Half-Assed GDT: Blues at Avs :: Just another game, folks

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Doesn't philly get our first? I doubt Philly is crying they are in the playoffs without Schenn after missing the playoffs last year. We are out of the playoffs with Schenn after making the playoffs last year without him.

Army needs to be fired, but like someone else has said he just signed and extension so it's unlikely.
Is this in some way suggesting Schenn was a problem for St. Louis?

Reactions: Bendak

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He'll do something stupid. We'll miss out on Tavares, sign local boy Maroon to 'appease the home crowd', sign Bozak to a 6 year $5.8M contract, keep the kids in San Antonio so they can get a full season under the Blues control of the team and trade Winny's 1st, Thompson and Kostin for Simmonds. Then we'll have to act shocked when we don't improve next season.
Thanks for making us feel even worse than just being bitter about being knocked out of this year's playoffs. Why don't you volunteer to cheer up old sick people by showing them life expectancy data? :thumbd:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
He is the main event tonight in a big UFC pay-per-view. Ranksu was probably saying he was going to switch over to watch it right that minute.
Thanks. While I'm stewing over the awful results to this Blues' season, I didn't need the added pressure of thinking that I'm totally out of synch with the Finnish way of thinking! :rolleyes:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I was watching on DVR and behind the live action. Here are my thoughts, for whatever they are worth:

1) Offsides review - Wow are some people on this board a bunch of hypocritical whiners. If the roles were reversed and we had a goal taken away for the exact same circumstances, we would have been livid. I think it was offside, but it definitely was not clear. And most importantly whether it was offside or not had nothing to do with the goal. We kept playing and we got scored on. Its been said on here several times by several people that the rule should not be used to overturn a goal based on millimeters, especially when the goal was not directly caused by the offside. It should be reserved for egregious missed calls. That is not the case here, so I am fine with them upholding the goal. If you have ever complained about the rule and then suddenly want to use it when it helps you, you are a hypocrite. Its a shitty rule that is inconsistently enforced. It needs to be fixed. However, it had ZERO effect on this game.

2) Allen - He wasn't bad, but I don't think he was that good. He made some great saves, He also scrambled and gave up rebounds a lot, but just wasn't burned by it. He absolutely has to find a way to fight through traffic if he is going to keep playing in the NHL. That's his kryptonite. He needed to save one of those first two and the third one in a critical game. They are not egregious goals but they are stoppable. Blues didn't help him near enough, but he also didn't redeem himself in my eyes.

3) Missing the playoffs - I'm not happy about it, but I'm also not that upset. We are a borderline playoff team, especially with injuries and trading Stastny. We just have too many bottom 6 guys. Armstrong might have expected some to step up, but they didn't. When Tarasenko went down, we had 3 guys that could be considered top 6, and 7 guys who could arguably be considered 4th liners on a contender. We have a few who should be AHLers as well.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I was watching on DVR and behind the live action. Here are my thoughts, for whatever they are worth:

1) Offsides review - Wow are some people on this board a bunch of hypocritical whiners. If the roles were reversed and we had a goal taken away for the exact same circumstances, we would have been livid. I think it was offside, but it definitely was not clear. And most importantly whether it was offside or not had nothing to do with the goal. We kept playing and we got scored on. Its been said on here several times by several people that the rule should not be used to overturn a goal based on millimeters, especially when the goal was not directly caused by the offside. It should be reserved for egregious missed calls. That is not the case here, so I am fine with them upholding the goal. If you have ever complained about the rule and then suddenly want to use it when it helps you, you are a hypocrite. Its a ****ty rule that is inconsistently enforced. It needs to be fixed. However, it had ZERO effect on this game.

2) Allen - He wasn't bad, but I don't think he was that good. He made some great saves, He also scrambled a gave up rebounds a lot, but just wasn't burned by it. He absolutely has to find a way to fight through traffic if he is going to keep playing in the NHL. That's his kryptonite. He needed to save one of those first two and the third one in a critical game. They are not egregious goals but they are stoppable. Blues didn't help him near enough, but he also didn't redeem himself in my eyes.

3) Missing the playoffs - I'm not happy about it, but I'm also not that upset. We are a borderline playoff team, especially with injuries and trading We just have too many bottom 6 guys. Armstrong might have expected some to step up, but they didn't. When Tarasenko went down, we had 3 guys that could be considered top 6, and 7 guys who could arguably be considered 4th liners on a contender. We have a few who should be AHLers as well.
1) I personally think I am pretty unbias and there is no way I would say the Blues were onside on that call. I wouldn't have been livid at all if that goal was taken away from my team. Seen plenty of challenges not go the Blues way where I wasn't livid. It changed the tone of the game for sure though and absolutely had an effect on how the rest of the game played out.

2) Allen is just not consistent enough to be an NHL starter. We can break it down however we want, bottom line - he can't handle being a starter.

3) That is why this team keeps fans. Lots of Blues fans are OK with missing the playoffs in these kinds of situations. Blame whatever you want, other teams who made the playoffs have had big injuries too. The other side of it that you haven't touched on here is some people get excited that we have a better draft pick (on some years). I will never understand people who get more excited for the draft and prospects than playoff hockey. As if those prospects will lead us to a cup some day like (recently) Oshie, Tarasenko, Backes, Perron and Berglund were supposed to do. You can go back further and further in history and these guys the Blues get to get everyone excited do just that. Get people excited so fans have something to cheer for but the Blues are again a long ways away from a cup if they will even ever win one. I am starting to think I have already seen some of the best Blues hockey I will ever see in my lifetime and it's still not good enough. It's definitely the end of this era IMO and again will be a while before were tops in the West again and have a legit shot at a cup.

It's the Blues. We have lived with this s**t our whole lives. Let down after let down, year after year. Yet we still give them ratings on the TV and radio and still buy their gear and pretend like some day we will win it all. I am guilty of this as much as anyone else. It's sad and I'm kind of PO'd right now. Like I am every single freaking April.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
1) I personally think I am pretty unbias and there is no way I would say the Blues were onside on that call. I wouldn't have been livid at all if that goal was taken away from my team. Seen plenty of challenges not go the Blues way where I wasn't livid. It changed the tone of the game for sure though and absolutely had an effect on how the rest of the game played out.

2) Allen is just not consistent enough to be an NHL starter. We can break it down however we want, bottom line - he can't handle being a starter.

3) That is why this team keeps fans. Lots of Blues fans are OK with missing the playoffs in these kinds of situations. Blame whatever you want, other teams who made the playoffs have had big injuries too. The other side of it that you haven't touched on here is some people get excited that we have a better draft pick (on some years). I will never understand people who get more excited for the draft and prospects than playoff hockey. As if those prospects will lead us to a cup some day like (recently) Oshie, Tarasenko, Backes, Perron and Berglund were supposed to do. You can go back further and further in history and these guys the Blues get to get everyone excited do just that. Get people excited so fans have something to cheer for but the Blues are again a long ways away from a cup if they will even ever win one. I am starting to think I have already seen some of the best Blues hockey I will ever see in my lifetime and it's still not good enough. It's definitely the end of this era IMO and again will be a while before were tops in the West again and have a legit shot at a cup.

It's the Blues. We have lived with this s**t our whole lives. Let down after let down, year after year. Yet we still give them ratings on the TV and radio and still buy their gear and pretend like some day we will win it all. I am guilty of this as much as anyone else. It's sad and I'm kind of PO'd right now. Like I am every single freaking April.

Let me clarify #3. I am ok with missing the playoffs one year in the grand scheme of things; however, I am not ok with several things that transpired to put us in this situation. Winning or losing tonight did not effect my happiness level too much because all the things I am pissed about happened months ago or longer. I am a huge critic of Armstrong and many of the decisions he has made. It upsets me that I have rooted for the Blues for 25 years and have never seen a cup. It upsets me that our on ice performance this year could effect free agents decisions to sign here and management's decision to keep spending. However, looking at just tonight and losing, it doesn't bother me that much. Had we won, we still would have had all the same problems. The team we had this season was a coin flip to make it. They gave it a run, and came up just short. Now we need to address our issues and push toward the goal of winning the cup. No team always makes the playoffs. The teams that win more than regular season use their set-backs to make themselves better. That is what we need to do. So I am not going to cry over not getting the opportunity to be spanked by the Preds in 4. We weren't good enough, so let's fix it going forward. <fingers crossed>

As to #1, I'm going to have to take your opinion with a huge grain of salt when you don't even know which team was potentially off-sides. :sarcasm:

Reactions: mk80 and Bendak

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Ran the lottery simulator 100 times with Blues at 1.5% (Florida wins or loses in OT tomorrow). Blues got 1st pick twice and 2nd pick 4 times. LOL.

Reactions: mk80 and Bendak

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Ran the lottery simulator 100 times with Blues at 1.5% (Florida wins or loses in OT tomorrow). Blues got 1st pick twice and 2nd pick 4 times. LOL.
giphy.gif

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It always sucks when the Blues season ends. This season it isn't quite so devastating because the expectations were definitely not high, but making the playoffs should have been a low bar to clear and watching this team underachieve in failing to clear it hasn't been a particularly fun ride.

The Blues have a big "To Do" list this offeason. They're going to have to check some of those boxes if they're serious about being contenders next year, so there should be plenty to talk about this coming summer. That's small consolation considering what brought us to this point, but it's still something.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I mean I’m not counting on it happening whatsoever, but Jesus it’d be nice.

I’m in the group of folks that would rather lose this year’s 1st. No guarantees we will even be able to improve this off-season. We can easily be in a top ten draft pick position in 2019. I’d much rather have a better % of getting Jack Hughes if Blues get worse next season.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’m in the group of folks that would rather lose this year’s 1st. No guarantees we will even be able to improve this off-season. We can easily be in a top ten draft pick position in 2019. I’d much rather have a better % of getting Jack Hughes if Blues get worse next season.

That’s fair, but imagine a D core with Pietrangelo, Dahlin, Parayko, Edmundson, and Dunn lol.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Didn't see the game tonight, so I'll catch the highlights tomorrow, but injuries broke us this season, so Tarasenko getting hurt (I assume) is a painfully fitting end.

I realize there were a lot of complaints about our play (especially on the PP), but at full strength, we're a playoff team at the very least and have a lot of nice pieces to build around moving forward, here's hoping management gets it right in the off-season.

Nice to see Schenn get 70pts, anyone still think he should be playing on the wing?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You beat the odds, and still kept it down at almost impossible. It COULD happen. But things like THAT never happen with The Blues. But, then, we could think they just might, because they are overdue! :laugh:

Reactions: jura and Bendak

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
You beat the odds, and still kept it down at almost impossible. It COULD happen. But things like THAT never happen with The Blues. But, then, we could think they just might, because they are overdue! :laugh:

I told my buddy that the Bluesy thing that could happen was make the playoffs and watch the Avs win the lottery in the 15th spot. So maybe it will be the Blues. I guess we can have a GDT thread on April 28th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad