GDT: Blue Jackets @ Devils - 2:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
First game all season I didn't watch, as my son had a Lax tournament. But I did manage to listen to the second half of it on the radio and BOY it was a doozy.

I think the best was Chico Resch absolutely sh***ing on Columbus. It was brutal in its accurate honesty. I loved every moment. Finally got to watch the highlights. Some of the misses were better opportunities than some of our goals - Fingerlickins let in 3-4 softies, but we could've drilled 12 goals tonight. This team is absolutely flying and the confidence is growing.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Mrs. Tatar is that you ?
Come on man . I can dig up live game threads where Tatar is the direct cause of turning the pick over directly leading to goals against.
I,gave him some credit for playing better this year but still..
There is a reason why the guy is scratched every single playoff series he has been in for the past 5+ years.
He was scratched in the playoff two times in his career. Once in Vegas when he just didn’t fit on the team even in the regular season (after they traded a massive haul to get him), and once in MTL. He was getting 61% of shot attempts the last time he was scratched too. Not exactly getting his shit pushed in.

It’s just a tired narrative. Very much doubt he’s incapable of helping a team simply because it’s the postseason.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
I'm sure it was probably already mentioned, but it was certainly very fitting that our 3 defensive defensemen all scored goals (after not having scored in a combined 136 games prior to Sunday) on the day they were honoring Ken Daneyko.
i missed the brendan smith goal. 8-1?

• Haha
Reactions: Guadana and HBK27

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
We are playing way better defensively. I think other hot starts were mostly track meets and once teams adjusted to the fact we were fast things fell apart (that and our goaltending always went off a cliff)

Teams aren't going to be surprised by us much longer so how we adjust to their adjustments will be key.

This is why I'm still cautious. I'm more interested in how this team does when other teams adjust and ofc if goaltending holds up.

The fact score effects never came into play is kind of nuts too. Just domination start to finish.

I found it weird that the other team didn't seem to care when they scored. Was it because they actually didn't care or because they knew they were just getting dominated? a 3-1 game is definitely still in the game usually.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Only two things they need are things that if they keep winning, you probably won't touch. An elite top line winger + better goalie than what they've had to deal with Shesty in a possible playoff matchup.

They could use another LW veteran and a LD veteran. I'm not comfortable with Smith as the main #6 in the playoffs. I don't think goalie is going to be possible to upgrade through TDL but, if possible, that should be 1st priority ofc.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
They could use another LW veteran and a LD veteran. I'm not comfortable with Smith as the main #6 in the playoffs. I don't think goalie is going to be possible to upgrade through TDL but, if possible, that should be 1st priority ofc.
The Devils will likely have added Luke Hughes to the defense before the year ends. I imagine he may step right into the starting lineup.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
The Devils will likely have added Luke Hughes to the defense before the year ends. I imagine he may step right into the starting lineup.

As much as I'd like that, we don't have a good partner for him. If it were up to me, I'm never going back to Graves-Severson pairing.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They better be...to improve the team ofc.
The team is loaded with self rentals most if not all of whom won't be with the team next season. I'd be reluctant to offer much in trade to add real rental pieces for a team that has missed the playoffs all but one of the last ten seasons. Let them get in and have a decent showing and then they can see where to go next season when the cap goes up and a bunch of secondary contracts expire.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Aww c'mon.

3rd line centers like him go in the 6th round at the LATEST.
yeah he stinks

i think you get by with Bahl no problem in that spot.. Smith is playing just fine as of right now.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
The team is loaded with self rentals most if not all of whom won't be with the team next season. I'd be reluctant to offer much in trade to add real rental pieces for a team that has missed the playoffs all but one of the last ten seasons. Let them get in and have a decent showing and then they can see where to go next season when the cap goes up and a bunch of secondary contracts expire.
1667245623148.png

Severson finally doesn`t play huge role anymore. He is important as PK player, but not so important overall. I think it`s good for him to play limited role, but now we can make final decision.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
View attachment 601373

Severson finally doesn`t play huge role anymore. He is important as PK player, but not so important overall. I think it`s good for him to play limited role, but now we can make final decision.
I like Severson and would want him to stay with NJ but he is going to want a contract commensurate with him being at worst a number four defender, more likely he will want to be paid as a number 3 defender on a long term deal. NJ can't pay him like a top four defender long term.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I would think we need a RW or at least a right hand shot for a winger instead or a LW no?
For LD , I think Smith with Bahl Okhotiuk and Luke as depth options is good for now.
It’s not like we are true contenders and we would spend assets to get a LE when the ones we have are fine .I like to think that one of Luke / Bahl / Okhotiuk is good enough depth ?

Reactions: Guadana

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I like Severson and would want him to stay with NJ but he is going to want a contract commensurate with him being at worst a number four defender, more likely he will want to be paid as a number 3 defender on a long term deal. NJ can't pay him like a top four defender long term.
We have two good enough right defensemen. And third one in AHL is developing and waiting for opportunity.
I like Sevs too, I found the way to live with him, but now team is in the interesting situation.

And I know it isn`t fun to talk about draft when you can finally be happy the actual season, but Devils have huge roster on the right side of defense, have great prospect, another first rounder from 2023 draft have a chance to make great impact some day. For actual Devils roster it is an opportunity to draft second line talent and use him on third or even fourth line. This is a way how good team winning their cups. Very talented Simon Nemec will play third pair minutes in the next few years too.

And I believe Graves can bring something interesting if will continue to produce. They will leave us anyway. I admire perspective of the possible presence of Devils in the top 10, while having one of the best sets of prospects\players under 23 years old.

Reactions: Oneiro and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille