Blackhawks refused to report sex abuse of players to the police

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Chicago Blackhawks alleged sex abuse of players police - TSN.ca

Make of this what you will. If true, there may be a big shakeup this offseason.

If there’s another thread for this already then please move it.

Just awful. If true, Bowman and MacIsaac need to be fired.

"Chicago Blackhawks senior management allegedly refused to file a report to Chicago police during the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs after two players claimed a video coach who worked with the franchise had sexually assaulted them, according to a person familiar with the matter.

During a May 2010 meeting with then-Blackhawks president John McDonough, vice president of hockey operations Al MacIsaac, general manager Stan Bowman and team sports psychologist James Gary, then-skills coach Paul Vincent shared what the players had told him about being assaulted and asked the team executives to contact the sex crimes division of the Chicago police, the person said, adding that the request was denied."

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Just awful. If true, Bowman and MacIsaac need to be fired.

"Chicago Blackhawks senior management allegedly refused to file a report to Chicago police during the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs after two players claimed a video coach who worked with the franchise had sexually assaulted them, according to a person familiar with the matter.

During a May 2010 meeting with then-Blackhawks president John McDonough, vice president of hockey operations Al MacIsaac, general manager Stan Bowman and team sports psychologist James Gary, then-skills coach Paul Vincent shared what the players had told him about being assaulted and asked the team executives to contact the sex crimes division of the Chicago police, the person said, adding that the request was denied."
Depends how it went down. Maybe Bowman and MacIsaac were over ruled by McDonough and told to keep quiet, or else. That said, they could have been anonymous about it, but not sure how that works.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Disgusting if true (and it likely is).

I'll wait til after the investigation before I start pushing for it, but everyone still in the organization who didn't follow through with looking into this should be shit canned (yes, including Stanley). Again, if this is all true (though again, it statistically speaking is likely true).

It's not an investigation, it's a civil lawsuit. The reality is that 10 years ago this is not an unusual way for a corporation to cover its own back. But it's inexcusable. This guy went on to work in a high school and abuse a minor, if abusing players wasn't bad enough.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Depends how it went down. Maybe Bowman and MacIsaac were over ruled by McDonough and told to keep quiet, or else. That said, they could have been anonymous about it, but not sure how that works.

Oh the Ronald McDonald legend overruled Stan the Man argument has made a reappearance lol

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
It's not an investigation, it's a civil lawsuit. The reality is that 10 years ago this is not an unusual way for a corporation to cover its own back. But it's inexcusable. This guy went on to work in a high school and abuse a minor, if abusing players wasn't bad enough.
Yeah, bad choice of words on my part. Knew it wasn't an investigation, just had a brain fart.

You do bring up a good point. The org's silence helped this guy get hired at a high school and he pulled this shit there on a minor. The Blackhawks indirectly helped a child be assaulted. Heads need to roll.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Yeah, bad choice of words on my part. Knew it wasn't an investigation, just had a brain fart.

You do bring up a good point. The org's silence helped this guy get hired at a high school and he pulled this shit there on a minor. The Blackhawks indirectly helped a child be assaulted. Heads need to roll.

No worries on the word choice. The interesting thing is in a civil case the burden of proof is not beyond a reasonable doubt but that is probable or more likely than not. Much lower standard.

Reactions: BigHulkingThickV

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018

Yup totally unacceptable. Any management from 2010 needs to be canned. Start over completely. It’s awful that anyone has to deal with sexual assault.

Feel bad for Danny Wirtz, this isn’t his mess yet he’s the one who’s going to have to clean it up.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm guessing McDouche was fired because this was all coming out, and he was in charge of the cover-up. Not much of a reach considering he was the "marketing guru", and President, and this is a big stain in that regard.

Not good at all. Heads are gonna roll. As they should.
If they're going to fire Bowman et al they should get on it before he has a chance to do anything this offseason

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I am a pretty big Stan fan and don't think there are many better options out there for his replacement.

That being said, if the organization doesn't cut him, McIsafter this, I will be deeply hurt.

EDIT: Also why in the f*** aren't our local reporters even acknowledging this? So scared of losing access? f***ing pathetic.

I subscribe to the Athletic who employ two dedicated Chicago hockey reporters and neither of them have said anything.

Reactions: Indiana

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
It does not matter how it went down, they were a part of it, willingly or not. It's time to clean house.

Not that anyone will ever know what happened but if the very top of the organization is threatening anyone who would be willing to come forward with the players, how would those fearing retribution be any different from the players not just directly going to the police themselves? The people that would need to be cleaned out, are/were the people that were in control of the decision to not bring the allegations to light. That seems like a decision that goes above the GM's head.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It does not matter how it went down, they were a part of it, willingly or not. It's time to clean house.
It kind of does. I know if something happened at my work, and my owner told me not to say anything or else he'll fire me. I ain't saying shit (unless I have a damn good back up plan). I have kids to feed.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
If Bowman knew of this and did nothing, he needs to be fired.

A child suffered at the hands of this. I don't care who's call it was to cover it up, if Bowman knew this happened and did nothing, he's just as guilty as the perv who molested a child.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
just wondering...would toews be involved
Maybe he did know and decided to stay away from the team because he didn't want to be associated with covering up a sex crime?

If that's the case, Toews is a legend. I personally wouldn't want to be associated with such a vile act of victim shaming.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
There are a lot of people who allegedly knew about this. There's no chance that Rocky doesn't also know everything.

Even if he fires everybody involved, it's going to look really shitty on him for waiting to take action until things became public. That shows no integrity on his part. Ridiculous bullshit, f*** all these assholes.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I think Rocky and all of ownership should also face consequences. It shouldn't stop with just firing Bowman and co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad