Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't really have a problem with Wheeler's comments because the Jets tried hard but were obviously tired by game six. They worked their tail but it wasn't enough so obviously Wheeler doesn't see how it affected the team. Blake likes his minutes and Paul feeds it to him. Wheeler never has and never will win a cup like that. They need to play smarter and more efficient. Paul Maurice is a good coach but not good enough to get the Jets over the hump the way the game is played today. If he was, he wouldn't have grinded his top guys into the ground and that stale power play needs a lot more looks and options. Far too predictable.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
They were saying it all season.

Literally every player in their exit interviews stated how the team sucked heading into the playoffs and how they didn't execute in game 6. But they also stated how St. Louis played a hell of a game. Only guy that doesn't really admit anything is Helle and for a goalie that probably isn't a bad attitude to have considering how much of being a goaltender is confidence.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yeah, he gets paid millions to play a game and all that comes with it. talking to the media IS HIS JOB. He is also captain who represents the players on his team, OFTEN TO THE MEDIA, hence him talking to them after the game. Why such an apologist for everything regarding the Jets?

I'm not, there's stiff I'm critical of. Why do you take a huge dump on everything this team does?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I like the way he disappears in the playoffs
Also weren't ppl just complaining how zone time on its own is useless unless you create scoring opportunities a guy like Connor is more likely to turn an everyday moment in their zonebinto a scoring opportunity. He also showed more growth than Ehlers so maybe in the future Connor will be closer in getting into their zone cleanly as well, but, Ehlers will not be as good at putting the puck in the net as that can't be coached.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
We've been dumping all over Wheeler for various reasons, but my main concern is still his level of play. During the second half of this season we saw a more stationary style of play that was less effective in my opinion. No rushing whatsoever. A couple plays in the STL series were concerning to me when we saw him rush the puck and not being able to pull away. Not even close actually. I certainly hope he hasn't lost a step. Hopefully he can get in the appropriate training regimen this summer and re-find his wheels

Reactions: sipowicz

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We've been dumping all over Wheeler for various reasons, but my main concern is still his level of play. During the second half of this season we saw a more stationary style of play that was less effective in my opinion. No rushing whatsoever. A couple plays in the STL series were concerning to me when we saw him rush the puck and not being able to pull away. Not even close actually. I certainly hope he hasn't lost a step. Hopefully he can get in the appropriate training regimen this summer and re-find his wheels

I personally think chopping 3 minutes per game off his ice time will make a big difference in that regard.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
He has 100% lost a step. And I remember the play you are talking about where he began his patented power rush towards the net, then pulled up before charging the net. We ultimately scored on that play...I believe it was the OT game winner by Connor. But the fact he no longer drives as hard is a clear indicator that his play is declining. After the game he discussed that plan, and he said he just didn't have the stamina/energy to keep the drive (like he used to).

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I personally think chopping 3 minutes per game off his ice time will make a big difference in that regard.
Agreed. Wheeler needs to be transitioned to a lesser role on the 2nd line, and eventually 3rd line. The challenge will be getting him to accept that. In the meantime, he's only damaging the team in thinking he's the same player he was a few years ago, when he is clearly in decline. That's just a terrible contract, but it can be mitigated if he accepts a lesser role.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Wheeler with Scheifele the last 2 seasons has put up 40 & 41 5v5 pts in 1184 and 1207 5v5 mins. Wheeler pre Scheifele has put up since 2011 43 pts/1235 mins, 26 pts/720 mins, 41 pts/1149 mins, 36/1069 mins, 48 /1152 mins, 37/1193 mins.

his TOI to scoring efficiency was a tad down this year at 1.99 5v5 pts/60 but that's a difference of 2-3 points to get him back to his previous efficiency.

i think we can cut his minutes a bit, have him play 2nd line with Little and distribute the ice time better. I think his scoring efficiency will roughly be the same. Problem is after seeing Laine's play this year it didn't instill confidence he should be playing over wheeler

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't really have a problem with Wheeler's comments because the Jets tried hard but were obviously tired by game six. They worked their tail but it wasn't enough so obviously Wheeler doesn't see how it affected the team. Blake likes his minutes and Paul feeds it to him. Wheeler never has and never will win a cup like that. They need to play smarter and more efficient. Paul Maurice is a good coach but not good enough to get the Jets over the hump the way the game is played today. If he was, he wouldn't have grinded his top guys into the ground and that stale power play needs a lot more looks and options. Far too predictable.

If that was all they had to give in game six, then we need serious help.

I agree with what you said, in that it's a team sport. You do your part to make the team better, you don't try to do everything yourself.

Most of the team looked like they wanted to do everything themselves last year and that killed us. How about playing as a team? Wheeler isn't stupid, he should have said to Maurice during the regular season, that for the sake of the team, he should try maximising the team roster by playing with Little.... Even if just to see how affects the results of the team.

I don't care about him swearing or anything else, but he should be putting the team first. All of this assumes that he is trying to stay with 55 and Maurice isn't forcing him.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If that was all they had to give in game six, then we need serious help.

I agree with what you said, in that it's a team sport. You do your part to make the team better, you don't try to do everything yourself.

Most of the team looked like they wanted to do everything themselves last year and that killed us. How about playing as a team? Wheeler isn't stupid, he should have said to Maurice during the regular season, that for the sake of the team, he should try maximising the team roster by playing with Little.... Even if just to see how affects the results of the team.

I don't care about him swearing or anything else, but he should be putting the team first. All of this assumes that he is trying to stay with 55 and Maurice isn't forcing him.
The C went to Wheeler's head. Now it's all about him.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

That line had some great rushes when Laine was on that line..... just sayin....

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Wheeler with Scheifele the last 2 seasons has put up 40 & 41 5v5 pts in 1184 and 1207 5v5 mins. Wheeler pre Scheifele has put up since 2011 43 pts/1235 mins, 26 pts/720 mins, 41 pts/1149 mins, 36/1069 mins, 48 /1152 mins, 37/1193 mins.

his TOI to scoring efficiency was a tad down this year at 1.99 5v5 pts/60 but that's a difference of 2-3 points to get him back to his previous efficiency.

i think we can cut his minutes a bit, have him play 2nd line with Little and distribute the ice time better. I think his scoring efficiency will roughly be the same. Problem is after seeing Laine's play this year it didn't instill confidence he should be playing over wheeler

Give him a chance see how he does.
Like real chance. Not like 2 period or 5 games.

I bet he will be above and beyond what Wheeler did at Wheelers 26 years old, while Laines 21 years old.

Not comparing Wheelers same age. Not even cloooooooseeeeee.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What happened to this guy?

Also nice backhand feed by Enstrom there...if only that team had some consistently decent goaltending...

Reactions: Jack722

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Give him a chance see how he does.
Like real chance. Not like 2 period or 5 games.

I bet he will be above and beyond what Wheeler did at Wheelers 26 years old, while Laines 21 years old.

Not comparing Wheelers same age. Not even cloooooooseeeeee.
yes they're not close at the same age

this past season though? AINEC, Wheeler had 91 pts (40 5v5) and Laine 50 (24 5v5). Wheeler scoring efficiencies were far better too not even comparable this season.

I wanted to see Laine and Wheeler swapped through certain points of the year, but after seeing this year in a whole and the final numbers Laine was a complete anchor at 5v5

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
What happened to this guy?

Also nice backhand feed by Enstrom there...if only that team had some consistently decent goaltending...

I think Scheif has gotten Wheeler into that "healthy eating" crap. Funny how both those guys seem to run out of gas a lot. The old timers, they knew how to eat. :nod:

44745905_2002521303127744_7020632259476552873_n.jpg

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I think Scheif has gotten Wheeler into that "healthy eating" crap. Funny how both those guys seem to run out of gas a lot. The old timers, they knew how to eat. :nod:

44745905_2002521303127744_7020632259476552873_n.jpg
Ya idk about that diet. 55 had another excellent season, but ironically he didn't look as strong and quick as last year.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I wanted to see Laine and Wheeler swapped through certain points of the year, but after seeing this year in a whole and the final numbers Laine was a complete anchor at 5v5

I dunno, it certainly seems that way from the stats, and through parts of the season to the eye as well. But when he played with Scheif and Wheels, I had a hard time seeing how Laine was dragging that line down. It seemed quite the opposite really. Likewise in the playoffs, he seemed regularly the best player in his line.

I'm not really gonna even bring November into it, I don't think he was even playing that great hockey, but he was converting all the chances he got. I think Maurice has got into Laine's head with his bizarre usage. If you have the type of roster you can have 70+ goals on the wings on the 2nd line alone, you'd think the coach would find those players some decent icetime.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I dunno, it certainly seems that way from the stats, and through parts of the season to the eye as well. But when he played with Scheif and Wheels, I had a hard time seeing how Laine was dragging that line down. It seemed quite the opposite really. Likewise in the playoffs, he seemed regularly the best player in his line.

I'm not really gonna even bring November into it, I don't think he was even playing that great hockey, but he was converting all the chances he got. I think Maurice has got into Laine's head with his bizarre usage. If you have the type of roster you can have 70+ goals on the wings on the 2nd line alone, you'd think the coach would find those players some decent icetime.
the top line was going through a minor lull at the time he was put on so perhaps you're perceiving he was better than he truly was. the bruins game specifically he was great on that line. he had few nice set-ups on that line, which is highlighted with his gargantuan 3 assist total with LSW. Oh and he had a Chiarot shot go in off his leg for a goal. 4 pts in roughly 200 5v5 mins. in totality, that line was not positive in the shot or goal share still. I think Ehlers was best suited for that line this year.

the only reason i advocate making the 26-29 swap is that laine and little simply dont work. wheeler can produce just as good (historically at least) with little as with scheifele. i can see how a coach wouldnt trust laine against top comp though since he's a terrible 5v5 player defensively and underwhelming offensively, was even worse than KC this year

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad