Blue Jays/MLB 2020 SZN

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Congrats to the Rays, they earned it! I really like seeing a team who is forced to do things outside the box due to financial reasons succeed. 28th highest opening day payroll and going to the world series, much respect. Cash is one of the most innovative managers in the league.

But most of all, suck it Astros. Good on them for coming back from down 3-0 but happy i don't have to watch those cheaters anymore.

Meh, I hate the Rays just as much as I hate the Astros. All their players are smug and unlikable, and being a small market team doesn't give them a pass.

I don't particularly like the Dodgers or the Braves, but either of them are a easy choice to cheer for in the WS.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Meh, I hate the Rays just as much as I hate the Astros. All their players are smug and unlikable, and being a small market team doesn't give them a pass.

I don't particularly like the Dodgers or the Braves, but either of them are a easy choice to cheer for in the WS.

Really? I definitely don't like the Rays, years of them having the Jays number will do that to a fan and I don't find them to really be all that smug. But as much as the Astros? Not even close. Astros were the team I cheered for in the playoffs but they are a straight up disgrace now, and will forever be a black mark on the sport.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Really? I definitely don't like the Rays, years of them having the Jays number will do that to a fan and I don't find them to really be all that smug. But as much as the Astros? Not even close. Astros were the team I cheered for in the playoffs but they are a straight up disgrace now, and will forever be a black mark on the sport.
Yeah, I have a irrational hatred for the Rays due to how they’ve played the Jays.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I hate the Astros. Thank God they didn't advance. And when the fans come back, they'll still have to deal with it.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The Dodgers won't go away for Tampa. Which is fine. They don't need to win both.

6th pitching change for tb

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
What a game

What a sports day overall. I can't believe I got to see:

-Punjab beat Hyderabad in IPL Cricket (don't hate too hard, it's a fun sport to watch). One of the best games I've ever seen, it went right down to the wire. For those who've never watched it, imagine a BoA with Edmonton up 2-1 on Calgary late in the 3rd and then being shorthanded 5-on-3 for the final ten minutes. Punjab had no business winning but pulled it out with some timely bowling. A real nailbiter.

-Khabib coming out and making quick work of Gaethje... then retiring. Amazing way to go out.

-Then this, Game 4. An instant classic!

Great stuff overall, hard to think of many days that top it.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What an incredible game, and what an incredible finish! Possibly the best and wackiest ending you will ever see in a ball game. This one will go down for the ages, and will likely be one of those that people sit back and tell where they were when they saw this. Baseball can be boring at the best of times, but no other sport can capture the drama when it is at it's best.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Have no idea how you can hate the Rays. They are anything but smug. They are a true TEAM, with everyone playing for each other, using all of their players, many of them cast offs and misfits. I think you need to get over your butthurt from them blowing out your Blewjays.:laugh:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Have no idea how you can hate the Rays. They are anything but smug. They are a true TEAM, with everyone playing for each other, using all of their players, many of them cast offs and misfits. I think you need to get over your butthurt from them blowing out your Blewjays.:laugh:
Nah, they’re smug. They think that just because they’re a small market team it means they can act like jerks and throw at people’s heads.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
because they're the first MLB in history to do this? lol
I like the Rays...Jays fans are simply jealous

They're annoying because they're hypocritical about it. They pulled this stuff years ago and now that it gets done against them Cash says "we have a whole stable of guys who throw 99." lol.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Kevin Cash is the dumbest manager ever

You have to wonder if he returns next year. If I was Snell, I'd have pulled a Patrick Roy and told the owners this is the last game I'm playing in a Rays uniform. Those types of decisions in the playoffs and in an elimination game get a manager fired in baseball. He was pitching well enough he could have pitched a complete game shutout, but we will never know now.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You have to wonder if he returns next year. If I was Snell, I'd have pulled a Patrick Roy and told the owners this is the last game I'm playing in a Rays uniform. Those types of decisions in the playoffs and in an elimination game get a manager fired in baseball. He was pitching well enough he could have pitched a complete game shutout, but we will never know now.
Of course he’ll be back. Those decisions he made were organizational decisions, likely made as a team above his head.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Of course he’ll be back. Those decisions he made were organizational decisions, likely made as a team above his head.

To that, I quote ARod from last night:

"At a macro level, these front offices are really ruining our game," A-Rod said. "The Ivy Leaguers keep getting an F in this class called playoff baseball."

...and this:

...and this (he's quoting Joe Buck in this one)

This analytics bullshit is ruining baseball in my opinion.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Cloned said, "They're annoying because they're hypocritical about it. They pulled this stuff years ago and now that it gets done against them Cash says "we have a whole stable of guys who throw 99. lol.

He said that after his Chapman threw at a couple of his guys. Nothing that any other manager would say, and some a lot worse. And then their own guys do it. All part of the game. Again, you really need to get over the bashing your Jays took at the hands of the Rays. My Yanks got beat by them, and I have respect for them. Show some class in defeat.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's not a managerial decision, it's a team culture and mantra. It's the way they have decided to put together a team, to draft, to sign, to trade, to scout, and to manage. Cash is just a piece of that culture and did exactly the way their playbook reads. I don't like it either, as I've always enjoyed coaches and managers reacting to a "feel" for a game when needed, but Tampa goes by analytics. Hard to argue with their approach, as they have the lowest payroll, or near the lowest, and made it to game 6 of the WS. Likely would not have got there without the model they used.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
It's not a managerial decision, it's a team culture and mantra. It's the way they have decided to put together a team, to draft, to sign, to trade, to scout, and to manage. Cash is just a piece of that culture and did exactly the way their playbook reads. I don't like it either, as I've always enjoyed coaches and managers reacting to a "feel" for a game when needed, but Tampa goes by analytics. Hard to argue with their approach, as they have the lowest payroll, or near the lowest, and made it to game 6 of the WS. Likely would not have got there without the model they used.
Exactly this. And there are a lot of good ideas from analytics. It would be smart for managers to leave some wiggle room for the eye test for situations like this where the starter is dominant beyond the norm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad