Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Schenn has been a fantastic addition in every sense. I remember Armstrong saying they liked him because of his character and he has delivered.

We should have a nice leadership group this year.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Schenn has been a fantastic addition in every sense. I remember Armstrong saying they liked him because of his character and he has delivered.

We should have a nice leadership group this year.

Agree. Schenn is an important piece to this team. Id love to see him with the C. Nothing personal to Petro, but id rather Petro have the A. Petro is the best player on the team, but Schenn seems more like C material to me.

Last edited:

brokeu91

Jul 4, 2017
Rhode Island
Agree. Schenn is an important piece to this team. Id love to see him with the C. Nothing personal to Petro, but id rather Petro have the A. Petro is the best player player on the team, but Schenn seems more like C material to me.
I completely agree and was about to post something similar. Schenn needs to be here for the long haul. Next year after JBouw and Gunnarson leave, we need to lock him and Petro up. They both need to finish their careers wearing the Blue Note.

Reactions: Mike Liut

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Watching some playoffs video of Jordan Nolan on the Kings. I hope he has some of that energy left. I kind of hope he makes the team out of camp. I love what he brings! He just has to be used sparingly .

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
Yeah I really hope he makes the Rampage he’s gonna be a big help with the youngins.

Hopes he makes the Rampage? If he doesn't make the blues as an extra forward he will certainly "make" the rampage, he has been an NHL player for the past 5 seasons. I see him sending Thorburn packing.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I think Nolan has a decent chance to make the team as the 12-14th forward.

And if he doesn’t make it in camp I suspect he’ll still see a good 20-30 games with the Blues when injuries hit or they want to infuse some toughness.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think Nolan has a decent chance to make the team as the 12-14th forward.

And if he doesn’t make it in camp I suspect he’ll still see a good 20-30 games with the Blues when injuries hit or they want to infuse some toughness.

Won’t be easy with Barbashev, Blais, Jaskin, Foley and Kyrou all waiting

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It would be a big shock if Nolan made the roster, and the fact he has a two-way contract highlights that.

We have 10 spots taken up by the obvious players; Tarasenko, O'Reilly, Steen, Schwartz, Schenn, Bozak, Perron, Maroon, Fabbri & Jaškin.

I can't see Soshnikov or Barbashev being put on waivers on the back of a bad camp showing. That takes it to 12.

It's difficult to see Thomas not getting at least a 9 game look. 13.

We currently have 8 defensemen, so unless we trade one of them then that's our roster.

That's before we even consider Kyrou.

Even if there is a spot for him to fight for, he still has to beat out Thorburn and Sundqvist. I'm not a fan of Sundqvist, but I'd still rather him as an extra than Nolan. If Sundqvist is called on then he can still get PK time and give one of our top-9 a rest in that department for that game.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Can we really lock on Fabbri to make in team? What if he isn't same what he use to be and needs work half of season in the AHL before he's ready for NHL time. Can he play AHL btw?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Can we really lock on Fabbri to make in team? What if he isn't same what he use to be and needs work half of season in the AHL before he's ready for NHL time. Can he play AHL btw?
He can't play in the AHL without going through waivers, and he'd absolutely be claimed by another team. We could send him to the AHL on a 14 day conditioning stint, but that wouldn't be much of a help.

Reactions: rumrokh

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I don't think Fabbri will be the question mark many on here think he will be. He's already skating, training, etc. If the injury was going to happen again, it would have happened. I don't expect him to have a breakout year, but I will bet he comes very close to 40 points this year.

Reactions: The Note in MI

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
There could be worse things... Like Thorburn.

I actually wouldn't be too upset, the dude lays the body on fools better than most in the league.
It was tongue in cheek. I hope he doesn’t touch the blues roster.
I don't care if he sits in the pressbox more than half the season. I just want him in the lineup each and every time we play Nashville and Winnipeg. I am dying to see Nolan lay out Subban. Just clothes-line him! :D

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I don't care if he sits in the pressbox more than half the season. I just want him in the lineup each and every time we play Nashville and Winnipeg. I am dying to see Nolan lay out Subban. Just clothes-line him! :D
Wouldn't you rather play an NHL quality that would aid us in winning against said teams??
You know, instead of wasting that spot on some waiver fodder nothing player that does nothing productive?
And if Nolan is ever out there against Subban well that's terrible coaching and it's more probable Nashville scores than Subban even gets tapped by Nolan.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Well, I can tell who the new whipping boy is going to be ... :sarcasm:
My personal whipping boy (and VERY justifiably so) is Bouwmeester don't get the wrong idea.

We have at least 6 (Jaskin, Sosh, Barbashev, Sundqvist, Blais, Kyrou) guys who aren't going to play in the top nine that are undeniably better than Nolan so there's literally zero reason he should ever see the NHL next season barring a drastic amount of injuries.

But sure mock me for questioning the validity of Nolan even playing instead of answering the question I asked.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Wonder if we'll see a Stone Temple Pilots line at some point this year Schenn-Tarasenko-Perron or Schenn-Thomas-Perron. Unless Schwartz & Schenn's chemistry dries up I doubt it, but would be cool.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
My personal whipping boy (and VERY justifiably so) is Bouwmeester don't get the wrong idea.

We have at least 6 (Jaskin, Sosh, Barbashev, Sundqvist, Blais, Kyrou) guys who aren't going to play in the top nine that are undeniably better than Nolan so there's literally zero reason he should ever see the NHL next season barring a drastic amount of injuries.

But sure mock me for questioning the validity of Nolan even playing instead of answering the question I asked.
It was certainly not my intention to mock you. My apologies. I am very aware of your valuation of Bouwmeester. I just thought Nolan had some value as one of the NHL's hardest hitters. Obviously, physicality is no longer a valued contribution. My bad.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
It was certainly not my intention to mock you. My apologies. I am very aware of your valuation of Bouwmeester. I just thought Nolan had some value as one of the NHL's hardest hitters. Obviously, physicality is no longer a valued contribution. My bad.
Physicality can very much be useful, the thing with Nolan is his physicality would be completely useless.

The purpose of a hit is to separate an opponent from the puck and generate a turnover. In Nolan's case, almost all of hits do the opposite, they don't change the possession of the puck because the player he ran at already moved the puck. Adding in that Nolan isn't going to create any chances for, isn't dependable in his own end, doesn't generate puck possession, is not any good on special teams and it gets to the point where you have to ask yourself, what the hell does he actually do?

There are plenty of physical players that use physicality very effectively, Nolan simply isn't one of them. How hard he hits is irrelevant because his hits are pointless.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I don't think Fabbri will be the question mark many on here think he will be. He's already skating, training, etc. If the injury was going to happen again, it would have happened. I don't expect him to have a breakout year, but I will bet he comes very close to 40 points this year.

There is a giant difference between 'skating, training, etc' and an actual game (even preseason game). He was skating and training last summer and was fully cleared on July 31, 2017. He was cleared on July 3, 2018 this go around. The odds of receiving the type of hit that would re-injure a knee during offseason training are drastically lower than receiving that hit in a training camp or actual game. I doubt he has dealt with any contact beyond a contact drill where he knows 100% where impact is coming from and has time to brace his body appropriately.

I'm not too worried about Fabbri, but the lack of an injury in the 2 weeks since he has been fully cleared doesn't prove anything about his knee's durability.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Fabbri reinjured his knee with a cross over jump iirc. Wasn't even contact related

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad