Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
yes they're not close at the same age

this past season though? AINEC, Wheeler had 91 pts (40 5v5) and Laine 50 (24 5v5). Wheeler scoring efficiencies were far better too not even comparable this season.

I wanted to see Laine and Wheeler swapped through certain points of the year, but after seeing this year in a whole and the final numbers Laine was a complete anchor at 5v5
They should atleast try it for an extended period of time.

As Thanos said
Its "inevitable"

It will be this year or next year the most.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Wheeler was asked to extend his leadership far beyond what is expected from most captains. This was completely unfair to him.

The reason for this is that Maurice has very little involvement in influencing team dynamics and holding players accountable. He has stated on several occasions that he rarely talks to the players. Instead he relies completely on his vets to motivate and enforce accountability. He has stated this. Of course, the coach in this case, has given total control of the room to Wheeler. This is unacceptable and puts far too much responsibility to Wheeler.

Maurice must change his leadership style or history will surely repeat itself.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
They should atleast try it for an extended period of time.

As Thanos said
Its "inevitable"

It will be this year or next year the most.
they should, but i can see the hesitancy given Laine's performance this year. id like to see Wheeler with Little given their previous chemistry and the fact that the numbers indicate there isn't a big variance between Wheeler's production with Little or Scheifele

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Wheeler brown-noses incessantly to Maurice, and probably parrots his every word in the room (you'd pretty much have to if you're prepared to go through a wall for him). Why not just give the C to Maurice and eliminate the middle man? If I were a UFA (or even making my limited trade list) I wouldn't be keen on going where the captain is some kind of mind-melding clone of the coach, and a selfish one to boot.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wheeler brown-noses incessantly to Maurice, and probably parrots his every word in the room (you'd pretty much have to if you're prepared to go through a wall for him). Why not just give the C to Maurice and eliminate the middle man? If I were a UFA (or even making my limited trade list) I wouldn't be keen on going where the captain is some kind of mind-melding clone of the coach, and a selfish one to boot.
Jets should get a captain that regularly defies and undercuts the coach...

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Agreed. Wheeler needs to be transitioned to a lesser role on the 2nd line, and eventually 3rd line. The challenge will be getting him to accept that. In the meantime, he's only damaging the team in thinking he's the same player he was a few years ago, when he is clearly in decline. That's just a terrible contract, but it can be mitigated if he accepts a lesser role.
Brutal contract that'll only get worse as I don't see Wheeler easly accepting a lesser role even as he declines

Reactions: bennylundholm

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Jets should get a
coach...

better

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Does Wheeler's response to Friesen's question expose an attitude of entitlement?

Any team with players with a sense of entitlement are doomed to fail. Theres too much parity and the play too tight.

Not to make a mountain of a molehill here but just suck it up buddy and answer the damn question. Man up for the sake of your team, your fan base, and your 8.5M.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Does Wheeler's response to Friesen's question expose an attitude of entitlement?

Any team with players with a sense of entitlement are doomed to fail. Theres too much parity and the play too tight.

Not to make a mountain of a molehill here but just suck it up buddy and answer the damn question. Man up for the sake of your team, your fan base, and your 8.5M.

It was a horrible question a few minutes after an elimination game. It wasn’t far removed from “why did you guys suck so bad?” I’m all for more blunt honesty from players and less canned responses.

Reactions: TheGovernment

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Wheeler was asked to extend his leadership far beyond what is expected from most captains. This was completely unfair to him.

The reason for this is that Maurice has very little involvement in influencing team dynamics and holding players accountable. He has stated on several occasions that he rarely talks to the players. Instead he relies completely on his vets to motivate and enforce accountability. He has stated this. Of course, the coach in this case, has given total control of the room to Wheeler. This is unacceptable and puts far too much responsibility to Wheeler.

Maurice must change his leadership style or history will surely repeat itself.

Any source for these claims about Wheeler?

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
That response from Wheeler on the Friesen question was great. Paul Friesen is a joke, always tries to light a fire against the public and an organization... Basically always focusing on a negative regardless of the situation. I've been waiting for someone to tell him to f*** off for years.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
It was a horrible question a few minutes after an elimination game. It wasn’t far removed from “why did you guys suck so bad?” I’m all for more blunt honesty from players and less canned responses.
It was a justified question after a lackluster performance that leas to an early exit, and Wheeler didn’t handle it well. Why are you defending him so much? I bet that he is a great guy, but he is straight out bad with the media.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Wheeler has become a huge dBag to the media. Its one of the differences between this year and last year.. Blake has always appeared to be a my way or highway type of guy... Maybe a bit arrogant even, with the media especially but this year he took it to a whole new level. I get a sense of entitlement there.

Reactions: ocdaddy

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
There certainly seems to be some entitlement yes, but I have no issues with his media relations. I'm sure there's plenty of tension there at times.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Hes the captain. Its part of his responsibility as captain to sit there and take it and respond in a respectful manner. Blake is supposed to be the leader, he didn't show much of that this season.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It was a justified question after a lackluster performance that leas to an early exit, and Wheeler didn’t handle it well. Why are you defending him so much? I bet that he is a great guy, but he is straight out bad with the media.

Lacklustre is kind.
That was THE worst game of the season at the worst time, Wheeler was likely THAT frustrated and he actually wasn’t that rude as everyone is making him out to be.
The question was fair and this is overblown.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
"The playoffs are all about controlling your emotions"- Blake Wheeler, April/2019.

How'd that work out for you in game 6 Blake?

Jets had zero emotional investment in game 6, the Jets looked like a team who just wanted the season to end with other things on their minds like golf, fishing and travel!

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Jets had zero emotional investment in game 6, the Jets looked like a team who just wanted the season to end with other things on their minds like golf, fishing and travel!
It was certainly a disappointing way to go out. Pretty much kept to the season's script because they couldn't find a switch or some such nonsense.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
No, I have no sources for Wheeler’s feelings about this. It is only my opinion that I feel too much was required of him from a leadership perspective.

Is there a list out there of standard leadership responsibilities? Is he making an above average salary for an NHL captain? If anything, how do we know he isn’t underperforming from his off ice expectations?

I absolutely respect your opinion it I would hazard a guess the other way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad