Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
No.

I'm going to enjoy this. You can go the doom & gloom route if you'd like.
Hype Train.gif

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah. While there’s a part of my brain that looks at the softness of the schedule so far and wants to wait until ‘23 before I let myself get excited, it’s still just so good to see them play this way with speed and skill and getting back on it hard. Can’t help but be pretty happy for now.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wow I had to check the box score to see that Laine played. Did not hear his name once.
One case where the stats do not lie. If he is not scoring he does not provide value.
His shot is pretty nearly as good as Ovechkin's. I'm not even kidding, he has one of the best shots I've ever seen.

He just can't get the puck nearly as much as Ovechkin to fire his shot, nor even as much as players who aren't capable of scoring as many goals as him to begin with.

And it's because of all his deficiency's that he'll never be a really dominant goal scorer. And by dominant, I mean consistently have 40 or even 60 goal seasons.

I guess he could eventually put it together enough to fix his game to the point where he's really killing it on the scoreboard, as he's still only 24, but his goal output is getting lower most years since he entered the league.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
No.

I'm going to enjoy this. You can go the doom & gloom route if you'd like.
I'm not saying go doom and gloom at all. I'm super pumped about this team and the direction they are heading. But I'm far from calling this a dominant team after 9 games against a lot of meh competition and still being bottom 2 in team save percentage.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm not saying go doom and gloom at all. I'm super pumped about this team and the direction they are heading. But I'm far from calling this a dominant team after 9 games against a lot of meh competition and still being bottom 2 in team save percentage.
Bottom 2 in save percentage is a testament to how strong the team truly is.

If we allow so few shots, there's a good chance our save percentage won't be great, as fewer shots does cost you save percentage points sometimes, but we've allowed few enough shots that we haven't needed to be all that reliant on goalies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I don’t think it’s wrong to call them a dominant team right now. The game against the Jackets was one of the most statistically dominant games in the entire analytic era.

No guarantee that it continues, but there is also no reason it shouldn’t.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Yesterday was one of the most dominating games I've seen this team play in a ridiculously long time. Same for the game against the Islanders. They are playing dominant hockey right now - doesn't mean I necessarily think it's going to stay that way or that this team "has arrived".

You can pump the brakes - I'm gonna jam on the gas and enjoy this level of hockey for however long it lasts.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
He just can't get the puck nearly as much as Ovechkin to fire his shot, nor even as much as players who aren't capable of scoring as many goals as him to begin with
I think having an actual NHL top line center would help him greatly.

I think the save percentage is a bit misleading. We're in the bottom 2, but that's from 3 horrendous starts which drive the stats way down. Our scoring has not been able to overcome bad goaltending in any game yet.

If we're going to lose, it doesn't matter much if we lose big, as long as we win the tight ones, I guess.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think having an actual NHL top line center would help him greatly.

I think the save percentage is a bit misleading. We're in the bottom 2, but that's from 3 horrendous starts which drive the stats way down. Our scoring has not been able to overcome bad goaltending in any game yet.

If we're going to lose, it doesn't matter much if we lose big, as long as we win the tight ones, I guess.
With only 9 games played on the season, just a few bad games can really have a huge impact on save percentage or really any stat.

And we haven't really allowed a lot of shots in the games the goalies have played well for it to be padded a whole lot.

Vanecek has gotten himself to just barely below league average, after his first start really sunk him terribly. Even the shutout couldn't even bring him to .890% before yesterday's game.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Damn, that was a fun game to go to yesterday. Picked up dirt cheap tickets in the morning and took my kids to the game. Loved the 2:00 start time as it was easy getting in and out of Newark.

It's great that at 12 and 14 years old, they can finally see a dominant Devils team as all they've mostly known is misery from this franchise. At least I got to live through the glory years, which made the last 10 years more palatable. Really fun to finally enjoy a good Devils team with them.
be careful. you never know when the good samaritan effect strikes and they become blue jackets fans.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

If we allow so few shots, there's a good chance our save percentage won't be great, as fewer shots does cost you save percentage points sometimes, but we've allowed few enough shots that we haven't needed to be all that reliant on goalies.

Or when our goalies do finally get some games when they get peppered, we're going to go back to doom and gloom here. Regardless, I'm not getting the parade route ready after 9 games, but I'm obviously loving what I'm seeing.

Reactions: My3Sons

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yeah. While there’s a part of my brain that looks at the softness of the schedule so far and wants to wait until ‘23 before I let myself get excited, it’s still just so good to see them play this way with speed and skill and getting back on it hard. Can’t help but be pretty happy for now.
if you'll compare future games with the last one all of them will be a disappointment. i can't imagine to see an equal dominant performance once again. the blue jackets were just a punching ball on ice.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Damn, that was a fun game to go to yesterday. Picked up dirt cheap tickets in the morning and took my kids to the game. Loved the 2:00 start time as it was easy getting in and out of Newark.

It's great that at 12 and 14 years old, they can finally see a dominant Devils team as all they've mostly known is misery from this franchise. At least I got to live through the glory years, which made the last 10 years more palatable. Really fun to finally enjoy a good Devils team with them.

Seemed like a lot of people grabbed tickets last minute cause the Ticketmaster chart I looked at in the morning with a lot of empty seats didn't resemble the crowd that showed up.

Reactions: NJDevs26

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Nico is terrible. In any 2017 redraft, he goes in the 7th round.
The Avalanche TV-guys said Makar goes first in any redraft. I would have agreed until this season, but the way Hischier is playing now I am not so sure any more. Especially since we have Luke coming up soon.

Reactions: Guadana

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yesterday was one of the most dominating games I've seen this team play in a ridiculously long time. Same for the game against the Islanders. They are playing dominant hockey right now - doesn't mean I necessarily think it's going to stay that way or that this team "has arrived".

You can pump the brakes - I'm gonna jam on the gas and enjoy this level of hockey for however long it lasts.

Or when our goalies do finally get some games when they get peppered, we're going to go back to doom and gloom here. Regardless, I'm not getting the parade route ready after 9 games, but I'm obviously loving what I'm seeing.

I don’t see any parade routes being planned in that post.

They just enjoyed taking their kids to watch a really good Devils team, instead of one that tripping over it’s own dicks every other shift.

This is a good team. We can say that. Even if/when they face adversity this season, they will still be good.

I will say people who want a major trade this second should probably calm down because there’s almost no chance of that happening.

We don’t have cap space and aren’t accruing it and most teams don’t has cap space yet either, there’s a reason big early season trades don’t happen in the NHL. When teams make moves in February that’s considered early.

This team is still figuring itself out too. Fitz has a number of players to make a decision on, it will be fascinating to see how manages the team this season. A nice test.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The Avalanche TV-guys said Makar goes first in any redraft. I would have agreed until this season, but the way Hischier is playing now I am not so sure any more. Especially since we have Luke coming up soon.

this is where i would insert the jordan stop get some help gift if i knew how to do it.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
At this point, I agree that Makar is the slam dunk #1 in a redraft. If Nico has a huge breakout offensive season and Makar takes a step backward then maybe we can talk.

That stupid NHL redraft was hilarious though.

Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
after the first two games everyone has a right to be excited and happy and everyone has the right to see the schedule they played and think those are teams they should be doing that against. wait and see approach this team has started good before and then went off the rails before xmas.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

No, Makar is pretty safe at first but some redrafts have Nico comically low.

The one on NHL.com last June that had him 9th was wild.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013

According to EvolvingWild it was the most one-sided NHL game in the xG era (since 07-08).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad