Waived: Blair Jones

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
As per Dreger:

Calgary Flames place Blair Jones on waivers.

Interesting. Leaves us with one center in Stajan. He had this stretch last year where he was doing a phenomenal job of being a pest. And then this year, that all of a sudden stopped. He did take the initiative and became pretty good at faceoffs (59.4% this year).

With another year on his contract though, I doubt he gets picked up.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm shocked! I thought Blair Jones has shown some flashes of skill and energy.

Maybe there's more to come?

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Yeah, that's my guess as well. Stajan is pretty much the only real center we have. Maybe they are comfortable shifting Cervenka to center permanently?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I wonder if this has something to do with Baerstchi or Backlund coming back. But you're right, this doesn't make sense given our lack of centre depth

Sep 13, 2009
Good chance he gets claimed.

My guess is the Flames are close to signing Jason Arnott and need the roster spot/contract space.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Bizarre move to say the least. I thought he was playing particularly well, was killing it on face offs, and had good spark. Hopefully feaster has something in the works

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Yes! As soon as I seem him a main stay in this line up and a must have energy guy who can win face offs, they put him on waivers

This is a start of many things folks. IMO - Iggy prolly has permitted them to trade him. An we now clearing roster spots.

That's my hope/guess

Gary83*

So weird. Definitely thought he had been decent for us. Seemed improved in the dot too.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
This is pretty strange.

Jones was taking a LOT of key faceoffs, playing some tough minutes.

He was one of two(Stajan)natural NHL centers that we had.

It does make you wonder if another move is in the works

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I love how after every move, Flames fans think "something else must be in the works" :laugh: and there never is... ever. Not once. :laugh:

Backlund or Baertschi must be coming back. Good news.

Personally I would have waived Comeau over Jones tho.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Yes! As soon as I seem him a main stay in this line up and a must have energy guy who can win face offs, they put him on waivers

This is a start of many things folks. IMO - Iggy prolly has permitted them to trade him. An we now clearing roster spots.

That's my hope/guess

4th liner waived, must be trading Iginla:sarcasm:

Thats a pretty big reach.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
4th liner waived, must be trading Iginla:sarcasm:

Thats a pretty big reach.

He won't clear, that leaves 2 open spots. Maybe Baertschi is coming back but Backlund isn't. He isn't even skating with the team. He is still at least 2-3 weeks away.

I think that if they lose Jones, which they will, the flames will start fielding offers. Once kipper is back then a goalie will go and leave 3 spots open, where we will have flexibility in trades.

Right now, even if we had a blockbuster in the works we couldn't pull it off.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
Is it really that big of a move? Questionable? Yes.. I personally thought Comeau deserves to go over Jones :huh: .. But were overeacting on this just like we did with the MacDonald pick up. We can't seriously be thinking this is related to Iginla and him getting traded.. Until we hit the end of March or early April I doubt we hear anything about Jarome's future in Calgary.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He won't clear, that leaves 2 open spots. Maybe Baertschi is coming back but Backlund isn't. He isn't even skating with the team. He is still at least 2-3 weeks away.

I think that if they lose Jones, which they will, the flames will start fielding offers. Once kipper is back then a goalie will go and leave 3 spots open, where we will have flexibility in trades.

Right now, even if we had a blockbuster in the works we couldn't pull it off.

Irving already cleared he may clear again so I doubt waiving a goalie loses one, and again it is a huge reach to say waiving a 4th line center is leading to us trading our captain and best player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad