Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I wonder who else is in town? I see Parayko and Pietrangelo but not sure who the other guys are.

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
I wonder who else is in town? I see Parayko and Pietrangelo but not sure who the other guys are.

Someone on Reddit was saying Bozak was one of the ones on the ice with him when the video was taken. I would be curious to know who all is back, as well.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Someone on Reddit was saying Bozak was one of the ones on the ice with him when the video was taken. I would be curious to know who all is back, as well.
Not suprising. He said he'd be in Stl pretty early

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Only about 6.5 weeks until the regular season, 5 until preseason, and 3.5 until Traverse City. It's August, a time when we usually expect brutal heat and humidity, but have been graced with rain and moderate heat. The only expected draught in STL this August is hockey season, which is soon to end. There are only so many seasons of NHL18 one can play to suppress the desire for Blues hockey. The extended off-season has only made things harder, but Army has done a nice job of making things exciting. It feels like a new era of Blues hockey is upon us, and the anticipation is mounting. LGB!

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Only about 6.5 weeks until the regular season, 5 until preseason, and 3.5 until Traverse City. It's August, a time when we usually expect brutal heat and humidity, but have been graced with rain and moderate heat. The only expected draught in STL this August is hockey season, which is soon to end. There are only so many seasons of NHL18 one can play to suppress the desire for Blues hockey. The extended off-season has only made things harder, but Army has done a nice job of making things exciting. It feels like a new era of Blues hockey is upon us, and the anticipation is mounting. LGB!
August is often the toughest month. Thankfully for a golf fan the PGA/Fed Ex Cup/Ryder Cup typically falls in August so I can pass the time.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

The heat has been in here. In lapland there has been over 57 'heat days' (+25C) which is record in here. Hasn't been this warm in over 100-years. Its crazy we had - 38 C at winter and summer over +30 C. I know its normal you guys having this warm, but to guy who thinks +18C its best weather in summer its sickening having this warm. Thank God its cooler now, normal summer weather +15C.

Sorry OT.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The heat has been in here. In lapland there has been over 57 'heat days' (+25C) which is record in here. Hasn't been this warm in over 100-years. Its crazy we had - 38 C at winter and summer over +30 C. I know its normal you guys having this warm, but to guy who thinks +18C its best weather in summer its sickening having this warm. Thank God its cooler now, normal summer weather +15C.

Sorry OT.
Yeah, never come here in the summer, you'll hate these things called humidity and heat index, where the temperature says one number, but mother nature is like **** that, it's actually this much hotter.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Interesting technical goalie article about the “lateral release” vs the slide. Apparently the lateral release is a newer technique that is helping a lot of goalies and apparently Allen is one of the best at it.

Interesting article to say the least. I had heard of RVH and obviously the slide but I’m not as familiar with the goalie position from a technical standpoint as F or D. Hopefully others will find it interesting as I did.

The next big save: How the 'lateral release' can give...

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I hope Allen would stop his sliding out of position in every another second.

'Lateral release' can Kiss My Arse.

@STL fan in IA , Look who writed that article. Its softie's new pseudonym.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Interesting technical goalie article about the “lateral release” vs the slide. Apparently the lateral release is a newer technique that is helping a lot of goalies and apparently Allen is one of the best at it.

Interesting article to say the least. I had heard of RVH and obviously the slide but I’m not as familiar with the goalie position from a technical standpoint as F or D. Hopefully others will find it interesting as I did.

The next big save: How the 'lateral release' can give...

As a goalie, I thought that breakdown was pretty much complete garbage. It's nothing new or revolutionary. It is shuffling over from point A to point B and waiting to go down until the shot is released instead of developing an over-reliance on the butterfly slide. It isn't a new technique. It is simply reining in the modern tendency to slide from point A to point B any time there is the slightest chance of a one-timer.

The example he used for Allen's decision to "lateral release" instead of butterfly sliding is terrible. Very few NHL goalies would have been on their knees due to a pass in the high slot to a shooter who isn't even remotely wide enough to prevent a goalie from getting there standing.

The point that goalies are over-utilizing the butterfly slide is accurate. However, goalie coaches have been telling goalies not to drop early for as long as the position of goalie coach existed. Rask's biggest mistake in the example he used wasn't that he made the decision to butterfly slide, it's that he executed the slide horrifically. He pushed way too hard, took a brutal angle and the combination of those two things caused him to slide about a foot past where he needed to go. Moreover, he didn't recognize that the puck was on the shooter's backhand in time, which meant that he started his recovery too late. All of that would have been prevented by staying on his skates and shuffling over, but he also would have been in decent position to push back over for a pass if he had executed a controlled butterfly slide.

With all that said, when he is playing well, Allen is among the NHL's best in staying on his skates instead of oversliding. When he starts falling apart, he is among the NHL's worst at it. It's obvious that his natural instinct is to make the athletic play with a hard push to slide over quickly. However, that isn't always the right play and his biggest issue (IMO) is that he falls back on those instincts too much when things start to spiral. When he is in the zone, he is very good at out-waiting the offense.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
As a goalie, I thought that breakdown was pretty much complete garbage. It's nothing new or revolutionary. It is shuffling over from point A to point B and waiting to go down until the shot is released instead of developing an over-reliance on the butterfly slide. It isn't a new technique. It is simply reining in the modern tendency to slide from point A to point B any time there is the slightest chance of a one-timer.

The example he used for Allen's decision to "lateral release" instead of butterfly sliding is terrible. Very few NHL goalies would have been on their knees due to a pass in the high slot to a shooter who isn't even remotely wide enough to prevent a goalie from getting there standing.

The point that goalies are over-utilizing the butterfly slide is accurate. However, goalie coaches have been telling goalies not to drop early for as long as the position of goalie coach existed. Rask's biggest mistake in the example he used wasn't that he made the decision to butterfly slide, it's that he executed the slide horrifically. He pushed way too hard, took a brutal angle and the combination of those two things caused him to slide about a foot past where he needed to go. Moreover, he didn't recognize that the puck was on the shooter's backhand in time, which meant that he started his recovery too late. All of that would have been prevented by staying on his skates and shuffling over, but he also would have been in decent position to push back over for a pass if he had executed a controlled butterfly slide.

With all that said, when he is playing well, Allen is among the NHL's best in staying on his skates instead of oversliding. When he starts falling apart, he is among the NHL's worst at it.

Interesting. Good to know.

Reactions: STLomacneko

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI

With all that said, when he is playing well, Allen is among the NHL's best in staying on his skates instead of oversliding. When he starts falling apart, he is among the NHL's worst at it. It's obvious that his natural instinct is to make the athletic play with a hard push to slide over quickly. However, that isn't always the right play and his biggest issue (IMO) is that he falls back on those instincts too much when things start to spiral. When he is in the zone, he is very good at out-waiting the offense.
Never played and I don’t consider myself remotely knowledgeable about goaltending but I have to agree with you. When I was reading this I felt the examples weren’t remotely similar and couldn’t understand why any goalie would be sliding with how far out Turris and Fiala were. With your explanation it is even clearer. Thanks.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Yeah, never come here in the summer, you'll hate these things called humidity and heat index, where the temperature says one number, but mother nature is like **** that, it's actually this much hotter.

Having spent winters working outdoors in the Canadian Prairie at down to -55C, -67C with windchill and worked in +45C in the Okanagan doing physical labor, I'll weigh in and say F*** that s***. Even holidays in Central BC at +49C in the "hottest place in Canada" with it's desert dry heat were better than East Coast summers...

I spent a few summers out in Ontario visiting family and have never been so utterly uncomfortable. I can't believe people chose to deal with the humidity and corresponding rise in true temperature that the humidex brings... +33C with a humidex of +43C, or +37 with humidex of +49C - WTF, who choses to live in that? One of the considerations I made when I moved from Central BC into the Yukon Territory (1800km north) was that the average summer day temperatures dropped 10C to a more manageable +15-+25C range. Then the heat wave hitting us with +30C nearly killed locals here, even without the humidity because nobody knows how to cope with the heat...

I'm curious where abouts on the Eastern seaboard is "here"?

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
And the Blues have another 10 games (8 NBCSN, 2 NBC) on NBC broadcasts this season, 2 of which being Chicago games :facepalm: I wish the Blues could get NBC coverage like the Canes and their one game this year. Of course I hate NBC coverage of Blues games, some of you might feel differently.

#1 Nov 14 @ CHI (NBCSN) 8pm
#2 Nov 28 @ DET (NBCSN) 7pm
#3 Dec 5 EDM (NBCSN) 8pm
#4 Jan 21 @ LA (NBCSN) 4pm
#5 Feb 10 @ NASH (NBC) 12:30pm
#6 Feb 17 @ MIN (NBC) 3pm
#7 Feb 19 TOR (NBCSN) 8pm
#8 Feb 24 @ MIN (NBCSN) 7pm
#9 Mar 6 @ ANA (NBCSN) 10pm
#10 April 3 @ CHI (NBCSN) 8pm

2 home games in all of those, with February being the roughest month with 4 dates being all closely together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chief Steele

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Sorry OT.
The weather has been horribly hot in The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Denmark and Norway, as well, with the worst drought in many years. I can't wait for hockey weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad