Status
Not open for further replies.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

9FqbdNA.gif

zwPN50F.jpg

Before the game the Devils will honor Ken Daneyko for his 40 years with the club.

nmxvtMt.gif

DEVILS (5-3-0) vs. BLUE JACKETS (3-6-0)

Head-to-Head

The Devils will face the Blue Jackets three times this season. Twice at Prudential Center and once in Columbus, in February. The second visit to Newark for the Blue Jackets will be in April.

Last season, the teams met four times. Columbus won three games, all by a 4-3 score -- two in regulation and one in a shootout. The lone Devils win was at Prudential Center by a score of 3-1.

Jack Hughes led the way for the Devils with two goals and four points against the Jackets.Mackenzie Blackwood played in two of the games and had a 2.54 goals-against average and .924 save percentage.

Jakub Voracek had six points -- all assists -- to lead the Blue Jackets in scoring against New Jersey. Patrik Laine had two goals and three assists for five points.

Devils team scope:
The Devils have now won five of their last six games after starting the season 0-2. Most recently, Friday night's 1-0 win over the defending Cup champion Colorado Avalanche was a strong statement game for the club. Vitek Vanecek's shutout in the contest dropped his goals-against average to 2.40 after a shaky first two starts. In his last three games, Vanecek has a .940 save percentage and 1.29 goals-against average. The GAA is second among goaltenders who have played more than one game in the last 10 days.

Jesper Bratt leads the Devils with 13 points through seven games. He's picked up at least a point in every Devils game this season. Jack Hughes now has two goals in his last two games, including the team's only marker on Friday night.

Blue Jackets team scope:
Columbus has had a rocky start to the season with only three wins in their first nine games. The slow start is despite six of those games being at home. They've dropped their last two games, including 6-3 at home to the Arizona Coyotes who are one of the few teams lower than them in the standings. After today's game, the Blue Jackets head to Finland where they will face the Colorado Avalanche in a pair of games.

Newcomer Johnny Gaudreau leads the way for the Blue Jackets with eight points (five goals) in nine contests. Four players are tied for second with five points, including rookie Kent Johnson.

By the Numbers:
New Jersey is tied for eighth in the NHL with 10 points and fifth in the Eastern Conference, though they are six points behind Boston who has surged out to a 16-point lead. In terms of goals against per game, the Devils have allowed the seventh-fewest at 2.75 owed largely to allowing a league-low 21.8 shots against per game. The next lowest team, Seattle, has allowed 25.8 shots per game. The Devils are also second in the NHL with 37.6 shots for per game.

Columbus has allowed the fifth-most goals per game at 4.11. They have also yet to score a power play goal this season. The Devils, meanwhile, have the fourth-best penalty kill in the NHL at 92.6%. On Friday, they stopped the Avalanche on six power plays including a crucial one in the game's final minute of their 1-0 win. Going into the game, the Avs had a 50% power play efficiency rating (they still lead the League at 38.5%).

Injury Updates:

Devils

Jonathan Bernier (Hip - IR)
Ondrej Palat (Lower body - IR)

Blue Jackets
Jake Bean (Illness - Day-to-Day)
Adam Boqvist (Fractured Foot - IR)
Nick Blankenburg (Upper Body - Day-to-Day)
Justin Danforth (Upper Body - IR)
Joona Luoto (Lower Body - IR)
Joonas Korpisalo (Hip - IR)

HrgWP8w.jpg

D3RUEyS.png

vZNor5v.png

UiNXLqV.gif

mv4hGWE.png

jx7C63l.png

Last edited:

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Regarding our attendace, has it always been this bad? I mean we would be worst in the league if Arizona did not play in a 6k arena. Now we are 2nd last.

Or is the bad attendance just a slowly built result of being shit for 10 years? Edit: seems like our avg attendance fell by 2k after covid.

Do you expect it to get significantly better if Devils finally start to play winning hockey?

Also edit, was trying to post this to the Devils general discussion thread, mods pls transfer.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Last game before a mini western canada road trip, would like to see them win and not have it seem particularly difficult. Good teams (and I think NJ is a good team) win games like this without really sweating, though it seems like Columbus is getting rekt by bad goaltending at the moment.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Regarding our attendace, has it always been this bad? I mean we would be worst in the league if Arizona did not play in a 6k arena. Now we are 2nd last.

Or is the bad attendance just a slowly built result of being shit for 10 years? Edit: seems like our avg attendance fell by 2k after covid.

Do you expect it to get significantly better if Devils finally start to play winning hockey?

I dont somehow believe last games numbers. I think they said like 12k? Our arena seats about 17,000 for hockey? I thought more than 12k last game.

It was very crowded. Not full house but by 730pm it felt like 85% full. And loud/wild enough.

For those not in NJ its plenty loud and fun env. Its not as if they are playing in empty arena...

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

Also edit, was trying to post this to the Devils general discussion thread, mods pls transfer.

IIRC, we always seem to pick up a bit in december into the new year. as long as we keep winning, we’ll get people in the seats.

LGD. should be an easy 2 points

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I honestly forgot he's there.

For the sake of Bleed's blood pressure we need to crush these guys.
We usually do beat them once a year. We probably average 1 win a year against them. I think it's pretty rare we get swept by them, if we've ever been swept by them since they've been in our division.

Reactions: Guttersniped

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ

I think it’s a combination of lack of recent team success, hangover from Covid making people more accustomed to just watch from home, competition of the other major sports franchises in the area, and finally but not least our current economic conditions.

Not to mention our attendance was never great to begin with. Kinda comes part and parcel of being a Devils fan.

I was a first time season ticket holder last year, but just could not justify it to renew, especially when the resell market is non existent.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I think it’s a combination of lack of recent team success, hangover from Covid making people more accustomed to just watch from home, competition of the other major sports franchises in the area, and finally but not least our current economic conditions.

Not to mention our attendance was never great to begin with. Kinda comes part and parcel of being a Devils fan.

I was a first time season ticket holder last year, but just could not justify it to renew, especially when the resell market is non existent.
Not to mention having a ton of home games already in October (six in sixteen days) also saturates the market.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Doesn't look like it's gonna be a big crowd today, 200s are virtually empty on Ticketmaster. Guess lots of Halloween activities and people wanting to watch guys play with a ball for 12 mins over the course of 3 hours instead.

Either way,

LETS GO DEVILS!!!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I dont somehow believe last games numbers. I think they said like 12k? Our arena seats about 17,000 for hockey? I thought more than 12k last game.

It was very crowded. Not full house but by 730pm it felt like 85% full. And loud/wild enough.

For those not in NJ its plenty loud and fun env. Its not as if they are playing in empty arena...

It always seems to fill up 30 minutes after puck drop.

That said, I still think today will be a rough one.

Reactions: Whaddagoal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad