Blues Discussion Thread 2018-2019 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Fabbri reinjured his knee with a cross over jump iirc. Wasn't even contact related

Where did you see that? I always thought his injury was one of those, "we don't know exactly when it happened, but there was swelling after the game."

I wasn't clear in my post. I realize that a knee injury doesn't have to be contact related, but it is almost always the result of having to make a last second adjustment to something happening in the play. That type of thing is difficult to simulate in practice or off season training. My point was that we won't know whether the knee is structurally compromised based on a few weeks of summer training.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Where did you see that? I always thought his injury was one of those, "we don't know exactly when it happened, but there was swelling after the game."

I wasn't clear in my post. I realize that a knee injury doesn't have to be contact related, but it is almost always the result of having to make a last second adjustment to something happening in the play. That type of thing is difficult to simulate in practice or off season training. My point was that we won't know whether the knee is structurally compromised based on a few weeks of summer training.
I think he said it, He felt it pop when he either jumped or landed. Can't remember exactly where I read it though

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
He’ll have a few more months under his belt this time around won’t he?

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Here’s our “prospect pool” core if we consider 25 and under:

Parayko
Fabbri
Edmundson
Dunn
Kyrou
Thomas
Husso

Having a C, RW, and LW that all project to be top-6, three dman all projecting to be top-4, and a goalie that projects to be a starter is a very good under 25 core, and that doesn’t even include Kostin, Bokk, Fitzpatrick, etc., and Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Schenn that just miss the age cut. We’ve really got a strong, young core moving forward that should allow us to easily navigate the cap and have continued success for a long time. We don’t really NEED to draft anything at this point other than more goalies.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Prospect-wise, sure, but it's just not a need. You draft a RHD and play them where? Schmaltz still can barely crack the lineup.
Aren't we speaking of prospects here?

Its easier to fill the hole in the 3rd pair dmen via trade then draft, but I'm just summing up where we could need to fill in. If Schmaltz can't crack in NHL level, you believe Reinke has it? And lets not talk about LHD players play at their off-side.

We've very good depth in all areas, but if we nitpick its maybe RHD (and goaltenders) which are our need in prospect pool.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Aren't we speaking of prospects here?

Its easier to fill the hole in the 3rd pair dmen via trade then draft, but I'm just summing up where we could need to fill in. If Schmaltz can't crack in NHL level, you believe Reinke has it? And lets not talk about LHD players play at their off-side.

We've very good depth in all areas, but if we nitpick its maybe RHD (and goaltenders) which are our need in prospect pool.
I mean goalies we look pretty set with Husso, Fitzpatrick and even Binnington right now. That's solid depth.

I don't think Reinke will play much here which kinda proves my point about the RHD. Stockpiling depth there is almost just useless unless we are planning to use some as trade bait.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Here’s our “prospect pool” core if we consider 25 and under:

Parayko
Fabbri
Edmundson
Dunn
Kyrou
Thomas
Husso

Having a C, RW, and LW that all project to be top-6, three dman all projecting to be top-4, and a goalie that projects to be a starter is a very good under 25 core, and that doesn’t even include Kostin, Bokk, Fitzpatrick, etc., and Tarasenko, Schwartz, and Schenn that just miss the age cut. We’ve really got a strong, young core moving forward that should allow us to easily navigate the cap and have continued success for a long time. We don’t really NEED to draft anything at this point other than more goalies.

I think this is the most talent this organization has ever had at one time. Very excited for the future. Like you mentioned, your list doesn’t even include Petro, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn due to barely missing with age and also doesn’t include Kostin, Bokk and Foley, who all 3 im very high on. Awesome future ahead for us.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I think this is the most talent this organization has ever had at one time. Very excited for the future. Like you mentioned, your list doesn’t even include Petro, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn due to barely missing with age and also doesn’t include Kostin, Bokk and Foley, who all 3 im very high on. Awesome future ahead for us.

I will say I'm not sure if it's the most talent we've ever had,but it's certainly the most talent in or going into it's prime that we have ever had. Like, outside of Steen, Bouwmeester, and maybe Gunnar, everyone is young.

Reactions: Mike Liut

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
What a masterful offseason for Armstrong.

The only piece of the puzzle left to figure out for next year is who are the 10th-13th/14th forwards that will make the team out of camp and resigning Schmaltz. Either way, Blues should have almost 700k in cap space to start the year. Training camp and the preseason should be highly competitive.

Pick 4-5 of the forwards from this group to round out the bottom of the roster:
Barbashev, Jaskin, Soshnikov, Thorburn, Nolan, Blais, Sanford, Sundqvist, Thomas, Kyrou

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
What a masterful offseason for Armstrong.

The only piece of the puzzle left to figure out for next year is who are the 10th-13th/14th forwards that will make the team out of camp and resigning Schmaltz. Either way, Blues should have almost 700k in cap space to start the year. Training camp and the preseason should be highly competitive.

Pick 4-5 of the forwards from this group to round out the bottom of the roster:
Barbashev, Jaskin, Soshnikov, Thorburn, Nolan, Blais, Sanford, Sundqvist, Thomas, Kyrou

Thomas, Jaskin, Soshnikov, Thorburn, and Nolan. Everybody else to AHL to start.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012

Really, on that list you have Thorburn and Nolan but not Barbashev?

For me it's Thomas, Sosh, Barbie, Jaskin, and Thorburn (I'd like to waive him, but eh). If Kyrou forces his way into this list, all the better.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017

For me it's Thomas, Sosh, Barbie, Jaskin, and Thorburn (I'd like to waive him, but eh). If Kyrou forces his way into this list, all the better.

I'm taking Schmaltz + Jaskin, Barbashev, Thomas and Kyrou/Soshnikov.

Thorburn, Nolan, Sundqvist and Soshnikov on waivers and assigned to AHL if not claimed.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I'm taking Schmaltz + Jaskin, Barbashev, Thomas and Kyrou/Soshnikov.

Thorburn, Nolan, Sundqvist and Soshnikov on waivers and assigned to AHL if not claimed.

I don't see Soshnikov being put on waivers unless he has a horrible camp. Good speed and grit I would think he is a lock on the 4th line if he is still here.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I don't see Soshnikov being put on waivers unless he has a horrible camp. Good speed and grit I would think he is a lock on the 4th line if he is still here.

Agreed. Soshnikov should at least be one of the 14 forwards. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t make the team.

Unless he’s injured...again. Then starts on IR.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013

I'm actually a big Barbashev fan, but would prefer he start the season in San Antonio. Let those guys kill it in the AHL and build a bunch of confidence while the slugs Thorburn, Nolan, and Jaskin rotate between the press box and 4th line bruiser duty. After last season, Barby has to really earn it to make the team this season. That was the statement Army made when he brought in 4 veteran forwards and re-signed Fabbri.

Chief Steele

Jun 26, 2018
I'm actually a big Barbashev fan, but would prefer he start the season in San Antonio. Let those guys kill it in the AHL and build a bunch of confidence while the slugs Thorburn, Nolan, and Jaskin rotate between the press box and 4th line bruiser duty. After last season, Barby has to really earn it to make the team this season. That was the statement Army made when he brought in 4 veteran forwards and re-signed Fabbri.

If I am not mistaken Barbs would have to go thru waivers I think and he would not make it through.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
If I am not mistaken Barbs would have to go thru waivers I think and he would not make it through.
I did not think it was so. If true, disregard my opinion.

Edit: It's true.

Edit 2: Thomas, Barbashev, Soshnikov, Jaskin

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'd waive Sundqvist long before Soshnikov.
I disagree. Sundqvist is more important to us then Soshnikov. We lack of at least decent 4th line center. In my eyes our 4th line center is biggest leak. Thomas, Barbashev and Sundqvist.

Still we don't have bottom 6 center who could be release top6 forward group PK icetime. We're going to depending too much at ROR's work load.

We're going to see in season how valuable Brodziak was to us. Getting him to leave will have impact in our PK %.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brockon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad