Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vickers8

We played a good game last night. The lines that AV constructed were absolutely terrible and it showed in the chemistry (or lack thereof) on the ice. Defensively we were good aside from the Richards goal.

Allow 1 goal you should win

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Sometimes it's good to consider the big picture.

Two top 5 defensive teams. Net score of 1-1 over two games.

Concern about the offense is 100% justfied but let's not panic about last night. That is what a great defensive team looks like.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The Rangers coverage is fine after the play you're talking about. They had basically recovered. Boyle, Moore and Fast had their men up high. Glass took Boyle's spot covering the front of the net and Hunwick was on the puck behind the net. At least right up until Hunwick makes a poor decision and doesn't communicate that decision to Glass.

Yea Hunwick is not gonna catch Richards who already had a step on him wrapping all the way around the net. Glass has to realize that and release, especially when the alternative is covering no one. Not to mention the eternity Richards had in front of the net, where Glass had nothing but daylight in his field of vision...yet still recedes backwards as Richards is taking his time instead of pressing forward.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Yea Hunwick is not gonna catch Richards who already had a step on him wrapping all the way around the net. Glass has to realize that and release, especially when the alternative is covering no one. Not to mention the eternity Richards had in front of the net, where Glass had nothing but daylight in his field of vision...yet still recedes backwards as Richards is taking his time instead of pressing forward.

Hunwick doesn't need to catch Richards. He needs to hurry him. Glass had the front of the net. There's no need to Hunwick to then have the front of the net too.

The danger, from Glass's point of view there is that if he releases, Richards will slide the puck over and Bickell's got a wide open net. Basically like a mini 2-on-1. Glass made the right choice. He doesn't know Hunwick is there because there's no communication.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Don't know why people feel the need to single out Nash.

He, along with Zuccarello, Brassard, and (especially) Stepan have gone ice cold during these last couple weeks. They are the offensive leaders and need to turn it up collectively.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
That's because he's being used completely different than how he was on Arizona's power play. It's also amazing that Arizona has the 7th best power play in the league. Arniel needs to figure out how to make this team play effectively in all three zones with the man advantage. This team is brutal at entering the zone.

The team sucks entering the zone because all they try is a stretch pass. Now that teams are checking tighter there's no space out there for those passes hence the 7383735 million neutral zone turnovers. And as far as Yandle being used, OEL is the reason Zona's pp is 7th, he has double digit ppg, that's why I said they should have asked how much more for OEL, they paid a lot for Yandle why not just go all in and pay the extra for OEL instead who would have been a better fit here imo

Last edited by a moderator:

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Have not looked at another page of this thread, but let me guess.....

bunch of people staring over the edge of a cliff?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Nash is starting to worry me. Not because of point totals, but because of his style of play. He seems to really not be crashing the net with regularity anymore.

For the game overall, 1 - 0 loss to a good team. Not the end of the world considering the run they've been on.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Nash is starting to worry me. Not because of point totals, but because of his style of play. He seems to really not be crashing the net with regularity anymore.

For the game overall, 1 - 0 loss to a good team. Not the end of the world considering the run they've been on.

Funny, I thought he was the Rangers best forward last night.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He was pretty good last night, it's more a pattern over the last handful of games.

I'm not saying he's been bad by any means, but he has to be great or near great for the whole machine to function right.

His center being a complete and utter mess can't be helping.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
We played a good game last night. The lines that AV constructed were absolutely terrible and it showed in the chemistry (or lack thereof) on the ice. Defensively we were good aside from the Richards goal.

I don't think we were good defensively. I remember 2-3 instances where there was supposed to be a certain goal, but Talbot somehow prevented it. Need to be much better for the playoffs.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Nash was fine yesterday, he was right in the middle of 4 or 5 of this teams better scoring chances yesterday.

But anyone who thinks he looks the same as he did prior to missing a game with the neck issue isn't paying attention. It could be a slump, but I hope he isn't playing tentative because of an injury.

I don't think we were good defensively. I remember 2-3 instances where there was supposed to be a certain goal, but Talbot somehow prevented it. Need to be much better for the playoffs.

Almost every single quality scoring chance against came after the Rangers went down 1-0 and were forced to open it up.

They played a very strong defensive game.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Rangers have about 7 guys who are ice cold right now offensively.

As soon as they get going, this team will be scary good.

lets just hope they get it going when the playoffs start.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Nash was fine yesterday, he was right in the middle of 4 or 5 of this teams better scoring chances yesterday.

But anyone who thinks he looks the same as he did prior to missing a game with the neck issue isn't paying attention. It could be a slump, but I hope he isn't playing tentative because of an injury.

Almost every single quality scoring chance against came after the Rangers went down 1-0 and were forced to open it up.

They played a very strong defensive game.

This is my exact concern. Say what you want about what chances he's getting, but he's just not playing the same way he was earlier. He's lost a certain amount of recklessness.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

He also hasn't had any space to move. His linemates, especially his centers, have been disasters the last dozen games.

Nash has gotten some decent looks, he worries me less than Stepan and Brassard. Or even MZA. They've been making nothing happen and Stepan in particular almost looks like he is actively sabotaging scoring attempts. If he takes one more weak wrister into the goalies chest I am going to have an aneurysm.

The scoring is in a drought. 11 goals in the last 7 games. We saw something similar in mid-January when they scored 11 goals in 7 games (5 of them coming in one game) and Rick Nash only had 2 points during that stretch, both in the 5 goal win.

That drought was followed by 28 goals in the next 7 and 28 goals in the 7 games after that.

Unless their are some injuries we don't know about that people are playing through, they should be fine.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He also hasn't had any space to move. His linemates, especially his centers, have been disasters the last dozen games.

Nash has gotten some decent looks, he worries me less than Stepan and Brassard. Or even MZA. They've been making nothing happen and Stepan in particular almost looks like he is actively sabotaging scoring attempts. If he takes one more weak wrister into the goalies chest I am going to have an aneurysm.

The scoring is in a drought. 11 goals in the last 7 games. We saw something similar in mid-January when they scored 11 goals in 7 games (5 of them coming in one game) and Rick Nash only had 2 points during that stretch, both in the 5 goal win.

That drought was followed by 28 goals in the next 7 and 28 goals in the 7 games after that.

Unless their are some injuries we don't know about that people are playing through, they should be fine.
yeah. i actually take it as a good sign that the team is able to win while so many players are ice cold & / or injured.

MSL, MZA, Brassard, Kreider, Stepan, Nash...thats basically your entire top 2 lines. Pretty much a suck fest from them.

The 3rd line has carried this team the past few weeks. the 4th line has been a non factor when Glass has been in the lineup.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I thought it was a great game, even in loss. The Beaver goal was just bad on many levels by multiple players but it happens. I'm just not sure why AV had to change all the lines up because MSL was out. There was a severe lack of chemistry on all 4 forward lines. Fast or Miller should have moved up to RW on the line with Stepan and Kreider and the rest should be left the same.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009

Agreed, I thought he played well yesterday, however, the decisiveness and confidence that he had prior to the neck injury has diminished. Normally I would also dismiss it as a slump, but knowing that he has played cautiously in the past due to injury has me a little concerned.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Stepan had a decent game.. I think people blow his slump out of proportion. He isn't Crosby or toews he's never gunna put up 80-90 points... He's been at the mercy of playing with our two streakiest scorers all season (Kreider and msl). U can't argue that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad