Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
I’ve been thinking that the Blues have had quite a bit of roster turnover/changes in the past few months. I wouldn’t be surprised, if the season didn’t start with a bang. The team might need some time to gel together. Especially if the kids are ready to play.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I’ve been thinking that the Blues have had quite a bit of roster turnover/changes in the past few months. I wouldn’t be surprised, if the season didn’t start with a bang. The team might need some time to gel together. Especially if the kids are ready to play.

Also Tarasenko is coming off a shoulder surgery. That’ll probably take some time to come back from

Reactions: Houli

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
He’ll have had over 5 months recovery by the time camp starts, and from what I remember, it could’ve been way worse. He’ll be fine IMO.
This is one of the reasons missing the playoffs was a blessing in disguise. Guys can get healthy for once.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Also Tarasenko is coming off a shoulder surgery. That’ll probably take some time to come back from

I wouldn't be worried about his shoulder/ability to fire the puck nearly as much as I would his overall conditioning. He's almost assuredly bulked while rehabbing it, and has had some overall question marks surrounding his anaerobic conditioning.

Little doubt the explosiveness and his "burstiness" will be there, I just worry that for someone that has to work a bit harder to get lean, the surgery kept him from doing that conditioning for valuable weeks.

Strange to be saying, but I'm also looking forward to seeing if he didn't get better acclimated to his lasik surgery. It was a strange thing for him to call out at the end of the year, but for someone with such a recursive shot -- feels like it actually could have been a factor.

Regardless, I very strongly believe that playing with a C who works to the middle of the ice vs. below the goal line/is a threat to score is going to greatly overshadow whatever he's dealing with physically. He's never been a player that greatly thrived off a goal-line cycle or "overload" type forecheck, which most of his previous teammates have preferred. Anxious to see if he and O'Reilly might play more of a net front cycle or have some rotations that allow Vladdy to touch the puck in softer areas. We've got two blueline pairs that can run something a bit more complex -- anxious to see if it happens.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Can someone link me to Tarasenko's comment about his lasik?

Im still convinced that his shoulder surgery was minor, more preventative than repair. If it didnt happen on the last night of the season, he would have been able to play the following game.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Can someone link me to Tarasenko's comment about his lasik?

Im still convinced that his shoulder surgery was minor, more preventative than repair. If it didnt happen on the last night of the season, he would have been able to play the following game.

I'll try to find it -- I know it was in "The Athletic", and I actually think it might have been in the infamous JR Q&A, where he called out the lockerroom/leader issues. The problem with the Athletic is that searching for past Q&As or open discussions is kind of strange.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I would be surprised if he bulked up....I'd wager he's spent alot of time on the bike and cardio. It's been a big criticism of him

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I wouldn't be worried about his shoulder/ability to fire the puck nearly as much as I would his overall conditioning. He's almost assuredly bulked while rehabbing it, and has had some overall question marks surrounding his anaerobic conditioning.

Little doubt the explosiveness and his "burstiness" will be there, I just worry that for someone that has to work a bit harder to get lean, the surgery kept him from doing that conditioning for valuable weeks.

Strange to be saying, but I'm also looking forward to seeing if he didn't get better acclimated to his lasik surgery. It was a strange thing for him to call out at the end of the year, but for someone with such a recursive shot -- feels like it actually could have been a factor.

Regardless, I very strongly believe that playing with a C who works to the middle of the ice vs. below the goal line/is a threat to score is going to greatly overshadow whatever he's dealing with physically. He's never been a player that greatly thrived off a goal-line cycle or "overload" type forecheck, which most of his previous teammates have preferred. Anxious to see if he and O'Reilly might play more of a net front cycle or have some rotations that allow Vladdy to touch the puck in softer areas. We've got two blueline pairs that can run something a bit more complex -- anxious to see if it happens.

I think the opposite is more likely - his shoulder shouldn’t have any bearing on his ability to get lean and do aerobic conditioning, but it would be more difficult to bulk up (upper body, at least). I’m expecting him to be in better aerobic shape than last year and to have trimmed down some.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I would be surprised if he bulked up....I'd wager he's spent alot of time on the bike and cardio. It's been a big criticism of him

True. Also, I doubt he’s bulking up after a shoulder injury because it would inhibit him from lifting heavy which is needed to bulk up.

Reactions: Dbrownss

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I also would be interested in reading Tarasenko’s LASIK comments. I read pretty much everything from JR but I don’t recall that.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
True. Also, I doubt he’s bulking up after a shoulder injury because it would inhibit him from lifting heavy which is needed to bulk up.

I'm speaking mainly through a 3rd party here, and not trying to be a d*** (promise), but, I've been told the SM protocol for an athlete on a torn labrum would be to move as quickly to assisted resistance as possible to regain active range of motion. From there, especially for a hockey player, would be to fairly aggressively move to unassisted resistance training. If he hadn't been lifting relatively hard prior to stepping on the ice his rotator cuff and scapular rotators are at a greater risk of an impact setting him back.

When I said "bulking" earlier, I meant I suspect his goal thus far has been to be as close as possible to camp strength. Volume training vs. training to failure where his range of motion would be impacted.

Just passing along. Can't claim the info as my own (not an expert) :)

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
I also would be interested in reading Tarasenko’s LASIK comments. I read pretty much everything from JR but I don’t recall that.

You don't remember reading it because I told everyone wrong :)...it was actually in his year-end exit interview with the media (around 4:00)

Last edited:
Reactions: EastonBlues22

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I'm speaking mainly through a 3rd party here, and not trying to be a d*** (promise), but, I've been told the SM protocol for an athlete on a torn labrum would be to move as quickly to assisted resistance as possible to regain active range of motion. From there, especially for a hockey player, would be to fairly aggressively move to unassisted resistance training. If he hadn't been lifting relatively hard prior to stepping on the ice his rotator cuff and scapular rotators are at a greater risk of an impact setting him back.

When I said "bulking" earlier, I meant I suspect his goal thus far has been to be as close as possible to camp strength. Volume training vs. training to failure where his range of motion would be impacted.

Just passing along. Can't claim the info as my own (not an expert) :)

Makes a lot of sense. I know when I had labrum/bicep/rotator cuff issues as a pitcher I was told to do less weight and steer clear of adding extended burst stress (pushing yourself to gain strength as opposed to strengthening what you already have).

I understand that pitching as opposed to a hockey player having a shoulder issue is completely different as rotator cuff issues for overhead throwers is a lot of time based off of repetition wear as opposed to a sudden jolt tear/injury that a contact sport would give you. Regardless, in season training for most sports is predicated on lifting lower weights to keep your muscles in tone more or less as opposed to maxing our to increase your max output. The issue on a newly repaired shoulder and trying to bulk/increase your strength threshold is that even though you are not receiving the jolt from a contact injury essentially the same thing can occur when you over exert yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad