Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Bingo! He was up too on the OT PP.
Amazing how some of his fans go to great lengths to validate how great he is.
The excuses are running out.
I think you’re confusing excuses and just pointing out to the Anti Wheeler crowd that they’re just making stuff up because they want to crap on him.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
And I agree that was dumb, but that was the first time in 11 years it happened so I wouldn’t bet the house on it being a regular thing.

First time in 11 years he’s been the PP QB? Don’t think that is accurate. He does get set up down low more often in the past two seasons but he handles the puck constantly when he’s on the PP yes down low but also rotating up to half wall. His ability to score a goal himself is no longer enough of a threat to justify this and just bogs down puck movement based on how he is defended.

It’s not like he’s net front like Holmstrom or something where he barely touches the puck.

I think he’s still a useful player but he’s often a problem on the PP when with the roster we have it should be humming. Our shooters struggle for space when he’s out there 5 on 4. That’s all.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I agree, imo he’s really never had much of a shot. The drop off is a bit exaggerated to me, he’s been a bit unlucky and just isn’t finding the corners. Scheifele has one more goal than him, where’s the hue and cry?

Never a heavy shot but he could score. Also one of the best at driving the net when he’s confident. Remember started Jets career with a long goal-less streak then finally started taking the puck off the wing to the net and scored in bunches. A guy teams used to defend and respect because if he had space he’d take it. He became more of a setup man after the first playoff year in his mentality when he played more and more with Schiefele.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The fact that Wheeler wasn’t on the ice last night with the goalie pulled at the end of the game says he was either hurt or Maurice is finally seeing what is obvious to most. He is no longer the player he was, he is no longer a top 6 guy, and you can’t put him out there with the game on the line.

Its up to Maurice to find an effective role for him going forward.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
I would like Maurice to go back to Svetch with PLD and KC. The scoring has dried up from that line since the switch. Not Wheelers fault, he just doesn’t click as well.

I think it definitely is wheelers fault here. It’s pretty clear that Wheeler has been on a rapid decline over the last two seasons. No reason to believe he’s going to snap out of it because, let’s face it… he’s done.

only two more seasons of Wheeler getting paid 8.25 million! That contract was cringey right from the get go, and now we can all see why. The hands, legs, and the mind are keeping up with the play. He misses on everything, even when he’s trying to check he misses hits and flies into the boards, checking himself. He’s looking really lost and i don’t see him returning to top 6 form, ever.

I love Wheeler but I hate the contract

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Acknowledge his great past performance, durability and dedication. and hope his own ego doesn't get in the way of him changing his game to defense first and just supporting his coach and team mates as he slides down the lineup.

But for God's sake don't pretend what he is doing now is playing "well".

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I would like Maurice to go back to Svetch with PLD and KC. The scoring has dried up from that line since the switch. Not Wheelers fault, he just doesn’t click as well.

I think that's because Svetch does a lot of the dirty work on that line. I agree, if Wheels isn't scoring, put him out with Lowry on a checking line. Wheeler still puts in the effort he just seems a step behind now. You would expect a few more PP points, but I think the Jets are missing Kompon for PP strategies.

I won't shit on him. He stuck around when the team was the shits, and raised the game of a lot of our current stars.
Being the leader he gets to deal with all the pressure and media, while other players can focus on hockey.
I think it's a tough transition from being the best or among the best to being a little too slow for the pace. Smarts can make up some of that, but the older you get the more you have to learn to play within your means, and I think both coach and player are recognizing this.

Dr Amazing204

Oct 5, 2017
Can't really do anything with Wheeler's contract just got to let it play out no point buying him out or trading him no team will take on the contract with his age. plus all the work he put in with the Jets i think he should stay once his contract is done then Blake and Jets will figure it out

Last edited:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
He deserves to retire a Jet. Hopefully he pulls a buff and it's not fun anymore but he deserves to retire a Jet. It's up to coaches now to understand he's not a top 6 guy anymore.

Wheeler deserves to retire a Jet and his number should be retired not long after. Dude has done so much good off the ice for Winnipeg and just the city in general. He's a proud Jet and proud to captain our small market club. You know how many groceries this guy has bought for ppl who just happen to be In the same store as him... it's thousands. How much charity work he does. Blake Wheeler deserves to retire a Jet and Winnipegers should feel proud that our captain is a down to earth ( way more in the last 5 years) guy who busts his ass every night. He's just aging out and perhaps the covid situation with him and Mark earlier explain their play a little bit.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

PLD and Connor are better with the Russian than with the Wheezer!

Wheezer looks to be fighting the puck and is a step behind everyone on every shift!

Hey guys, it’s not an off year for the Wheezer, the slide over the downside of the hill began a few years ago, trouble is he is taking Schnifflee with him!

He needs to be on the 3rd line with 15 minutes a game, guy is no longer top 6!

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
PLD and Connor are better with the Russian than with the Wheezer!

Wheezer looks to be fighting the puck and is a step behind everyone on every shift!

Hey guys, it’s not an off year for the Wheezer, the slide over the downside of the hill began a few years ago, trouble is he is taking Schnifflee with him!

He needs to be on the 3rd line with 15 minutes a game, guy is no longer top 6!
The most logical thing I’ve heard today.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Would there not be a cap recapture penalty in that case? If so, the cap savings would be minor at best.
Yeah I think anything the org could do to 'get out' of the contract outside of heaven forbid ltir would not really benefit us.

I still think if we win a cup Wheeler is going to play a significant role in it. He's also earned the right to be a part of this core that's trying to accomplish that.

Reactions: thereturn and ps241

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think it definitely is wheelers fault here. It’s pretty clear that Wheeler has been on a rapid decline over the last two seasons. No reason to believe he’s going to snap out of it because, let’s face it… he’s done.

only two more seasons of Wheeler getting paid 8.25 million! That contract was cringey right from the get go, and now we can all see why. The hands, legs, and the mind are keeping up with the play. He misses on everything, even when he’s trying to check he misses hits and flies into the boards, checking himself. He’s looking really lost and i don’t see him returning to top 6 form, ever.

I love Wheeler but I hate the contract
He looks pretty bad out there, but but this isn't the first time, so I wouldn't bury the body before he stops breathing.

People wanted to do the same thing at the start of last season, but he finished strongly (>1PPG final 10 games, 0.92 PPG for the season) and just as productively--point-wise-- as the season before.

Hi first season as a Jet he started the season with an 18 game goal-less streak, with only 7 assists during that stretch. He has had multiple 10+ goal-less streaks since.

This may well be the beginning of the end for an aging Wheeler, but reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated multiple times in the past.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Like others have opined, it is a hazard of trying to keep star players thru their prime. Longer term contracts where the last few years are "reward" years.

Only way to get around that is to overpay on shorter terms ala Toronto (Matthews)

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
Can't really do anything with Wheeler's contract just got to let it play out no point buying him out or trading him no team will take on the contract with his age. plus all the work he put in with the Jets i think he should stay once his contract is done then Blake and Jets will figure it out

That's unacceptable. If the Wheeler contract is not moved we can't extend PLD & Copp long term. He has a limited no move clause after this season. An incentive needs to be added to get him out of here. Send him to the Yotes and he can enjoy the weather with fellow over the hill buddies Ladd & Phil the Pill. What bugs me most is his Power Play GF/60 is the worst on the team but he gets more PP TOI than some of our most productive PP players

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad