Blue Jays/MLB 2020 SZN

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Houston is pretty securely into the #6 seed, don’t think there’s any way the Jays can play them. If they pass the Yankees it’ll be either the White Sox, Twins or Cleveland depending on how their division shakes out.

you are correct, I had the wrong matchup order in my head when I made that post (5 vs 6 instead of 4 vs 5)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think that might have the been first time the Jays have ever really blown up Tanaka like that. The guy has absolutely killed the Jays in his career.

In your opinion, do the Yankees resign him this offseason?
They should be moving on from him for sure. Domingo Germain will be coming back next year, if he can withhold himself from beating up women. Or they move on from him as well, despite his talents. I've said all along that their biggest issue is starting pitching, but cracks are now appearing in the bullpen too, with Kahnle gone with injury, and some of the other replacements less than stellar. And they need to re-jig their team and start to get some speed and agility in the lineup. They really have no one to steal bases or create some runs in tight games. When the long ball disappears, you need to manufacture runs in other ways. Cashman has built the team to win by hitting homers, and using the short left field porch at Yankee Stadium. I can't see them lasting long in the playoffs.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Terrible call. Shoemaker was cruising. Montoyo probably cost them the game with that call.

Well that and not getting any hits, but yeah Montoyo has been brutal at making adjustments all year. Don't know if its a 'plan' put forth by upper management but it doesn't make sense to me.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don’t think Montoyo is as smart as he thinks he is. Why pull a guy pitching well in the fourth inning of a playoff game? I think the idea of an “opener” is stupid at the best of times. It’s magnified in a playoff game. Not only have you pulled a guy pitching well early in the game, you’ve now burned one of your bullpen arms with several more innings to go and created problems for yourself you may not have had. Way to outsmart yourself Charlie. Smh.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Flub an easy groundball to end the inning and give up a grand slam to the next batter, Jays season in a nutshell.

Onto next year.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

It's a long-shot, but signing Bauer this off-season would be an absolute dream.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
That also would work, I'd be scared to see what he would cost though.

Groshans + Manoah + ?

Yeah it would be a big package but worth it IMO. A big issue with the Jays this year was team defence, so getting a Gold Glove SS in his prime would be a huge pickup. I actually think Bo has done alright at short and would be fine leaving him there if we couldn't get another shortstop, but i think he can be an elite second baseman as well.

All depends on the cost though. Lindor had a bit of a down season and only has one season left so it might not be an astronomical return but I would expect something similar to what Betts returned.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Terrible call. Shoemaker was cruising. Montoyo probably cost them the game with that call.

Disagree. Yeah Shoe was cruising but Ray was pretty good as well.

Overall: You will not win games if you can only score 1 run. The average ERA for an MLB starter is 3. To win a game you need to score more than 3 runs. The Jays straight up didn’t do that in game 1 or 2.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Yeah it would be a big package but worth it IMO. A big issue with the Jays this year was team defence, so getting a Gold Glove SS in his prime would be a huge pickup. I actually think Bo has done alright at short and would be fine leaving him there if we couldn't get another shortstop, but i think he can be an elite second baseman as well.

All depends on the cost though. Lindor had a bit of a down season and only has one season left so it might not be an astronomical return but I would expect something similar to what Betts returned.

It’s probably not going to happen. Shapiro and Atkins are willing to trust the process rather than gamble a future on a trade.

Plus I think they’re squarely focused on the outfield (specifically CF) and pitching (specifically starters).

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
It’s probably not going to happen. Shapiro and Atkins are willing to trust the process rather than gamble a future on a trade.

Plus I think they’re squarely focused on the outfield (specifically CF) and pitching (specifically starters).

Oh yeah, totally agree there is no way Shapiro/Atkins empty the cupboards in a trade.

Never know though. Atkins has said they'll look to add a single high-impact player and that teams might be more willing to use prospects instead of cash to acquire talent. So if they don't sign Bauer or Realmuto, who will both have significant interest, i'm not sure that player is in free agency.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Oh yeah, totally agree there is no way Shapiro/Atkins empty the cupboards in a trade.

Never know though. Atkins has said they'll look to add a single high-impact player and that teams might be more willing to use prospects instead of cash to acquire talent. So if they don't sign Bauer or Realmuto, who will both have significant interest, i'm not sure that player is in free agency.

I'd love to get either one of those guys, but I'm not optimistic.

If I was to guess, Atkins probably will be willing to wait-and-see what Kirk and Jansen can do next year when it comes to catcher. I think Jansen is kinda what he is; less Gary Sanchez, more Jeff Mathis. Kirk is very young but he was showing some real signs to be optimistic.

I think he'll make an offer on Bauer but if I was to guess where he's going it's probably going to be either the Dodgers or the Yankees (fart, shit, barf). He's going to command similar money to Ryu due too, so I'm not sure if Atkins wants to dump the same amount of money two years in a row.

More than likely Atkins will look to retain Ray and Walker and try to attempt to fill the #2 slot in the rotation. Maybe he can swing a trade for somebody like Tehran (yeah, i know about this year lol), or Eovaldi. I also wouldn't be mad if he signed someone like Smyly.

Ryu
Smyly/Eovaldi/Tehran
Walker
Ray
Thornton/Roark

I expect Pearson to play in AAA next year if the year is "normal".

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
I'd love to get either one of those guys, but I'm not optimistic.

If I was to guess, Atkins probably will be willing to wait-and-see what Kirk and Jansen can do next year when it comes to catcher. I think Jansen is kinda what he is; less Gary Sanchez, more Jeff Mathis. Kirk is very young but he was showing some real signs to be optimistic.

I think he'll make an offer on Bauer but if I was to guess where he's going it's probably going to be either the Dodgers or the Yankees (fart, shit, barf). He's going to command similar money to Ryu due too, so I'm not sure if Atkins wants to dump the same amount of money two years in a row.

More than likely Atkins will look to retain Ray and Walker and try to attempt to fill the #2 slot in the rotation. Maybe he can swing a trade for somebody like Tehran (yeah, i know about this year lol), or Eovaldi. I also wouldn't be mad if he signed someone like Smyly.

Ryu
Smyly/Eovaldi/Tehran
Walker
Ray
Thornton/Roark

I expect Pearson to play in AAA next year if the year is "normal".

Definitely agree on the catching situation, I think management is actually pretty confident in some mix of Jansen/Kirk/Moreno.

But i hope we can go into next year with a better rotation than that personally. Not saying its likely we can get a major upgrade but to me that looks like a downgrade from this year even.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad