Player Discussion: Blake Wheeler Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I have never said that I don't like him because I do like him. I think that is defensive game has come a long way. If it comes down to trading him or KC I am keeping KC. I I would much rather see number 85 number 5 go first + 57 can walk unless he signs for 3.25 million or less.
I trade KC over Ehlers. Ehlers is a much rarer talent. He tilts the ice. You can't score if you can't get the puck into the other zone. If you take price into account, I think it's a straightforward decision.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
There is no such thing as a perfect captain. Wheeler has his flaws like anyone else but overall he was the player that made most sense when the C was handed out. It's easy to complain about it now. I still think he is the clearest choice. The A's should have probably been handed out to players that were strong in areas Wheels lack. That didn't seem to be the case.

Reactions: GNP and jetsfan15

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I trade KC over Ehlers. Ehlers is a much rarer talent. He tilts the ice. You can't score if you can't get the puck into the other zone. If you take price into account, I think it's a straightforward decision.

I wouldn’t trade either KC or Ehlers. I think both are important to this team’s future. Both are young players who I think have their best days ahead of them.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I wouldn’t trade either KC or Ehlers. I think both are important to this team’s future. Both are young players who I think have their best days ahead of them.

If they keep Maurice they need to trade Ehlers imo. Can't have 6mil player playing less than 16 min a game. It's a waste of cap space when this team needs centers and defensemen.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
If you have ever listened to Wheeler talk, it was obvious he would be a divisive personality. I remember an interview he did before he was captain about how he likes to debate everything with his teammates. My first thought was, that has to be annoying for some players. He seems rather aggro when it comes to his point of view. That is great in many settings, especially if those opinions/ideas are really good, but it also likely to piss people off.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
If we can keep them both, sure. I don't think we can/should. KC will definitely have the best market value which I think will be rather inflated.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
If we can keep them both, sure. I don't think we can/should. KC will definitely have the best market value which I think will be rather inflated.

If Trouba gets traded (which I think is almost inevitable at this stage), I don’t see why we “can’t” (cap-wise). I definitely don’t understand why we “shouldn’t”... both players are super young and haven’t even entered their prime yet.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
If Trouba gets traded (which I think is almost inevitable at this stage), I don’t see why we “can’t” (cap-wise). I definitely don’t understand why we “shouldn’t”... both players are super young and haven’t even entered their prime yet.
YOu think we can hang with our d-core minus Trouba? yikes

Reactions: irunthepeg

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If you have ever listened to Wheeler talk, it was obvious he would be a divisive personality. I remember an interview he did before he was captain about how he likes to debate everything with his teammates. My first thought was, that has to be annoying for some players. He seems rather aggro when it comes to his point of view. That is great in many settings, especially if those opinions/ideas are really good, but it also likely to piss people off.
he's probably on HFboards

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
[QUOTE="GNP, post: 160057869, member:
“What I don't want to see -- is the Jet's taking on a lot of older player contracts, like Annaheim did with Getzlaff and Perry, and now their not in a good position at all. Annaheim has sort of screwed them selves IMO, and stuck with aging player contracts. I'd like to keep our younger players.

I think your a little bit late on this ...we have already signed Wheeler, Little and Buff. Buff’s is the best of the 3 largely because it ends sooner[/QUOTE]

I don't think I'm a little late on this. I think Buff was a "great signing", and wasn't that old when we signed him. I also think they should "resign him" if he keeps in good shape. I have to admit he looked a bit slower in the playoffs --so maybe he was injured. We still have to be careful for how much $$ and for how long ?? Maybe a 2 year deal at around $ 6 mil, if he's still effective ?

As for Wheeler -I'd likely have done the same thing as Chevy --he just had his best season ever. Where we may suffer is in year 4 and 5 of his contract ?? I think we will --would have liked to see a 3 year deal with Blake, but he wouldn't have signed it.

As for Little-- this contract somewhat haunts me -- but he was playing very well this year. The Jet's signed him as 2nd line center, but really now he's more of a 3rd or 4th liner --and to go 5 years at around $ 5 mil on an aging, smaller type of center, could come back to bite us. I don't think I would have made this deal on Little for any more than $ 3.8 to 4 mil per season (4yrs). I think we need to find a young up and coming center --to fill this spot, but I think Little is fine until we do.

If I were GM--I'd try to trade Trouba for a young talented 2nd line center, and we'd be in great shape. He should return a great player. We'd just have to fill that gap on defense, and we have players that can do that. Also could trade Trouba for a high 1st draft pick at Center

I don't think Hayes is the answer at the $ 6-7 mil he'll get offered as an UFA. I think we should wait.

Last edited:

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
It's not about dollars and sense. It's about throwing salt in the wound. Don't be a *****e reporter. Trying to get your scoop. How the hell can Wheeler answer that. Yeah the team could not make a pass to start the game, couldn't get any offense going. Ehlers couldn't win a loose puck, Laine couldn't do squat with it. Scheif and Wheels got matched up against bigger tougher players, and couldn't find space. Benny and Buff got walked for 2 games straight. St. Louis exposed the Jets inability to cover the middle of the ice, on one touch passes. Wheeler can't call out his teammates, or coach, that's what a crappy captain does. He can call out the media trying to get him to bury his own team. Wheeler battled from start to finish, that's what you want from your captain. No apologies.
Ok. All those failures are accurate. Wheeler, as the Captain however, actually does have to call them out - not by individual names but as a collective group. And the reporter has to ask that question, otherwise he has to write a story that has no quote. Often those ‘dumb’ questions are just that - an opportunity for a player to add a comment to what is already obvious. If they don’t like it then the alternative is for reporters to write whatever they want. The team is paying you pretty well to talk to the people (readers/listeners) who actually pay that salary. I could give Wheeler a pass for the other day and the f bomb because of the end of the season ‘raw’ circumstance - except he does it all the time when he thinks questions are dumb or beneath him. He should have realized by now that thousands of jets fans actually feel similarly hurt and frustrated. He doesn’t own all of that. It’s actually shared.

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
I would defend any player that told a media person to **** off. It doesn't matter if I'm a big Wheeler fan. **** happens. Swearing happens. You could see he was visibly upset. Friesen did not word it the best either.
I just listened to it for the first time since live after the game. Friesen could've asked a more direct question like why were you outshot in the 2nd? instead of saying in an elimination game you'd expect the best, with heavy emphasis on best, before asking an open-ended 'what happened'?

Though a valid line of questioning these are humans who are obviously ticked at losing a series so I can see why Wheeler answered that question that way. Then he rambled a bit because he wasn't really asked a specific question, he just reacted to implicitly being asked why best effort wasn't given in an elimination game.

I am hearing this differently today than live but right when it happened I admit I didn't hear the question, I was ticked and I was surprised he swore

Edit: listening to exit interviews Wheeler says the way we ended the season we didn't have our A game in that game, pauses and says that's a fair assessment - in answer to a question about his only missing one game the last few seasons. Also praises Maurice as the winningest-coach in hockey, and theres a reason for that.

So Wheeler knows Jets weren't at their best and responded emotionally to Friesens question.

Fwiw the more I listen to him the less he sounds like a great captain, hearing more potential excuses than accepting responsibility.

Last edited:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
There's a guy on Twitter reporting that Wheeler treated his niece like crap when she asked him for an autograph at her school. Sounds like Wheeler's ego is out of control.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
There's a guy on Twitter reporting that Wheeler treated his niece like crap when she asked him for an autograph at her school. Sounds like Wheeler's ego is out of control.

Wheelers always had a little bit of a stench of arrogance about him, no surprise!

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I can't confirm it yet, but I think Wheeler may have kicked a puppy. Possibly someone who posts here.

Reactions: LowLefty

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Just my opinion, but if your the Captain of the team, and the voice of it, you have to become approachable. Blake's body language is bad --and it basically says, I don't have to answer your stupid question--who do you think you are, asking me that. That's the impression I get from the team's "represenative"--and I think he needs to go to "interview school". He needs to learn "diplomacy"

Example -- reporter asks " in an elimination game, you'd expect the "best"--what happened" ??

Wheeler's response ----- _ _ ck off.

What he should say -- I'm glad you brought that up, and a lot of people will be thinking the same thing, so I'll answer it the best I can. They were clogging up the neutral zone, and we were having a tough time gaining access, and they did a good job. This was reflected by our low shots on goal. That team is a very good defensive team, and at the end of the 2nd we talked about this, and changed our strategy in the 3rd period, and we were a lot better.

You see --this is the way a Captain is supposed to respond, not like a little kid who just lost his favorite toy. Why make yourself become "non-approachable" to the media, when you can use them to your advantage ?? If he doesn't like the Limelite or attention--he should turn the C over to someone --"not as sensitive" and who has big shoulders, and can take the odd shot. Grow up a bit Blake --it's big boys game out there. Don't come across like a spoiled brat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
Example -reporter asks "you guys were totally outshot and outplayed in that second period--what happened" ??

Wheeler's response -- _ _ ck off.
FWIW Friesen's question was "...in an elimination game you'd expect the best (heavy emphasis on best), what happened?"

Reactions: GNP

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Just my opinion, but if your the Captain of the team, and the voice of it, you have to become approachable. Blake's body language is bad --and it basically says, I don't have to answer your stupid question--who do you think you are, asking me that. That's the impression I get from the team's "represenative"--and I think he needs to go to "interview school". He needs to learn "diplomacy"

Example -reporter asks "you guys were totally outshot and outplayed in that second period--what happened" ??

Wheeler's response -- _ _ ck off.

What he should say -- I'm glad you brought that up, and a lot of people will be thinking the same thing, so I'll answer it the best I can. They were clogging up the neutral zone, and we were having a tough time gaining access, and they did a good job. This was reflected by our low shots on goal. That team is a very good defensive team, and at the end of the 2nd we talked about this, and changed our strategy in the 3rd period, and we were a lot better.

You see --this is the way a Captain is supposed to respond, not like a little kid who just lost his favorite toy. Why make yourself become "non-approachable" to the media, when you can use them to your advantage ?? If he doesn't like the Limelite or attention--he should turn the C over to someone --"not as sensitive" and who has big shoulders, and can take the odd shot. Grow up a bit Blake --it's big boys game out there. Don't come across like a spoiled brat.

Here's the thing though. It's not his job as a player or captain to explain the ins and outs of the game to a reporter moments after his season ended. How is explaining how the game went to a reporter who obviously watched the game, using the media to his advantage? So the reporter can quote him, and posters on boards like this one and several others can say he's just full of excuses?

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
FWIW Friesen's question was "...in an elimination game you'd expect the best (heavy emphasis on best), what happened?"

Doesn't matter the question-- as he's going to have to answer questions he doesn't like. He has to learn to be diplomatic. It seems he has a short fuse, and can't control his temper. I'll revise the question in my post --thanks for that

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Here's the thing though. It's not his job as a player or captain to explain the ins and outs of the game to a reporter moments after his season ended. How is explaining how the game went to a reporter who obviously watched the game, using the media to his advantage? So the reporter can quote him, and posters on boards like this one and several others can say he's just full of excuses?
it absolutely is his job. wtf do you think these guys get paid for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad