Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wheeler was the first topic on Hockey Central this evening. Friedman made it clear that he thought a big part of Maurice's defense of Wheeler was tied into the crap he took for the Laine trade in the Winnipeg media.

Friedman, Burke and Winnipegger Jennifer Botterill all thought Maurice was right to defend Wheeler, and they all spoke glowingly of Wheeler's career and his contribution to the Jets and the Winnipeg community. Makes Friesen and some of the other yellow journalists in the Winnipeg sports media look like petty amateurs.

brendan smith

May 14, 2018
Wheeler was the first topic on Hockey Central this evening. Friedman made it clear that he thought a big part of Maurice's defense of Wheeler was tied into the crap he took for the Laine trade in the Winnipeg media.

Friedman, Burke and Winnipegger Jennifer Botterill all thought Maurice was right to defend Wheeler, and they all spoke glowingly of Wheeler's career and his contribution to the Jets and the Winnipeg community. Makes Friesen and some of the other yellow journalists in the Winnipeg sports media look like petty amateurs.
Can we trade Friesen? Or can Seattle pick him up like Vegas did Gary Lawless? :)

Reactions: Jet

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

Is this the same Sportnet crew that highlighted Ehler's defensive deficiencies and talked about how that was becoming an issue haha?

Reactions: HHel and Gm0ney

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I think he deserves a bit. As well as sheif and Maurice and laine himself.

I pointed out wheeler standing still on a back check in the first two games and it happened again last night. If this is going to be Wheelers team and players are traded because of him his play after the trade should be scrutinized

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

This is a what have you done for me lately league. I'd prefer not paying Wheeler $8.25 million per season for his past performance. If he wants to be captain and make that type of money, he needs to be held accountable.

We should applaud Friesen. Otherwise we'll just get fanboy softball questions like those from Ken Wiebe. As a fan is that what you want?

As much of a troll Friesen can be at times, I'm with him on this one for asking the tough and necessary questions.

Reactions: DRW204 and Ggg99

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Is this the same Sportnet crew that highlighted Ehler's defensive deficiencies and talked about how that was becoming an issue haha?
I dunno, but they made the Winnipeg media look like rubes, especially displaying the Sun's front page nonsense after the Laine trade.

Reactions: jokesondee

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This is a what have you done for me lately league. I'd prefer not paying Wheeler $8.25 million per season for his past performance.

We should applaud Friesen. Otherwise we'll just get fanboy softball questions like those from Ken Wiebe. As a fan is that what you want?

As much of a troll Friesen can be at times, I'm with him on this one for asking the tough and necessary questions.
Friesen is a hack. It takes no talent or insight to ask the so-called "tough"questions.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'd package McIntyre and Friesen with a pick and retain some salary.

Winnipeg has some really good pros such as Murat and Wiebe. Friesen and McIntyre follow in the footsteps of Wiecek as know-nothing muckrakers.

Murat without question is a Pro...

And has graduated to a much higher profile...

Friesen & Wicek for sure are staying where they are... low level pond skimmers... they deserve it...

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

You go to the extremes on most matters to defend your beliefs.
Is it possible the truth might lie in the middle?
Any journalist that doesn’t write to your liking you call yellow.
Are you , they or I always correct?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Friesen is a hack. It takes no talent or insight to ask the so-called "tough"questions.
I never said he's talented. But he's got courage to ask those tough questions, something most (not all) of the other media don't have with their typical softball questions.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
This is a Win/Win situation.

I dont mind the media “grilling” Wheeler because I know this will light a fire under his (you know what).

Unlike other players (not mentioning names).... History has shown us that “Angry Blake” is a “Productive Blake”!

He’ll respond accordingly, the team will be better for it, and we’ll all have to eat our own words.

Wont be long before this drama all blows over :)
Hope you’re right but doubt it.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Murat without question is a Pro...

And has graduated to a much higher profile...

Friesen & Wicek for sure are staying where they are... low level pond skimmers... they deserve it...
Agreed Murat is a pro and I think Maurice has a lot of respect for him.

Reactions: DRW204

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You go to the extremes on most matters to defend your beliefs.
Is it possible the truth might lie in the middle?
Any journalist that doesn’t write to your liking you call yellow.
Are you , they or I always correct?
I can call it down the middle, but I don't have uncertain opinions about journalists like that. I realize that some like that sort of media coverage as entertainment, but I think it cheapens discourse to draw attention, and our society doesn't need more of that.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Holding others and oneself accountable is important in any facet of life and pro sports is not immune to that.

To this point, Wheeler/Scheifele/Connor’s play has been suspect for about 2 years and there has been little evidence of Maurice rolling back their minutes or criticizing them like he has other players. With this lack of accountability has come some pretty lacklustre results. You can cite injuries/departures but this has little, if anything, to do with compete and actually showing up for games ready to play. Everyone outside of those three have seen ice reductions, gotten scratched, etc.

So at this juncture, I think Maurice is feeling pressure because this should be a roster that is performing better than it currently is. Yes, we’re 6-3-1 but outside of the Ottawa win that was quite lob sided, we’re winning unsustainably and metrics would indicate positive results won’t be super common.

So back to my original thought, Maurice pushing back on he and Wheeler being held accountable is ridiculous.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I never said he's talented. But he's got courage to ask those tough questions, something most (not all) of the other media don't have with their typical softball questions.
You and I have a different definition of courage, I guess.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Wheeler is a great player.
A very charitable person ( I know first hand )
Getting to his play , I have no clue whether it’s injury or age.
I only suspect it’s a weird dynamic which none of us can define.
I do believe his heart is always in the right place.
How can anyone have their heart in the right place and run a kid off the team? I also know “first hand” that’s he’s an arrogant a*#hole.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I can call it down the middle, but I don't have uncertain opinions about journalists like that. I realize that some like that sort of media coverage as entertainment, but I think it cheapens discourse to draw attention, and our society doesn't need more of that.

When you say you can call it down the middle sets alarm bells for me.
Trust me I feel the same way about my opinions .
It’s great to get dissenting opinions.
It creates uncomfortable discussion, which is how we grow

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
How can anyone have their heart in the right place and run a kid off the team? I also know “first hand” that’s he’s an arrogant a*#hole.
So we have established we know different people.
Do you honestly think he’s bad at hockey?
Stats say otherwise.
Personally it depends on circumstances.
I hate his political opinions but he loves people a lot.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I don't know this first hand, but I've heard the same thing.

Reactions: JetsNut

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
That or the other media are big wussies. Remember Chipman had Wicek's credentials removed after he was critical of the Jets.

The media isn’t allowed to ask hard questions here. It’s all cliches and crap answers anyway.

I wouldn’t give up the way I feed my family either. I wouldn’t exactly call them wussies for this

Reactions: TEH FIRST NOEL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad