Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
So we have established we know different people.
Do you honestly think he’s bad at hockey?
Stats say otherwise.
Personally it depends on circumstances.
I hate his political opinions but he loves people a lot.
Didn’t say he was “bad at hockey”. He is horrible defensively and has a superiority complex. He thinks he’s much better than he is and his contract is a gross overpay and will only get worse.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This whole outburst about Wheeler - was triggered by a fairly straight forward question by Murat... Mo has really escalated this - not the media...
Yes, Murat walked into that one. I did think it was a bit of a pointed question from Murat, and was perhaps part of the zeitgeist surrounding the media and Wheeler and Maurice these days. I don't ever recall a journalist asking a pointed question about specific plays like Morrissey missing a D assignment, or Connor muffing multiple zone clears on a shift, or Ehlers coughing up the puck at the opponent's blue line, or even Beaulieu somehow managing to lose a lumbering Tkachuk behind him for a breakaway for a consequential 3rd period goal.

Wheeler's not a shrinking violet, and he can handle the scrutiny. But I'm surprised at how many seem so shocked and offended that Maurice has come to his team captain's defense after all of the negative press about him over the past couple of years.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
How can anyone have their heart in the right place and run a kid off the team? I also know “first hand” that’s he’s an arrogant a*#hole.

Maybe Laine was the problem tho. Ever think of that? The kid with all the hype? Wheels worked his ass off.. did Laine or did he expect to be given those minutes?

2 sides to every story.

Wheeler has done a lot more good than bad for this team. Honestly.. I may have lost some respect for Laine if he ran to the Finnish enquirer.

I respect Wheeler for keeping it in house.... that's what pros do.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Didn’t say he was “bad at hockey”. He is horrible defensively and has a superiority complex. He thinks he’s much better than he is and his contract is a gross overpay and will only get worse.
Can you support your assertion that Wheeler is "horrible defensively" with any data?

Here's his adjusted shot metrics profile from his last full season. It paints a picture of a player that effectively suppressed shot attempts and expected goals against, while being a very positive contributor to offense on the PP.

upload_2021-2-3_19-44-41.png

Reactions: Aries56

jetsnblues

Jan 23, 2021
so you are due a raise at work and figure it will be $3 an hour but your boss gives you $12 are you going to say no? hmmmmmm didn't think so...not his fault that is what the team felt he was worth and yes he is not the wheels from 3 years ago, yes he is getting older, yes he will probably slow more but hell that happens to us all and yes i agree we aren't getting 8 mil+ a year but the owners are willing to sign the deal

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
I don't know this first hand, but I've heard the same thing.
I’ve outright witnessed him turning down autographs for kids rudely. Not because of a line up but because he was inconvenienced in his personal time.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I don't expect the media to treat Wheeler with kid gloves--in fact, it is their job to probe and create a bit of interest, ie, controversy. But I foolishly expect fans of the team to give the guy some credit for his outstanding commitment to the team and city. There is nothing he would not do for this team, including playing fewer minutes. Just looked at this interview and thought it was great.

My takeaways:
-There is no greater critic of Wheeler than Wheeler himself. He is a smart man and knows exactly how he playing.
-The coach determines playing time and he will adapt to changing circumstances, but hopes in the future he merits more than he got last night
-He accepts that he is under a microscope but thinks the bigger story is the play and cohesiveness of his teammates

Wheeler's slow start is entirely typical of him, but realistically, he has slowed down, so Maurice needed to modify his 5v5 usage. He has done that, so now maybe people could show just a modicum of class about it.
If you don't know how, watch the video.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I’ve outright witnessed him turning down autographs for kids rudely. Not because of a line up but because he was inconvenienced in his personal time.
Weird because I’ve outright witnessed him signing autographs for kids while he was out and about.

Reactions: Pongs21

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Weird because I’ve outright witnessed him signing autographs for kids while he was out and about.
As he should. When you make your living from a fan base then you owe them. In my opinion there is NEVER a reason to deny a kid an autograph.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup, I've know a number of people who've encountered Wheeler and his wife in different settings (PR, in the community, charitable stuff). They are positive members of the community, but sometimes Winnipeggers have some sort of weird suspicion of high profile people that embrace the community.

jetsnblues

Jan 23, 2021
Maybe Laine was the problem tho. Ever think of that? The kid with all the hype? Wheels worked his ass off.. did Laine or did he expect to be given those minutes?

2 sides to every story.

Wheeler has done a lot more good than bad for this team. Honestly.. I may have lost some respect for Laine if he ran to the Finnish enquirer.

I respect Wheeler for keeping it in house.... that's what pros do.
not being from the 'peg and not getting all the info i never heard this "stuff" with wheeler/laine i just remember when his rookie contract was up and he was working on a new deal his attitude when interviewed on tv was basically " i don't care if i play for the jets or not i know i am great and every team will want me", that to me was a slap in the face to the city and the fans that adored him, i admired his fresh honesty most times but in that instance as a young, developing player i felt that was not the way to look at it and i heard him make similar comments more than once

Reactions: Evil Little

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Can one of the fancy stat guys dispel the myth (or maybe confirm) that Wheeler is a 'slow starter'...

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Wheeler’s been a warrior for the Jets, never misses games and has probably played hurt for the Jets a lot, don”t like some of the comments he’s made over the years parroting Maurice but Wheeler is a true pro!

Downside, whether injured or not he has lost a step and for a guy whose speed is a huge part of his game it’s now kinda sad to see especially when he doesn’t seem able to adjust his game. He’s still okay on the PP, 5v5 play is now concerning, shouldn’t be getting the minutes he still gets!

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Him being part of the reason why laine wanted out is why it’s being blown up more then just struggling.
Forcing the Jets to leverage Laine into PLD may end up being the best thing Blake Wheeler has ever done for the team, especially if we win a cup as a result.

For the record, I think the captain expecting full effort and dedication from his teammates is right in the wheelhouse of a good leader, especially when he gives all he's got every night.

jetsnblues

Jan 23, 2021
As he should. When you make your living from a fan base then you owe them. In my opinion there is NEVER a reason to deny a kid an autograph.
no you do not "owe" them family time is family time he is paid to play hockey, i agree if they are at the rink for practice or something yes then sign IF asked with respect but they don't "owe" you an autograph so that person can go on ebay and sell it like a lot do, from your attitude towards him i assumed it was something personal you had against him

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
no you do not "owe" them family time is family time he is paid to play hockey, i agree if they are at the rink for practice or something yes then sign IF asked with respect but they don't "owe" you an autograph so that person can go on ebay and sell it like a lot do, from your attitude towards him i assumed it was something personal you had against him
Nothing personal as it wasn’t anyone I knew. Just didn’t appreciate the attitude he displayed and the arrogance.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Forcing the Jets to leverage Laine into PLD may end up being the best thing Blake Wheeler has ever done for the team, especially if we win a cup as a result.

For the record, I think the captain expecting full effort and dedication from his teammates is right in the wheelhouse of a good leader, especially when he gives all he's got every night.

And laine might go on to score 500 goals and be captian win cups while wheelers contract and poor defensive play hurts us for the next four years

I’m not going to say who won the trade but I do think that sheif wheeler and Maurice all run the team together and that’s a problem

Reactions: TEH FIRST NOEL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad