OT: Blue Bombers Thread 2.0 - Home Playoff Game, Nov 12, 330PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
my D complaints:
corners were hot garbage going into the season. nothing changed.
not a lot of pass pressure, not enough QB sacks. you saw it yesterday. the front line isn't my favourite and needs one stud. maybe Jeffcoat can be that guy next year?
also, not a lot of interesting pass rush schemes to keep them guessing. you knew what the bombers were sending.
and the tackling...my god...

Spot on. Those guys we had last year in the secondary; Roberts, Frederick... they were probably better than who we deployed this year. Not great, but better...

SIV

Mar 10, 2013
Biggest BS call was the fumble on the return that the Bombers recovered and was called back for what? I missed the call.
It wouldn’t matter if it was called a fumble, the bombers were called for no yards....

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I had an okay feeling about this game up until the point where Flanders got stuffed on that botched fake punt play. Whether it was a designed fake or an audible by Flanders (the latter is usually the case on those snaps that go to the up-back), there was absolutely no reason to attempt a fake at that point.

Richie Hall is likely done after this debacle, but somehow I don't think he called defensive plays that would've allowed for Zylstra and Bowman to be that wide open on their TDs. That's going to be a painful film session, especially that last Edmonton TD drive and the half-assed tackle attempts on Gable.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I had an okay feeling about this game up until the point where Flanders got stuffed on that botched fake punt play. Whether it was a designed fake or an audible by Flanders (the latter is usually the case on those snaps that go to the up-back), there was absolutely no reason to attempt a fake at that point.

Richie Hall is likely done after this debacle, but somehow I don't think he called defensive plays that would've allowed for Zylstra and Bowman to be that wide open on their TDs. That's going to be a painful film session, especially that last Edmonton TD drive and the half-assed tackle attempts on Gable.

O'Shea and Hall should be done!

I'd give La Po another shot as head coach and go from there!

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Westerman, Heath and Randle are FA's. They are guys i want back, but will they resign?

D needs an overhaul.

A DLine that features Westerman, Thomas, Corney, Jeffcoat, Nevis and Okpalaugo is not that bad.

The linebacking core needs a complete change, with only Leggett being a guy i bring back. Hopefully he fully heals from his achilles injury. Maybe you move Loffler in to play WIL and go with 5 imports in the secondary. Loffler seemed to be a step behind in the secondary all year.

The secondary needs a lot of new bodies. I would only want Randle and Heath back as starters. Walters has his work cut out to find quality DB's. They may need 4 or 5 of them.

Finally fire Richie Hall. He is about as incompetent as you can find as a DC.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This game was lost by the defence !!! - whoever # 22 is for the Bombers, he should be released. He was the guy that was beaten on the 2 deep plays to very "wide open" Edmonton receivers for deep plays. That was the ball game. After that they gave up tackling and Gable ran right thru the team.

Along with # 22 on defence, I believe Tyler Loffler as safety should have been there ? isn't that what a safety is for ?? As much as I like Loffler, and the hits he gives out, I question his positioning on those 2 long plays ???- where was he. Maybe this # 22 guy was replacing Moe Leggat--I don't know ??? Who is # 22 for the Bombers ??

I'd like to see the Bombers tell Loffler to put on 30 lbs of muscle, and play him at middle linebacker--"he'd be so dominant" and hit these running backs very hard. I think he'd be a big upgrade over Hurl. Hurl doesn't really do much- he should go.

My summary - the Bombers had a great year--so time for improving the defence, and it might start with replacing Richie Hall ??? They can't win leaving guys that wide open, as there's something "terribly wrong " here. Get rid of # 22.

Also they need a "good backup" quarteback, because if Nichols goes down, mid season--we are screwed with this Levefor guy--"just not good enough."

PS- Does anybody know who # 22 is ???

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Spot on. Those guys we had last year in the secondary; Roberts, Frederick... they were probably better than who we deployed this year. Not great, but better...
that's not saying much. the corners sucked last year as well. thought pass coverage was their weakness.
i had the same fear for this year and was right.
try to improve 1 of the corners.
try to bring in 1 stud on the pass rush.
bring in a new D coach. that should be a solid improvement

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
that's not saying much. the corners sucked last year as well. thought pass coverage was their weakness.
i had the same fear for this year and was right.
try to improve 1 of the corners.
try to bring in 1 stud on the pass rush.
bring in a new D coach. that should be a solid improvement

Indeed it’s not saying much. I’m saying that it if we looked for improvement we did not get it. I’ve seen a lot of sorry DBs in my days as a BB fan (I’m too young to remember them winning anything), but these guys that they have now sorta fall into the same tier. There’s garbage guys like Bucknor (good grief the name alone makes me shudder at his incompetence), Posey, Johnson (Bruce, not Jovon), Washington, Stewart, Carmichael, etc. Then there’s decent guys like Suber, Sears, Johnson (Jovon, not Bruce). The DBs we have now fit into one of those two tiers it seems.

Only competent DB in pretty much the past ten years (though my memory may be hazey) was Hefney, but he was an idiot off the field.

One thing i like to note. Jovon Johnson has been lauded on these boards as some kind of superman. Basically the Night Train Lane of the CFL. I see Randle drawing similar comparisons, and being named an elite corner. Where was he yesterday? He’s not the worst corner on the team (not even close) but I still saw this supposedly elite corner get picked on consistently.

There’s a handful of guys on the D that i like (Heath, Loffler, Jeffcoat, Wild, Randle, etc.) but I think the only player on D I would shed a tear over us losing would be Leggett, which really says something.

That being said, I like Leggett, but he’s only one piece. That secondary still got abused when he was in it.

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
O'Shea? you keep him. players like him. Bombers had a very solid record.
Hall? can his butt.
LaPo should stay. the O was quite good.

You absolutely keep O’Shea and LaPolice (provided he doesn’t get a HC gig). The Bombers at least are competitive right now. Take away that consistency and we may as well restart the rebuild. Again. Hall and anyone else associated with that defense (other than MOS) should be gone.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The funble on the pass, his knee was CLEARLY down before ball was out. Terrible call. Which is why O'Shea challenged an already reviewed play, because the Bombers saw how bad the call was.

That was not the decider, but it ended Bombers chances on a HORRENDOUS BRUTAL ****ING AWFUL call.
I watched it several times. His knee wasn't down. It was close but it wasn't down.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
You absolutely keep O’Shea and LaPolice (provided he doesn’t get a HC gig). The Bombers at least are competitive right now. Take away that consistency and we may as well restart the rebuild. Again. Hall and anyone else associated with that defense (other than MOS) should be gone.

After much reflection and beer, I've decided that cleaning house is a necessity. We saw in Ottawa that you can go from zero to Grey Cup in 3.0 seasons. We are at 27 years and counting.

There were obvious holes that needed to be filled after last year, and Walters didn't fill them. Gone. MOS may be loved, but his brain turns off at critical times and he costs us games. Gone. If Lapo was an elite OC, Harris would have gotten 1500 yards for both rushing and receiving. Gone.

For the time being, I'm just having a tawdry affair with the Riders. Keep this up, and we'll be getting married. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
O'Shea and Hall should be done!

I'd give La Po another shot as head coach and go from there!

I realize things are raw after the loss but there is no way O’Shea should be done yet. This organization was the laughing stock of the league when he was hired and it took a while but he has done a very solid job. I agree the org needs to go in a new direction defensively.

BellMTSPlace

Oct 5, 2017
BellMTSPlace_____Downtown
Great season. injuries and late season blunders cost us. But this team is set for the future. They will load up with FA's and new rookies.

People who get on Hall are absolutely right in doing so. But they lack understanding of DB coverage and do not understand that the lack of DB awareness is the norm in football these days especially when you can no longer have contact in practice. Missed tackles will be the norm in the future in all of football. NFL is seeing this and is why there are so many bad teams. There are very few DB's in football that can help teams due to lack of ball awareness and horrible foot work. It begins and ends at the grassroots level and is a serious issue in football.

In the CFL you need great QB play and usually the team with the hot QB and dominant WR's will win. The Bombers had injuries at both positions. Hence why we lost.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I realize things are raw after the loss but there is no way O’Shea should be done yet. This organization was the laughing stock of the league when he was hired and it took a while but he has done a very solid job. I agree the org needs to go in a new direction defensively.
Wait.....What.......we had a defense?! Lol
Ya, Oshea has some warts but has respect of players and has done a decent job, he deserves more time. I mentioned it earlier but didn't see anyone respond is Lapo frontrunner for Als job, if so our offense may slow down with new OC as that takes time. Hall is to blame for sure but our DB's stink and that falls on Walters. Import DBs are a plenty and he found no good ones, and he also left Hurl in there all season. Walters needs to shape up as well.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Great season. injuries and late season blunders cost us. But this team is set for the future. They will load up with FA's and new rookies.

People who get on Hall are absolutely right in doing so. But they lack understanding of DB coverage and do not understand that the lack of DB awareness is the norm in football these days especially when you can no longer have contact in practice. Missed tackles will be the norm in the future in all of football. NFL is seeing this and is why there are so many bad teams. There are very few DB's in football that can help teams due to lack of ball awareness and horrible foot work. It begins and ends at the grassroots level and is a serious issue in football.

In the CFL you need great QB play and usually the team with the hot QB and dominant WR's will win. The Bombers had injuries at both positions. Hence why we lost.

None of this explains receivers being left open with no one within 20 yards of them.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I just posted. Lack of DB awareness. There was never a time the Eskimos had WR's open on a 3 or 5 step drop. When Reilly bought time
thats when they got open. DB's are to be blamed.

I listed a whole bunch of pisspoor DBs above. When dudes like Hefney, Randle and Jovon Johnson are the best your organization has to show for in the secondary after a decade you have problems. Is this on the different coordinators we’ve had over the years? Have all these DBs really lacked awareness? I’m not disagreeing that that might be the case but if it is then we are a sorry football club when it comes to scouting DBs because American defensive backs should be dime a dozen

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
27 ****ing years...

Jesus Christ already, c'mon!

Not winning the Grey Cup for 27 years would almost be understandable or acceptable if the Bombers were playing in a league that had 20 or more teams.

But when you play in a league that has just 9 teams.... Hell.... you should be able to win the Grey Cup just by accident once a decade. :help:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Not winning the Grey Cup for 27 years would almost be understandable or acceptable if the Bombers were playing in a league that had 20 or more teams.

But when you play in a league that has just 9 teams.... Hell.... you should be able to win the Grey Cup just by accident once a decade. :help:

As I like to regularly remind people...

If you want to be a sports fan, you have to mentally prepare yourself for the worst case scenario. A championship drought that could outlive you.

The fans of the Cleveland Indians and Detroit Lions have the longest championship droughts

Reactions: Lars65
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad