Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Never should have broken up the Hags-Hayes-Miller line.
That is not why they are not scoring. That has been happening for a while. Teams change strategies on the Rangers and are not giving them the middle of the ice It is up to AV to adjust.

And PP is just dreadful. And that is entirely on coaching.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
That is not why they are not scoring. That has been happening for a while. Teams change strategies on the Rangers and are not giving them the middle of the ice It is up to AV to adjust.

And PP is just dreadful. And that is entirely on coaching.

It certainly doesn't help when you throw out 4 lines without an ounce of chemistry between them.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The team sucks entering the zone because all they try is a stretch pass. Now that teams are checking tighter there's no space out there for those passes hence the 7383735 million neutral zone turnovers.
Maybe now and then going back to "caveman" hockey and dumping the puck into a corner instead of turning it over, needs to happen.

After all, when on a PP, you have more players. Why not try outnumbering the opposition.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Maybe now and then going back to "caveman" hockey and dumping the puck into a corner instead of turning it over, needs to happen.

After all, when on a PP, you have more players. Why not try outnumbering the opposition.

It's not like the literally don't ever dump and chase. I saw Nash do it on the PP toward the end of the game last night, and I highly doubt that's the only time it happened.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Stepan had a decent game.. I think people blow his slump out of proportion. He isn't Crosby or toews he's never gunna put up 80-90 points... He's been at the mercy of playing with our two streakiest scorers all season (Kreider and msl). U can't argue that

He's been the worst player out of the 3 for the last 10 or 11 games. No one has blown his slump out of proportion, this is the worst he has looked at the NHL level during the regular season.

I agree that his game last night wasn't bad though. At least he was in the middle of a few chances on the offensive end and he picked off a few passes in the NZ that led to rushes the other way, which is more than hes been doing lately.

He needs to get it going more than Nash does.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He was listed as just one of many reasons
Whether people like it or not, Nash will be judged on how he does in the playoffs, which are games like last night. No open space. And not going against Buffalo's defense.

He needs to prove that he can score when it counts. Nash has had a wonderful season, but his success will be judged on how he performs in the playoffs.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Dont worry guys, ofc they shut out when I go see a game. I wont go near the arena again!

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Anyone who thought that was a "fun game" to watch must like watching paint dry.

What a perfect display of 21st Century NHL hockey. Puck bouncing everywhere, usually out of play every 30 seconds. "Turnovers" because of pucks hitting the heel of someone's skate, not because the defender made a good play. Stay-puft marshmellow men goaltenders. Incompetent officials. All that game was missing was a broken stick on a slapshot, or a power play goal thanks to a puck "directly" shot into the crowd.

I'd feel the same way even if the Rangers won 1-0. I don't even want to get into the Glass discussion. He sucks, yes. But one mistake shouldn't be the game. Ice hockey is not international soccer. Yet, in this day and age with the equipment that allows never ending shot blocking and legal interference all over the ice, the NHL product is boring, boring, boring.

Couple that with another completely unnecessary 8:15 start, that game was a cure for insomina.

You must have really enjoyed the All Star game.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
You know, mistakes are made in hockey games... blown coverages happen... it's how you adjust to those when they do, and what you do to overcome mistakes during the game on a whole.

The NYR did neither last night... and honestly haven't done enough lately to overcome very much.

The room for error was razor thin last night and they got cut.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Really? There were plenty of scoring chances against the Rangers prior to a goal.
Check this chance for example.
http://sports.yahoo.com/video/talbot-robs-toews-doorstep-140030536.html

Game was a snooze fest. Neither goalie had to be all that good. Grade A chance followed by 10 routine, basic perimeter shots. Rinse and repeat.

It was identical to their previous defensive showdown, which was equally a snooze fest, with limited chances, limited quantity of great saves.

The game was shut down entirely in the neutral zone. No flow. When they got in the zone it was virtually one and done.

It was the definition of boring.

Their last string of games, Panthers, Sabres, Blackhawks 2x, etc have been snooze fests. Rangers are playing Tortorella hockey. Breaking up everything in the neutral zone and virtually blocking every single good shot attempt.

We are playing boring hockey right now. And apparently Chicago plays very boring hockey against us. These last two against Chicago were tough to sit through. Nothing fun about no flow, obstruction, and turnovers in the neutral zone.

There could be fun 1-0 games. This was not one of them. Havent seen an exciting Ranger game in a while now. Getting old. I see every game, every year, and I havent felt this bored in a long time, and we are winning virtually every game.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
When your forward lines look that terrible it isn't surprising that they didn't score a goal.

This is my exact concern. Say what you want about what chances he's getting, but he's just not playing the same way he was earlier. He's lost a certain amount of recklessness.

That's what I have been seeing too. It just looks like he's tentative as far as contact or going to high traffic areas. He's settling for low percentage shots.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Whether people like it or not, Nash will be judged on how he does in the playoffs, which are games like last night. No open space. And not going against Buffalo's defense.

He needs to prove that he can score when it counts. Nash has had a wonderful season, but his success will be judged on how he performs in the playoffs.

This is absolutely true....blue ;-)

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Fast just as guilty on the Richards goal, if not moreso, by standing in the slot just watching. At least Glass was covering somebody.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Fast just as guilty on the Richards goal, if not moreso, by standing in the slot just watching. At least Glass was covering somebody.

I was confused by the Glass hate on that goal. He was at least trying to clear the crease. There was obviously a defensive breakdown but cant pin it on TG.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Considering how bad Stepan line is best thing to do is go with nash brass zucc and hags hayes miller and just put Sheppard on the right side of Kreider and step. They weren't producing before so what's worst that can happen? Least the other lines stay jn tact.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I was confused by the Glass hate on that goal. He was at least trying to clear the crease. There was obviously a defensive breakdown but cant pin it on TG.

Any time we get scored on and Glass was on the ice it's automatically his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad