Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Would there not be a cap recapture penalty in that case? If so, the cap savings would be minor at best.
Cap recapture only applies to contracts that were heavily front loaded. But that being said, there is no chance Wheeler is going to retire with 2 years left on his contract. Why would he walk away from that money.

Reactions: surixon

Dr Amazing204

Oct 5, 2017
That's unacceptable. If the Wheeler contract is not moved we can't extend PLD & Copp long term. He has a limited no move clause after this season. An incentive needs to be added to get him out of here. Send him to the Yotes and he can enjoy the weather with fellow over the hill buddies Ladd & Phil the Pill. What bugs me most is his Power Play GF/60 is the worst on the team but he gets more PP TOI than some of our most productive PP players
The Jets will figure something out.

Reactions: thai jet

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I feel like 3rd line minutes and PP2 role would appease 90% of the HF board.

And of course glue him to the bench when its 4-4 or even 3-3.

Put him out there when up by 2 goals in an empty net siituation so he has the opportunity to score.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I'm not worried about Scheifele. Its true he's not scoring and looks disengaged at times, but every game he makes a play or two that shows he's an elite player. He can and most likely will come back.

In contrast, I haven't seen Wheeler make an elite play all year even though he's working hard and in the right places. This worries me that maybe he doesn't have it in him anymore. That said, Wheeler was never a highlight real type star. I'm still hoping for the best.

Nothing is going to happen with Wheeler or Copp until the off-season. What the Jets need to do should be clear by then. Until then, we should all relax and enjoy the ride.

Reactions: sipowicz

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Conditioning stint on the Moose? That may light a fire under him

Not gonna happen for a variety of reasons.

I like how there are two ideas about Wheeler's apparent struggles. Sometimes he's just too old, and sometimes, as in the above post, he's just unmotivated and needs a fire lit under him.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
That's unacceptable. If the Wheeler contract is not moved we can't extend PLD & Copp long term. He has a limited no move clause after this season. An incentive needs to be added to get him out of here. Send him to the Yotes and he can enjoy the weather with fellow over the hill buddies Ladd & Phil the Pill. What bugs me most is his Power Play GF/60 is the worst on the team but he gets more PP TOI than some of our most productive PP players
To be fair, Wheeler is 9th in PP points/60 - noticeably, Ehlers (who's tied with Wheeler for last with 0 PP goals as well) is below him. So are you proposing we take Ehlers off the PP as well? Both of them have a mere 1 secondary assist on the PP this year.

They definitely need to mix something up. But GF/60 isn't the reason... Because KFC is 3rd last at 6.28 (vs Cappy's 5.93), and Pionk is 2nd last with 6.12 - both worse than Nash...

The argument could be made that Wheeler's suppressing the others' numbers (Ehlers often contributes to others' PP points with his entries and 'tertiary assists', so it explains his higher GF/60 despite having 1 PP assist), but we'd need a WOWY chart thingy? (I'm no stats guru).

I think the entire PP needs re-jigging, and IIRC Vesalainen was elite on the PP in Jr's (don't recall his Moose performance). He can't be worse than Nash...

Too bad Perfetti's too young.

Pandemonia

Aug 30, 2020
I think the entire PP needs re-jigging, and IIRC Vesalainen was elite on the PP in Jr's (don't recall his Moose performance). He can't be worse than Nash...

Too bad Perfetti's too young.

Unless prevent by law or regulation, never deny someone a chance to succeed based on your perceptions of their age.

Reactions: FonRiesen

None

Feb 22, 2012
That said, Wheeler was never a highlight real type star.

I feel like you might be misremembering, the guy was basically a highlight reel off the rush before 17-18. He's gotten so far removed from using his skating as a strength that it might be that it's just not in his toolbox anymore though.

Reactions: KB1971

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Not gonna happen for a variety of reasons.

I like how there are two ideas about Wheeler's apparent struggles. Sometimes he's just too old, and sometimes, as in the above post, he's just unmotivated and needs a fire lit under him.

I actually think it’s a little of both. I think Covid may have knocked him down a bit more than people realize (understandable), and maybe, has become a bit too lackadaisy with his game. It happens. Nothing wrong with taking some extra time to recoup and get back into game shape

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
I feel like you might be misremembering, the guy was basically a highlight reel off the rush before 17-18. He's gotten so far removed from using his skating as a strength that it might be that it's just not in his toolbox anymore though.
I didn't follow the Jets that closely until 2018. By that time, Wheeler was one of many good players and not the flashiest of them.

I went and found a highlight reel to bring myself up to speed:

It looks to me like Wheeler's strength came from creating time and space while taking the puck to the net. Likely a byproduct of speed and size causing the defenders to defer. I haven't seen him make a play like that this season. He tries, but defenders pressure him and he coughs up the puck.

Reactions: ocdaddy

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Merged “what to do with thread”, no point having separate threads to discuss the same player

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
The Jets will figure something out.

I sure hope you are right. PLD in my view is arguably our best player along with Helle. Copp is not too far behind either. It's noticeable that they do most of the media availabilities. Both come across as very sincere and well spoken. PLD's politeness is off the charts. Our captain seems to have gone into hiding with his $10 million salary. They will be key in our winning a cup the next few years. Wheeler will not. Blake will get better as the season goes on as he never seems to be prepared for the start of the season.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I didn't follow the Jets that closely until 2018. By that time, Wheeler was one of many good players and not the flashiest of them.

I went and found a highlight reel to bring myself up to speed:

It looks to me like Wheeler's strength came from creating time and space while taking the puck to the net. Likely a byproduct of speed and size causing the defenders to defer. I haven't seen him make a play like that this season. He tries, but defenders pressure him and he coughs up the puck.

10:15 in the Leafs game if the embed doesn't start at the right time.

Here's a few more highlights that I think showcases how effective he was when he was entering the zone in stride. It feels like more often than not his current role in transition is just getting to the opposing blue line and stopping.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Wheeler current goal-less streak : 13 games

Wheeler longest goal-less streak: 18 games ( 2011 )

In 2011 Wheeler started the season 18GP - 0G 7A, but finished 80GP - 17G 47A. So he's had this bad start before... Will 2021 be a repeat of 2011?

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Wheeler current goal-less streak : 13 games

Wheeler longest goal-less streak: 18 games ( 2011 )

In 2011 Wheeler started the season 18GP - 0G 7A, but finished 80GP - 17G 47A. So he's had this bad start before... Will 2021 be a repeat of 2011?
A 25 year-old non-COVID Wheeler may have been able to have bounced back so impressively. A 35 year-old COVID-ravaged Wheeler... I doubt it.

I'm hoping that he shakes off this COVID fog soon (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying his struggles are COVID-related, with the hope that it will eventually get better. However, if I'm right, we also know that about 1 in 3 COVID sufferers never totally get over their symptoms.)

The bottom line is that he's really dragging down whatever line he's been on as he tries to recover. Perhaps a fourth line role makes the most sense... until he's 100 per cent.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The Jets need to figure out a way to hold on to PLD. Wheeler's contract may be standing in the way. Wheeler may be worth 1/2 of what he is being paid, probably less. Buy out will cost us, but may be worth it. Might enable us to re-sign Copp too.

Reactions: GNP

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
What it boils down to for me, is it doesn’t matter if Wheeler is sick, injured, slow starter or simply aging, you can’t sacrifice team points by trying to get one player going.

I’m going to go with the same thing with Schief. If he is having difficulties for any reason, play him less in an easier role until he’s ready.

As people used to say when Laine was here, this is the Winnipeg Jets, not the Winnipeg Wheelers.

I’ll add the usual disclaimer that I admire wheeler tremendously, but I’m a Jets fan first.

Last edited:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
His speed is diminished, his shot scares no one, and he handles the puck like a grenade near the boards, his game is not what it used to be but he can still help this team, a good start would be to cut his toi by at least 5 minutes a game and limit his pp time. Will this happen? not likely.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
A 25 year-old non-COVID Wheeler may have been able to have bounced back so impressively. A 35 year-old COVID-ravaged Wheeler... I doubt it.

I'm hoping that he shakes off this COVID fog soon (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by saying his struggles are COVID-related, with the hope that it will eventually get better. However, if I'm right, we also know that about 1 in 3 COVID sufferers never totally get over their symptoms.)

The bottom line is that he's really dragging down whatever line he's been on as he tries to recover. Perhaps a fourth line role makes the most sense... until he's 100 per cent.
I don't see this as giving him the benefit of the doubt; it reads more like baseless speculation about his long term health. I'd give it a rest.

Wheeler will either come around, as he has in previous seasons, or he won't. If he realizes he has aged out, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he reaches an agreement with the club to retire or be bought out. He already holds a number of club records and if he stays healthy through the season and a playoff run will eclipse Bryan Little as the all time leader in games played.

His future is with the Jets in some capacity, so he is not going to be traded, period. Money is more important to Wheeler than it was to Buff, but, at this stage, legacy is the most important factor for both Wheeler and TNSE. (It wasn't for Buff, in case you were wondering.)

All this is moot until seasons end, however. Until then, I'd suggest a hold on rumours about his health and unrealistic hopes that he will be traded.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don't see this as giving him the benefit of the doubt; it reads more like baseless speculation about his long term health. I'd give it a rest.

Wheeler will either come around, as he has in previous seasons, or he won't. If he realizes he has aged out, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he reaches an agreement with the club to retire or be bought out. He already holds a number of club records and if he stays healthy through the season and a playoff run will eclipse Bryan Little as the all time leader in games played.

His future is with the Jets in some capacity, so he is not going to be traded, period. Money is more important to Wheeler than it was to Buff, but, at this stage, legacy is the most important factor for both Wheeler and TNSE. (It wasn't for Buff, in case you were wondering.)

All this is moot until seasons end, however. Until then, I'd suggest a hold on rumours about his health and unrealistic hopes that he will be traded.
Bottom line is that he is dragging down every line he's playing on. This is not just a slow start. He has had slow starts "statistically" before, but he's still be effective. Right now, I don't know what role he can help us with. He's not helping the power play, he's too slow and unaggressive to even be a tone-setter on the fourth line. Something is clearly bothering him, and if it's age then it's not like he's going to "come around".

Last year he looked just as bad for a stretch, then he came on and played great. We found out later he was playing through cracked ribs. I think we have enough depth to put someone else in.

And it doesn't matter if you won't be surprised if he "reaches an agreement with the club to retire or be bought out." You may not have noticed, but when Maurice and the organization have a favorite they'll play them. Maurice has essentially said as much in regards to Wheeler. I don't see him going anywhere this season for sure. I would bet that as long as he can put on his skates he will be playing until his contract is up.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So to summarize..… his deal at the time was a good one, he’s a great guy and a good leader and he works hard. I don’t think that’s anything that most of us dispute.

I’m only interested in how he (or anyone!) can contribute best to make the team better, whether this is a slump or something more serious like a sign of aging or recuperating from illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad