Blackhawks refused to report sex abuse of players to the police

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016
Translations: We have concluded someone other than Bowman or MacIssac can be blamed, probably just "the system" so we will make that public and talk about changing the order of things only.

I mean, very likely yea. It's what many of us have said from the beginning.

The system we live under is very flawed, but it is much bigger than the Blackhawks or the NHL or sports in general. The Hawks were almost certainly operating under whatever their legal counsel advised them of at the time.

There was no grand cover up. There were two adult victims who refused to come forward for any number of reasons and unfortunately that's where it stops for the Blackhawks (well, outside of firing him). Without a victim there isn't anything to report....and certainly nothing to cover up.

Its why I was so incensed with that Vincent in the first place. As a former LEO he knew all of this and is still partaking in this dog and pony show.

The most unfortunate part of all of this (IMO) is that Aldrich went on to abuse at least one other kid....but it's been debunked that the Blackhawks gave any positive reference and again, there isn't any legal recourse for the organization if the original player victims are uncooperative.

Anyway, I'm glad the findings will be made public. It'll be one less thing to read about from now until....forever.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

They're not journalists but I think they did a fantastic job. Worth a listen. TW for sexual assault discussion, obviously.

If you'd prefer to read it, there's a full transcript by The Athletic's Katie Strang here:

SDP_RickWestheadBlackhawks_Transcript

Last edited:
Reactions: ClydeLee

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There is nothing new here with regard to information from this article

All this was stated before (The meeting , etc) outside of the stuff about Aldrich and 14 yr old family friend kid which unless he is accusing Aldrich of something wouldn't be relevant legally

What Vincent says actually contradicts recent claim by player as well in his amended lawsuit on what happened and is more in line with original claim of masturbation in front of player and Aldrich asking to perform sex act on player

And again Vincent confirms that people (I believe Sopel or Boynton stated this as well) were fine with the team photo , day with cup and belief that Aldrich had been dealt with (As he was no longer with organization after team photo)

It again leaves open what Hawks were supposed to do legally considering player did not want to go to police by again his own lawyers statement and what original claim from first filing was

Last edited:

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This feels like how the Penn State story came out, and the reactions of some of the fans on this board remind me of Penn State fans reactions. I realize the extent is not the same, but jeez it is ugly.

What are the reactions here that you're speaking to? I'm pretty sure all of us are disgusted with it. This guy is a despicable, disgusting person, and I hope he gets everything he deserves for being a predator. There are just many of us who want to wait for all the facts to come out, and for this all to play out, before we convict anyone in the court of public opinion. I don't think that's such a crazy stance to take on it...

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
What are the reactions here that you're speaking to? I'm pretty sure all of us are disgusted with it. There are just many of us who want to wait for all the facts to come out, and for this all to play out, before we convict anyone in the court of public opinion. I don't think that's such a crazy stance to take on it...

It is, actually. The lawsuit is all about making the details public, not actually a litigation result.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It is, actually. The lawsuit is all about making the details public, not actually a litigation result.

So waiting for all the information, before condemning and crucifying people for what they may or may not have done, is a crazy stance? Lol. The court of public opinion ruins peoples' lives, but we should all just jump to conclusions and condemn people, eh?

giphy.gif

To be clear... I'm not speaking about Aldrich here...

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
So waiting for all the information, before condemning and crucifying people for what they may or may not have done, is a crazy stance? Lol. The court of public opinion ruins peoples' lives, but we should all just jump to conclusions and condemn people, eh?

Or simply have the league take the the investigation out of the organiation's hands, because the people who were witness to the events are actively signaling their distrust.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Or simply have the league take the the investigation out of the organiation's hands, because the people who were witness to the events are actively signaling their distrust.

The Hawks are doing no investigation

The Hawks are handling this the way any corporation/organization would handle it and hired a respected law firm to investigate

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Yes, what is likely a multi-billion dollar law firm, that commands a ton of respect, of which the lead investigator happens to be a former Assistant US attorney, are all going to tarnish their reputations, and put that all on the line, to help the Hawks cover something up, right? Lol. Absolute nonsense.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yes, what is likely a multi-billion dollar law firm, that commands a ton of respect, of which the lead investigator happens to be a former Assistant US attorney, are all going to tarnish their reputations and put that all on the line, to help the Hawks cover something up, right? Lol. Absolute nonsense.

As seen on main board and social media the reality is people calling for "Independent" investigation truly just want everything they believe to be true

Its possible Hawks covered it up and deserve everything that comes with that but its also as likely Hawk did what most of us believe and handled this as HR matter or were advised how to go forward legally (Without a victim ,, As adult in this case by his own lawyers statement did not want to go to police) and felt they had appropriately addressed it (And Boynton , Sopel , Vincent , etc were more then fine with how it was handled as pointed out)

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Yes, what is likely a multi-billion dollar law firm, that commands a ton of respect, of which the lead investigator happens to be a former Assistant US attorney, are all going to tarnish their reputations and put that all on the line, to help the Hawks cover something up, right? Lol. Absolute nonsense.

Seems to me that Paul Vincent didn't find that convincing.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think these facts are relevant to the case:

They explain to me what happened,” Vincent told the Jenner & Block lawyers. “I didn’t need all the details. I knew that it was wrong. They told me that [Aldrich] had tried to touch their penis, wanted to touch their penis. That’s all I needed to know. I said, ‘It’s not my spot. I’m not a police officer any more. I will go to the proper people.'"

Investigators asked him in the Aug. 7 interview if the words “handjob” or “bl**j**” were used by the players who approached the former Blackhawks coach. Vincent answered no.

Asked whether the players had said they had been ejaculated on, Vincent answered no. Asked whether a woman or drugs such as “roofies” might have been involved in the alleged incidents, Vincent responded that he did not know.

Based on this, it appears Blackhawks' management was not made aware of the full details of the encounter, that came out recently. As the players never disclosed them to Boynton or Vincent. I'd be willing to bet the other person present at the meeting was legal counsel.

This part of the article is really f***ed up, and extremely concerning:

Aldrich routinely had a 14-year-old boy stay weekends at his apartment, Vincent said, adding that he understood the boy’s family was close to Aldrich. “Family friend, that’s what I was told,” Vincent told Schar, adding that the boy has developed into “a pretty successful hockey player… moved along and became an NHL player.”

You can almost guarantee something bad was happening here, based on this piece of shit's history....

Disgusting.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Based on the fact that Vincent provided his interview with the investigators to Rick Westhead. Why else would he do that unless he didn't have full confidence in the investigation?
He probably wanted to get his recollection of events out there since he's sort of one of the main characters in this whole thing.

Why does it even matter if he doesn't have confidence in the investigation?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Based on the fact that Vincent provided his interview with the investigators to Rick Westhead. Why else would he do that unless he didn't have full confidence in the investigation?

Because he's been very public about this the entire time? Because he's right in the middle of this, and maybe doesn't want people asking why HE didn't say something to someone outside of the organization? It means absolutely nothing. You realize the Blackhawks have already stated that they will be sharing the results of this investigation, right?

I once again go back to asking why, if these people thought more should have been done, they didn't do it themselves? It seems to me all of these individuals were satisfied with Aldrich being fired at the time....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad