Half-Assed GDT: Blues at Avs :: Just another game, folks

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Didn't see the game tonight, so I'll catch the highlights tomorrow, but injuries broke us this season, so Tarasenko getting hurt (I assume) is a painfully fitting end.

I realize there were a lot of complaints about our play (especially on the PP), but at full strength, we're a playoff team at the very least and have a lot of nice pieces to build around moving forward, here's hoping management gets it right in the off-season.

Nice to see Schenn get 70pts, anyone still think he should be playing on the wing?

Only way he ends up on the wing is if we get a top 6 center at the draft, and then also somehow land JT in UFA.

Reactions: Bendak and shmotz

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I have a problem, in that my 2nd favourite team (my home town team) The Winnipeg Jets, determine how high The Blues' draft choice obtained from them, will be. If they go far (which they should), The Blues get a lower choice.

Convince yourself that the Blues plan B pick ends up better than their top choice, and that you really can have it all. You’re a Blues fan. You are already in the 90th percentile in terms of being able to delude yourself. Take it to that next level.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I’m in the group of folks that would rather lose this year’s 1st. No guarantees we will even be able to improve this off-season. We can easily be in a top ten draft pick position in 2019. I’d much rather have a better % of getting Jack Hughes if Blues get worse next season.
Next year's draft is supposed to be quite a bit deeper on top, and well into Round 3. So, it MIGHT be better to have next year's rather than this year's. But, being extremely lucky, and winning this year's lottery, and getting the 3rd pick, for example, would probably be better than getting the 15th to 20th pick in 2019, where The Blues will likely finish. I think that Army, and maturation of current prospects, and the return of Fabbri, will improve The Blues so that they won't finish low enough to pick higher than a pick below #11.

Reactions: Bendak

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Only way he ends up on the wing is if we get a top 6 center at the draft, and then also somehow land JT in UFA.

Agreed. Top 6 center is still a need, and hopefully we can at least get someone on Turris' level to help us catch up with Nashville and give us a nice 1-2 down the middle to match them.

The defense looks good with Dunn, Eddy, Parakyo and Petro as your core and top four. Not sure what you do with Bouwmeester and Gunnarson, but one of them should do fine on the third pairing.

I realize people will complain about goaltending too, but my question is do you bring back Hutton and run him and Husso? Or do you run Allen/Husso?

It'll be an interesting off-season at least.

Go Leafs/Knights/Jets.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Agreed. Top 6 center is still a need, and hopefully we can at least get someone on Turris' level to help us catch up with Nashville and give us a nice 1-2 down the middle to match them.

The defense looks good with Dunn, Eddy, Parakyo and Petro as your core and top four. Not sure what you do with Bouwmeester and Gunnarson, but one of them should do fine on the third pairing.

I realize people will complain about goaltending too, but my question is do you bring back Hutton and run him and Husso? Or do you run Allen/Husso?

It'll be an interesting off-season at least.

Go Leafs/Knights/Jets.

Yeah honestly, I think that’ll be what we do anyways. Get a top 6 guy at the draft to have your bases covered. Say you get JT, then your 2RW hole also gets fixed, instead of relying on a prospect.

As far as goaltending, I think Hutton is gone. I can see us swapping Allen with Lehner or someone of that level. He’s had a few seasons in Buffalo with a .920+ save % so the talent is there. Plus, you’d think our better D core would help too. Run him with Husso, and if he’s not ready, Binnington.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Was at the game tonight, and despite the disappointment, I have to admit that it was the most fun hockey environment I've witnessed first hand in a long time. It was clear after the 3rd goal that the Blues just didn't have it tonight. Losing Vova and seeing the lines without him was honestly painful. They never really stood a chance. Feel free to read into this what you will, but the jumbotrons at the pepsi center never once played a single replay of the controversial non-offsides call...thought that was really odd TBH.

Allen was good tonight (even with some of the ridiculous over sliding), but it still doesn't make up for the rest of his mistakes this season. I am honestly optimistic about the future of the franchise. Hopefully we have a good draft/offseason, our prospects continue to develop nicely, and our roster players come back hungry next year. FWIW I really think Foley is going to turn some heads.

Cheers, gents.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Was at the game tonight, and despite the disappointment, I have to admit that it was the most fun hockey environment I've witnessed first hand in a long time. It was clear after the 3rd goal that the Blues just didn't have it tonight. Losing Vova and seeing the lines without him was honestly painful. They never really stood a chance. Feel free to read into this what you will, but the jumbotrons at the pepsi center never once played a single replay of the controversial non-offsides call...thought that was really odd TBH.

Allen was good tonight (even with some of the ridiculous over sliding), but it still doesn't make up for the rest of his mistakes this season. I am honestly optimistic about the future of the franchise. Hopefully we have a good draft/offseason, our prospects continue to develop nicely, and our roster players come back hungry next year. FWIW I really think Foley is going to turn some heads.

Cheers, gents.
they didnt show the replay because it was clearly offsides, it wasnt even that close really. you can easily see white during normal speed and slowing it down and blowing it up makes it even more obvious.

it was over and the fix was in after that.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
they didnt show the replay because it was clearly offsides, it wasnt even that close really. you can easily see white during normal speed and slowing it down and blowing it up makes it even more obvious.

it was over and the fix was in after that.

I don't know if it was a "fix".

I just think the supposed "brain trust" in Toronto is brain dead. If 100 unbiased fans looked at that video/still frame years from now and are told that was considered "onside" by the NHL officials, they would laugh at the incompetence of the league. It clearly doesn't pass the common sense test. It was as if the boys in Toronto were deeming that the puck was still in by the width of a hair based on grainy video. I have no clue how you can do that. 99.99999% of the puck is obviously over. They made themselves look like idiots by trying oh so hard to make the 0.000001% be true.

Reactions: Bendak and Dbrownss

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Jeez - did Yeo stick his nose and eyebrows into a patch of poison ivy?
No he has just cried.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Bendak and Dbrownss

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Let me clarify #3. I am ok with missing the playoffs one year in the grand scheme of things; however, I am not ok with several things that transpired to put us in this situation. Winning or losing tonight did not effect my happiness level too much because all the things I am pissed about happened months ago or longer. I am a huge critic of Armstrong and many of the decisions he has made. It upsets me that I have rooted for the Blues for 25 years and have never seen a cup. It upsets me that our on ice performance this year could effect free agents decisions to sign here and management's decision to keep spending. However, looking at just tonight and losing, it doesn't bother me that much. Had we won, we still would have had all the same problems. The team we had this season was a coin flip to make it. They gave it a run, and came up just short. Now we need to address our issues and push toward the goal of winning the cup. No team always makes the playoffs. The teams that win more than regular season use their set-backs to make themselves better. That is what we need to do. So I am not going to cry over not getting the opportunity to be spanked by the Preds in 4. We weren't good enough, so let's fix it going forward. <fingers crossed>

As to #1, I'm going to have to take your opinion with a huge grain of salt when you don't even know which team was potentially off-sides. :sarcasm:
Okay its a few hours later and I have had sleep. I was super pumped for last nights game, it was basically a game 7 to me. No doubt we would have had the same problems if we had won it's just that we see teams that aren't supposed to do great in the playoffs perform well a lot of times and we have seen the Blues be 'the team to beat' so many times recently in the playoffs and we watch them fall flat on their face. I was actually excited to NOT be the team to beat in the playoffs and see what this Blues team could do. Something different at least.

The most frustrating thing to me was how great the Blues played in Oct and Nov (even with Allen). We KNOW this group has the ability to do great things. Another reason I was excited just to make it. But here we are again in April talking about the offseason... **** me.

As for your last comment. Angry poster incoherence aside, I am pretty sure you knew the point I was trying to make. ;)

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
If there is any game that defines a 5-year-old rivalry it's this one. This game will be talked about by fans of both teams for years to come. The Suds Series (so named because both teams represent home cities of major brewing companies) will never be the same after this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad