trumpet, the other shoulder patch is a clarinet.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I just had the best/worst idea for a 3rd jersey. Make the music note portion of the logo out of a saxophone and then make the 'wings' of the note out of music notes that are coming out of the saxophone. One shoulder patch is a trumpet, the other shoulder patch is a clarinet.
Everything is highlighted with red diagnals, the shoulder piping is brought back, and the numbers on the back are heavily outlined in white.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Strickland said he’s heard Fabbri is looking strong and feeling great. Please be true. Imagine if he comes back to his normal self?

Reactions: shpongle falls

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Everything is highlighted with red diagnals, the shoulder piping is brought back, and the numbers on the back are heavily outlined in white.

I'd prefer a kazoo and a recorder:
s-l300.jpg

Reactions: HighNote

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I'd prefer a kazoo and a recorder:
s-l300.jpg
I was an elementary music teacher for 3 years. Luckily? the south side of Chicago was too poor to get recorders for the kids, and I dodged that (figurative) bullet (I’ve got some good stories). Can you have PTSD from something that never happened?

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I was an elementary music teacher for 3 years. Luckily? the south side of Chicago was too poor to get recorders for the kids, and I dodged that (figurative) bullet (I’ve got some good stories). Can you have PTSD from something that never happened?

I'm sure you could. If any musical instrument could be considered 'weaponized', it is the recorder!

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Strickland said he’s heard Fabbri is looking strong and feeling great. Please be true. Imagine if he comes back to his normal self?
Good to hear! I think he ultimately will come back and be an effective player but he's gonna be gonna be rusty as hell and it will take him awhile to get his timing back and all that stuff.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I don't hold my breath. Kid hasn't played in 2-years. 2-YEARS. He will have growing pains and most likely slow start of season. Hard to predict can he come back at any way near what he even was. Hope so and hopely he'll find his game at least end of regular season.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I don't hold my breath. Kid hasn't played in 2-years. 2-YEARS. He will have growing pains and most likely slow start of season. Hard to predict can he come back at any way near what he even was. Hope so and hopely he'll find his game at least end of regular season.

The good thing is that there is little to no expectation for him this year...really the goal for this year is to play at an NHL level and don’t get re-injured, and then the following year we should have more expectation of him returning to a 40+ point player.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As long as he can play, I'm happy.

If he stays healthy, he'll get back to form, it'll just take time

Reactions: Brockon

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Fabbri was a top 6 player and drove offense on his line. We're all curious to see where he's at this fall after such a long time away but he's potentially a huge boost to our top 6 and has reportedly been training since January. That's a nice stretch of months consecutive where we haven't heard anything to indicate a set back in his rehab. He's a huge x factor for us so hopefully we get him back as a regular top 6 forward.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
As long as he can play, I'm happy.

If he stays healthy, he'll get back to form, it'll just take time

This is anything but a given. If he stays healthy by not digging in the corners anymore for example, that makes him not an NHL quality player. There's a lot of things that go into having an NHL career, and losing 2 years of development can really complicate your ability to compete on multiple levels

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This is anything but a given. If he stays healthy by not digging in the corners anymore for example, that makes him not an NHL quality player. There's a lot of things that go into having an NHL career, and losing 2 years of development can really complicate your ability to compete on multiple levels
This is just a big of "sigh".

Why would he be shy about diggin into corners? He didnt get boarded at 20mph. We can play the what if game all day long but I'm confident that if his knee is stable, he'll be a top 6 guy. Yes, it'll take time give his development is delayed but it's not a neurological injury he's recovering from.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
This is just a big of "sigh".

Why would he be shy about diggin into corners? He didnt get boarded at 20mph. We can play the what if game all day long but I'm confident that if his knee is stable, he'll be a top 6 guy. Yes, it'll take time give his development is delayed but it's not a neurological injury he's recovering from.

He's gotten injured multiple times from hits like that in preseason. They didn't tear his acl, but it's not farfetched to think missing more than a full year with an injury may make him more cautious on the ice. the thing about physical injuries is they often take a mental toll.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He's gotten injured multiple times from hits like that in preseason. They didn't tear his acl, but it's not farfetched to think missing more than a full year with an injury may make him more cautious on the ice. the thing about physical injuries is they often take a mental toll.
What hits are those? I remember him being boarded by Minnesota. Didnt seem to stop him from being himself. No one can guarentee that hell return to form, and I understand some preaching caution but this is more like pointless speculation of his mindset when he returns

Last edited:
Reactions: Klank Loves You

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
No question that he'll play cautious at first, from subconscious instincts. But, if no problems occur, he'll eventually (after 15-20 games) forget that, and go into his natural unhindered playing based on how playing felt during most of his hockey "career" (age 12-22). So, I have hopes that he'll be back up to "normal" speed, timing, skill level, etc. by game 60-65-70. That is about normal for most good players. Usually, it takes almost a full season back from a serious injury, to get back to top form. With luck, that will be just in time for The Blues' playoff seeding run, and his high-level play will carry on throughout the playoffs.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Color me still shocked at the current Blues roster. My best case scenario was Army moving Berglund and Sobotka, and bringing in a impactful center. I was prepared to see a higher prospect than Thompson be moved. I still can’t believe all the pieces the Blues have and the minimal cost it took.

Sobotka Stastny Tarasenko
Schwartz Schenn Jaskin
Paajarvi Sundqvist Thompson
Upshall Brodziak Thorburn

If you add Berglund to that opening day roster it’s still Fugly.

Regardless how the team finishes, Army aced the offseason.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Going from this

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Stastny-Thompson
Berglund-Brodziak-Steen
Upshall/Soshnikov-Barbashev-Jaskin
Thorburn

to potentially this

Maroon-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Perron
Fabbri-Bozak-Steen
Barbashev-Thomas-Jaskin
Soshnikov, Sundqvist/Nolan

Yeah, that’s a huge upgrade, and that doesn’t even include a potentially ready Jordan Kyrou. Anyone who thinks we aren’t one of the top 3 in this division is a fool.

Reactions: Mike Liut
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad