Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
To lead the room on and off the ice. Not play analyst for a guy looking for a quote.
Yeah, he gets paid millions to play a game and all that comes with it. talking to the media IS HIS JOB. He is also captain who represents the players on his team, OFTEN TO THE MEDIA, hence him talking to them after the game. Why such an apologist for everything regarding the Jets?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Here's the thing though. It's not his job as a player or captain to explain the ins and outs of the game to a reporter moments after his season ended. How is explaining how the game went to a reporter who obviously watched the game, using the media to his advantage? So the reporter can quote him, and posters on boards like this one and several others can say he's just full of excuses?
It's 100% a captains job to talk to the media.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Here's the thing though. It's not his job as a player or captain to explain the ins and outs of the game to a reporter moments after his season ended. How is explaining how the game went to a reporter who obviously watched the game, using the media to his advantage? So the reporter can quote him, and posters on boards like this one and several others can say he's just full of excuses?

As a Captain, and a leader of the team, I certainly think it's his job. He get's paid a lot of money to put forth a good image for the team, and act like a mature responsible adult. I don't think he's doing that.

If he doesn't like it--turn over the C -to someone that can handle public scrutiny.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Wheeler get rattled.
He doesnt know how to respond to adversities.
He is cool when all is well. Just like everybody else. Thats not how captain response.
Specially to someone doing his work.

Also why would he say he would walk through a wall for the coach.

Why not for all the players in the room.
Thats self serving knowing how Maurice dont really make him accountable.

Also from before.
He looked like the correct captain at the time only because he was balls to the walls player.
He was vocal, opposite of Ladd.
Did Wheeler lead or wear a letter before besides the Jets?( not sure).

Schiefele would have been as good as choice as Wheeler. Probably better as he is in between. Not a vet not one of the young gun slingers. Maybe TSN thought too young? Well many captains start young.

Wheeler wears the C
He needs to represent the Jets with class even during low times. Actually you se a persons maturity when they face adversities. The guy is 32 yrs old?

And also he cannt be a coaches player. He so vocal about it , if other players have issues with the coach. Heck for surw they wont approach him. He needs to balance.

Nothing againts him.

But
TNS needs to realy take a hard look this next few weeks if they go still with Maurice/Wheelwr or turn the page and go differwnt route.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Wheeler get rattled.
He doesnt know how to respond to adversities.
He is cool when all is well. Just like everybody else. Thats not how captain response.
Specially to someone doing his work.

Also why would he say he would walk through a wall for the coach.

Why not for all the players in the room.
Thats self serving knowing how Maurice dont really make him accountable.
This is a very good point. If there is any dissent regarding the coach within the team, he just stuck out his finger to those guys. We don't know if there is, but it still was a very weird thing to say.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
A captain and supposed leader needs to be better with the media...bottom line.

Wheeler has some self-improvement to do still. Not sure he is personally aware of that though.

I think your exactly right --and that's the problem. He's not personally aware of it, because he doesn't think he has a problem. Most poster's think otherwise.

He needs to take a "self improvement" or "anger management" course. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: sipowicz

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Just to let everybody know.
I use my cellphone always for hfboard. Not pc.
My thumb is bigger than the letters in my keypad and sometimes i see i press a w instead of an e. But im to lazy to back track because my post is so long :laugh:

So im sorry ......

Reactions: Howard Chuck

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I would defend any player that told a media person to **** off. It doesn't matter if I'm a big Wheeler fan. **** happens. Swearing happens. You could see he was visibly upset. Friesen did not word it the best either.

Can't disagree more, Wheeler finally pitched a hard ball question and he whiffs at it with vulgarity, guy is either too soft mentally or just too arrogant to be a leader! Wheeler should have offered some class and humility and taken ownership for the team choking in a crucial game!

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Can't disagree more, Wheeler finally pitched a hard ball question and he whiffs at it with vulgarity, guy is either too soft mentally or just too arrogant to be a leader! Wheeler should have offered some class and humility and taken ownership for the team choking in a crucial game!

Not sure where that gets us.

"We suck, I suck, our coaches suck, we should scorch earth, trade us all and rebuild. It's the only option."

I'm not sure what people expect these guys to say. They know they haven't played well all season. They know that they haven't found their game. They get badgered all season with the same questions over and over again. Questions they obviously don't have the answers too or there would be a change.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
This is a very good point. If there is any dissent regarding the coach within the team, he just stuck out his finger to those guys. We don't know if there is, but it still was a very weird thing to say.
Just listening to the interviews. Wheeler also said Maurice is the coach he wants to play for so any coaching change would have to be weighed against how Wheeler would react/adapt and perhaps would require a change of scenery for both of them for any coaching change to work.

I really doubt Jets management will do anything and we're going to have the Maurice/Wheeler duo running this team for at least two more years.

I'm not opposed to that and not saying we can't win with them. I think the team will still be too good to fail with almost anyone coaching and I expect next year will be better especially in the playoffs.

But still can't help but think what could have been in the playoffs this year with Torts or Trotz at the helm. And I get they aren't available but just say'in.

Reactions: Board Bard and GNP

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Wheelers always had a little bit of a stench of arrogance about him, no surprise!

It's magnified when he's the guy who has to come out and placate the yokels every game. And magnified again when most of those games are stinkers. And magnified again when a yokel notices.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just listening to the interviews. Wheeler also said Maurice is the coach he wants to play for so any coaching change would have to be weighed against how Wheeler would react/adapt and perhaps would require a change of scenery for both of them for any coaching change to work.

I really doubt Jets management will do anything and we're going to have the Maurice/Wheeler duo running this team for at least two more years.

I'm not opposed to that and not saying we can't win with them. I think the team will still be too good to fail with almost anyone coaching and I expect next year will be better especially in the playoffs.

But still can't help but think what could have been in the playoffs this year with Torts or Trotz at the helm. And I get they aren't available but just say'in.
Tortz* vs Laine would be interesting :laugh:

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't mind Wheeler telling a reporter to f*** off after that loss. You think you're disappointed with the Jets' season?

I'm more concerned with his interview today where he expressed his undying love for Maurice. Doesn't want to play for anyone else.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

I don't know if anyone is saying Wheeler if full of excuses. We all know there's organs and bones and stuff in there too. Maybe his intestines are full of excuses, but not all of him.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I don't mind Wheeler telling a reporter to **** off after that loss. You think you're disappointed with the Jets' season?

I'm more concerned with his interview today where he expressed his undying love for Maurice. Doesn't want to play for anyone else.

Two of Wheeler quote plus the above concerns me.
Not to the point that i cant sleep anymore.

But it bothers me as a Jets fan and where the team is headed moving forward

1) he is the best coach i have ever played for
2) i walk through walls for him

Im sure there are more that i might not have catch.

That is one locker room politics.

Thats not a trait of a great captain.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Also from before.
He looked like the correct captain at the time only because he was balls to the walls player.
He was vocal, opposite of Ladd.
Funny because Wheeler said he learned everything about being a Captain from Ladd.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Not sure where that gets us.

"We suck, I suck, our coaches suck, we should scorch earth, trade us all and rebuild. It's the only option."

I'm not sure what people expect these guys to say. They know they haven't played well all season. They know that they haven't found their game. They get badgered all season with the same questions over and over again. Questions they obviously don't have the answers too or there would be a change.

Pretending you played well and swearing publicly at people who suggest you didn't are not solutions for that conundrum.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I don't mind Wheeler telling a reporter to **** off after that loss. You think you're disappointed with the Jets' season?

The solution will be too obvious for Chevy to grasp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad