Blackhawks refused to report sex abuse of players to the police

Status
Not open for further replies.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Again, no one "knew" as they weren't there. They were told about it or heard about it. The question as Pez states is what did they hear and did they believe it or even think it was bad. If it was just a rumor/story going around that Aldrich had so and so over, got wasted and whipped out his junk then I can see people just laughing it off. There's also the question of when they heard about the incident. We need to hear the specifics and not assume people knew every last detail before we indict someone for not doing anything.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Also Boynton was so disgusted with Hawks handling of situation he signed a new contract with team late that summer.. Sopel was so disgusted with handling of situation he was doing post game shows and such years later and talking about how great of a guy Stan Bowman is

Also what did they know? Was it the masturbation claim from original filing or the new claims from this filing ,, Its a pretty big thing to ask

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Also Boynton was so disgusted with Hawks handling of situation he signed a new contract with team late that summer.. Sopel was so disgusted with handling of situation he was doing post game shows and such years later and talking about how great of a guy Stan Bowman is

Also what did they know? Was it the masturbation claim from original filing or the new claims from this filing ,, Its a pretty big thing to ask

Sometimes guilt takes time to grow. Usually people try to act like nothing happened and hate it when people remind you of the abuse that happened which you ignored. Others can't take it on their conscience anymore.

Pretty easy to see which side which players are on.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Boyonton was on the last legs of his career and accepted what was certainly the only offer he received. He can both be disgusting while also wanting to play in the NHL. Signing that contract doesn't prove or absolve anything. The guy still needed a job.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
I'm not trying to water down the significance of this situation, but am I the only one who's seeing similarities of this situation vs Carcillo bitching about head trauma?

Sopel, Boynton.. no skin in game. Carcillo, no skin in the game.

If it bothered them THAT much, why are we just now hearing about this a decade later?

That shit makes me scratch my head. You're playing hero NOW? Where the f*** were you when this was fresh?

Shit isn't adding up.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm not trying to water down the significance of this situation, but am I the only one who's seeing similarities of this situation vs Carcillo bitching about head trauma?

Sopel, Boynton.. no skin in game. Carcillo, no skin in the game.

If it bothered them THAT much, why are we just now hearing about this a decade later?

That shit makes me scratch my head. You're playing hero NOW? Where the f*** were you when this was fresh?

Shit isn't adding up.

I don't put them in the same category, but something definitely isn't adding up. Way too many questions about why nobody said shit until now... Timelines and claims are all over the place, too. You have people like Q who was asked about this, and went on record saying he just heard about it recently. Which makes no sense whatsoever if what the plaintiffs are claiming is true. Because he had to know there were players that would contradict him on the record.... I have no idea what to believe, but I find Sopel and Boynton being so outraged NOW, to be hypocritical nonsense.

Reactions: jaysoneil

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Boyonton was on the last legs of his career and accepted what was certainly the only offer he received. He can both be disgusting while also wanting to play in the NHL. Signing that contract doesn't prove or absolve anything. The guy still needed a job.
Actually I thought Campbell and Boynton were buds? Surprised by the news that’s coming out like everyone but if they all knew, why’s it coming out now?

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
I just feel like calling individual players to the carpet for 'knowing' is not fair.

What did they know? Was it gossip? A first hand account?

Boynton says he found out from Dowell so he didn't hear it first hand. Dowell said his memories are fuzzy.

At the end of the day it was reported to management. The players are neither the victim or the employer. The guy was gone by the following season. It's not unreasonable to think they considered the issue dealt with.

At best they're witnesses in a civil case. They could have lots of reasons for saying something or not. It's possible that some have vague recollections of the situation or they weren't fully aware of what was happening. It's possible some have already spoken to investigators but aren't speaking to the media.

From what has been alluded to the victims were not star players. So who knows if they were in the same atmosphere as the stars.

The allegation of slurs in the ammended lawsuit from players is a huge incentive for them not to say anything. And interestingly Boynton was not called to task for not saying anything about that issue. In all the talk neither Boynton or Sopel are specific about what they knew. Just that they 'knew'.

The focus should be on the actions of the organization.

needle

Apr 30, 2012
This is getting ridiculous. "Everyone knew". Wtf does that mean? I hear a rumor and it's my job to report it to the police? Lol.

The funny thing about this is that it's only an issue because the player himself didn't report this to authorities. Apparently Patrick Kane was supposed to go to the police, Stan Bowman was supposed to go to the police, everyone except the only person that actually knows what happened, you know, the victim.

Reactions: Giovi and Crow

Not woke

Mar 21, 2017
USA
On people questioning the slurs and alleged harassment to the plaintiff by players, this sounds like frat-boy style hazing. Fraternity culture and Pro-Sports culture seem to have similarities, because the way "pledges" are treated (many times) is beyond humiliating and beyond reproach.. but it's encouraged and expected as a rite of passage. It's wrong, but it's allowed because no one speaks up.

Regarding the disbelief of posters who question the plaintiff's and player's delay in reporting this type of situation; they are weighing the costs. Go to the police now (2010), blow this thing up, get black-listed by their only decent source of income and ruin their dream of becoming a (fill in the blank, "pro NHL player, high-status male, great provider for their family, future management employee, broadcaster, etc")... Or, keep my mouth shut because the powers-that-be have NOT spoken.. follow the lead of the leaders or be ... what? Definitely not welcomed and supported.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
This is getting ridiculous. "Everyone knew". Wtf does that mean? I hear a rumor and it's my job to report it to the police? Lol.

The funny thing about this is that it's only an issue because the player himself didn't report this to authorities. Apparently Patrick Kane was supposed to go to the police, Stan Bowman was supposed to go to the police, everyone except the only person that actually knows what happened, you know, the victim.
I do not get how people are interpreting things this way.

What makes people connect anyone such as Boynton saying x players knew and saying they needed to go to he police.

He's saying why aren't they talking to the media? Making statements that they knew or heard at the time. It's not the slight then, it's the slight why aren't they stepping up now like the few who are. Boynton, sopel, Dowell. (Obviously in reality those who work for the organization are not going to talk publicly unless forced to for other reasons ala-Toews/Keith interviews)

Crow

May 19, 2014

The biggest hypocrite seems to be boyton himself. In one quote he says he is calling those people out. Well how about call your f***ing self out after doing and saying nothing as well for years.

And let’s just completely ignore all the legal implications and issues it would cause for people still employed by the organization as if this isn’t an ongoing lawsuit. The victim wouldn’t risk his job by reporting it but you expect people who heard about it to?

Long story short, saying anything before the lawsuit would not be respecting what the victim’s actions were.

Saying anything now that there is a lawsuit, especially some weird vague statements, is just stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: AzHawk

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The biggest hypocrite seems to be boyton himself. In one quote he says he is calling those people out. Well how about call your f***ing self out after doing and saying nothing as well for years.

And let’s just completely ignore all the legal implications and issues it would cause for people still employed by the organization as if this isn’t an ongoing lawsuit. The victim wouldn’t risk his job by reporting it but you expect people who heard about it to?
How is it hypocritical? You people are so odd with this view. We've had 2 months to talk, why haven't they talked? That's longer than how long from hearing about Aldrich's abuses to Aldrich being gone from there club. He's not saying why didn't you talk for 10 years, he's saying now, these last 2 months.

How about all the ex players not in the league anymore? Why so far have 3 talked to media only. There's a ton of retired not in the league or in media guys too who could of reached out. The last tsn article mentioned they reached out to Hossa/Kopecky and got no reply. There's Buff, Hendry, Brouwer, Burish, Eager, Crow, Skille, etc. Why have we haw 2 months with the only real addition this month being Dowell speaking.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

Crow

May 19, 2014
How is it hypocritical? You people are so odd with this view. We've had 2 months to talk, why haven't they talked? That's longer than how long from hearing about Aldrich's abuses to Aldrich being gone from there club. He's not saying why didn't you talk for 10 years, he's saying now, these last 2 months.

How about all the ex players not in the league anymore? Why so far have 3 talked to media only. There's a ton of retired not in the league or in media guys too who could of reached out. The last tsn article mentioned they reached out to Hossa/Kopecky and got no reply. There's Buff, Hendry, Brouwer, Burish, Eager, Crow, Skille, etc. Why have we haw 2 months with the only real addition this month being Dowell speaking.
The reason not to talk now is simple. It’s a legal mess that people probably don’t want to be a part of. Have you ever been deposed? Have you ever had to go to court after even if you weren’t involved and really had nothing to offer other than hearsay?

If so did you enjoy having to be asked ridiculous questions repeatedly for days and being taken away from your family and obligations?

Well I didn’t.

By all means if they have something to offer other than ‘they heard about it’ they have a moral obligation to get involved. Even then I don’t think the right way to get involved is speaking out to the media in every circumstance.

Reactions: AzHawk and RayP

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Agree!

What Boynton and Sopel are saying, IMO, is, The cat's out of the bag boys, time to come clean and tell what you saw, heard and know.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

But if what they knew is hearsay it's perfectly legitimate to not want to be involved in the case and not want to speak to media. Kane and Campbell at least are still employees so that makes the situation more complex. Kane has an extra one given the 2015 accusations against him and the spotlight it would put on it. It's a situation where even if you are trying to convey you have no helpful information it can be misconstrued. Look at how people have attacked Toews for his comments and using the word annoyed. People called him a liar.

What if some of the players think the team did nothing wrong and that firing the guy was sufficient? I'm not saying it was, but it's an opinion. Either way it's not relevant to the case.

Susan Loggans has said via Westhead that if the players speak out there's no legal repercussions for them. Seems to me she is trying to drum up support for her case, not that there's anything wrong with that, but I bet if the positions were reversed she would be advising the players not say anything in the media.

Beyond that Nick Boynton has no idea what former players have chosen to speak to investigators unless they told him.

Reactions: AzHawk

needle

Apr 30, 2012
I do not get how people are interpreting things this way.

What makes people connect anyone such as Boynton saying x players knew and saying they needed to go to he police.

He's saying why aren't they talking to the media? Making statements that they knew or heard at the time. It's not the slight then, it's the slight why aren't they stepping up now like the few who are. Boynton, sopel, Dowell. (Obviously in reality those who work for the organization are not going to talk publicly unless forced to for other reasons ala-Toews/Keith interviews)

Nick Boynton's wife was fired by Comcast Sportsnet Chicago (25% Blackhawks ownership) because she used her media career to wife an NHL player. I haven't forgotten.

I know exactly what Nick Boynton's agenda is here. Jen Patterson should have aimed higher.

Reactions: clydesdale line

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Nick Boynton's wife was fired by Comcast Sportsnet Chicago (25% Blackhawks ownership) because she used her media career to wife an NHL player. I haven't forgotten.

I know exactly what Nick Boynton's agenda is here. Jen Patterson should have aimed higher.
LoL, didn't remember that until you said it. Axe, meet grinder.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012

I totally forgot about that. Well done.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

Ding, ding, ding.... AGENDA. There's always one.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Translations: We have concluded someone other than Bowman or MacIssac can be blamed, probably just "the system" so we will make that public and talk about changing the order of things only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->