Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Fast was at least in the passing lane. Glass decided to play second goalie.

Not really. Glass was in a passing lane. That's what he was doing there. He was covering the pass, which judging by how long Richards took to shoot the puck, was a correct read of the play in front of him. Richards wanted to pass the puck. The moment Glass released from Bickell, the puck would have been behind him and Bickell had a tap-in.

No matter what Glass does in that situation, it results in a goal, which is why the goal isn't on him. There are other players on the ice.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Guys, instead of putting the loss on a single player, its really the fault of our collective forward corps, who did not manage to get a single puck past Darling.

While i personally see the Richards situation as a very hesitant play from Glass, that was not really what lost us the game, it was our inability to score. If you dont score, you dont win.

BarbaraAlphanse

Guys, instead of putting the loss on a single player, its really the fault of our collective forward corps, who did not manage to get a single puck past Darling.

While i personally see the Richards situation as a very hesitant play from Glass, that was not really what lost us the game, it was our inability to score. If you dont score, you dont win.

You're barely scraping the problem of last night, the Panthers game, and perhaps a few games further back.

It is not the inability to score that anyone should really be focusing on. In fact, I've actually wanted this team to go through a stretch like this for the last 1-2 weeks.

The problem they are facing right now is no different than the problem(s) they've faced earlier in the year. You only need to listen to the interviews to get a grasp.

Right now they are complacent with their effort. And they are overconfident in their ability to win games, even when they're not pushing.

They're a remarkably dangerous team when they give their all and attack. With an attacking mentality they drive possession, score more goals, pin teams in their own zones, tire opposing teams' defenders out. And that mentality boils down to their complacent effort. They don't feel like they need to hunt anymore. They feel like they are the hunted and are succeeded in doing just enough to stifle opposing teams rather than go out and bring it to them.

That's fine, as long as they get it out of their system now. A few losses to bring them down to earth and remind them that they need to go out and hunt to succeed is fine with me.

It's not a goal scoring problem. They're fully capable of scoring.

It's an effort problem. And that should be fine come playoffs.

Niloc1*

After many years of reading HF, I've finally registered as an active user. Sadly I've done this because this place is often times sickening to read all while we're experiencing one of the greatest Rangers regular seasons in many of our lifetimes. I simply do not understand what a good portion of fans here are thinking. It's really an embarrassment reading game day threads and post game threads where many are acting like we're an abomination of a team. I watch a lot of hockey on a nightly basis and I will say this without bias, we are probably the best team in the NHL or top 3 at the worst.

Yet the mood around here would lead you we're the equivalent of the Devils of this season or the Islanders of the past 20 years prior to this season. We're quite fortunate to be given the opportunity to have such a quality product to watch 82+ nights a season. Yet we hit a bit of an offensive drought while also being on an epic defensive/goaltending run and all of a sudden some feel as though we're a one and done playoff squad. I guess our being a top 5 offensive team over 80+% of the season is simply an anomaly and nothing more. We've been playing mostly top tier teams of late and this is the style of game that will be played come mid-April, so get used to it.

For those with the negative attitudes, you should really take a peek at other teams boards and see what they have to say about our Rangers. Have fun finding many negatives out there, because level headed hockey fans see our team for what they are even if they despise our franchise.....one of the absolute favorites to win the Stanley Cup this year. Please stop making this forum the nauseating experience it's become and try to be level headed and knowledgable about your team and the game of hockey.

What have we lost now, 3 games in regulation out of 21? There are 29 other fan bases that wouldn't be too upset with that kind of run at this juncture of the season.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
He's right, I expect more than 12 goals and 28 assists from a so called first line winger, especially playing with a top 5 goal scorer.

Well he's 18th overall in GF60 with forwards who have played over 750 minutes this season. Comparable numbers to Malkin and Benn

BarbaraAlphanse

He's right, I expect more than 12 goals and 28 assists from a so called first line winger, especially playing with a top 5 goal scorer.

I'm certainly not advertising him as a 1st line winger.

Sure you can set up whatever expectations you want and say that he failed them. He's certainly not living up to my expectation that he'll surpass Gretzky's season point total... see how easy that is to paint him as a disappointment unjustifiably?

He's not being paid as a 1st liner. He was never on the first line until this year. It is more Nash in need of having a viable center than Zucc being placed on his line to optimize Zucc's talents. Zucc needs more space on the ice to be effective. Against 2nd or 3rd pairing defenders, he has that, and thus he is much more effective. With Nash, a player that warrants top pairing defenders, and also a player that likes to hold onto the puck just as Zuccarello does, Zucc's talents are somewhat muted.

Doesn't mean he's not capable of being a good 2nd line player - what he is being paid to be.

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
I just was hoping Mats would elevate his game after signing the contract like Staal has. Brass and Zucc both are far too deferential to Nash. Nash is a boss and a great player, but when's he's not on 100% instead of forcing looks/shots to Nash Brass and Zucc should look to the net more.

We became too reliant offensively on Nash, who has been spectacular this year. He hasn't been the same since his neck got hurt, call it what you want, and we need the rest of our top 6, excluding Kreider the past couple weeks, to go harder generating for themselves instead of kicking the puck around.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
He should never be compared to Benn and Malkin that's comical

Im just saying his production isnt bad at all. His ES production has been great. The difference between this year's Zuccarello and last year's is his PP production. Whatever though, you really can't be mad at 4.5 per for Zucc any way you look at it thats a great contract.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I'm certainly not advertising him as a 1st line winger.

Sure you can set up whatever expectations you want and say that he failed them. He's certainly not living up to my expectation that he'll surpass Gretzky's season point total... see how easy that is to paint him as a disappointment unjustifiably?

He's not being paid as a 1st liner. He was never on the first line until this year. It is more Nash in need of having a viable center than Zucc being placed on his line to optimize Zucc's talents. Zucc needs more space on the ice to be effective. Against 2nd or 3rd pairing defenders, he has that, and thus he is much more effective. With Nash, a player that warrants top pairing defenders, and also a player that likes to hold onto the puck just as Zuccarello does, Zucc's talents are somewhat muted.

Doesn't mean he's not capable of being a good 2nd line player - what he is being paid to be.

He's played on the first line all year and has 40 points how is the criticism unjustified? He's too cute and too fancy that's his problem. You say Zuke needs space doesn't Nash create space? The excuses on here are just hilarious at this point. I'm glad he's back I'm ok with 4.5 for the record before I'm labeled a hater

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Im just saying his production isnt bad at all. His ES production has been great. The difference between this year's Zuccarello and last year's is his PP production. Whatever though, you really can't be mad at 4.5 per for Zucc any way you look at it thats a great contract.

I'm ok with the contract in not thrilled with it but I can live with it

danktopshelf

Dec 23, 2014
NYC
I'm not a hater either. I like Zucc's game. Just wish he maximized it more often and didn't defer as much. I love the way he defends and skates hard. Basically if Zucc was as aggressive as Hagelin (and Zucc's hands are infinitely better) he would be a 30/40 guy.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
After many years of reading HF, I've finally registered as an active user. Sadly I've done this because this place is often times sickening to read all while we're experiencing one of the greatest Rangers regular seasons in many of our lifetimes. I simply do not understand what a good portion of fans here are thinking. It's really an embarrassment reading game day threads and post game threads where many are acting like we're an abomination of a team. I watch a lot of hockey on a nightly basis and I will say this without bias, we are probably the best team in the NHL or top 3 at the worst.

Yet the mood around here would lead you we're the equivalent of the Devils of this season or the Islanders of the past 20 years prior to this season. We're quite fortunate to be given the opportunity to have such a quality product to watch 82+ nights a season. Yet we hit a bit of an offensive drought while also being on an epic defensive/goaltending run and all of a sudden some feel as though we're a one and done playoff squad. I guess our being a top 5 offensive team over 80+% of the season is simply an anomaly and nothing more. We've been playing mostly top tier teams of late and this is the style of game that will be played come mid-April, so get used to it.

For those with the negative attitudes, you should really take a peek at other teams boards and see what they have to say about our Rangers. Have fun finding many negatives out there, because level headed hockey fans see our team for what they are even if they despise our franchise.....one of the absolute favorites to win the Stanley Cup this year. Please stop making this forum the nauseating experience it's become and try to be level headed and knowledgable about your team and the game of hockey.

What have we lost now, 3 games in regulation out of 21? There are 29 other fan bases that wouldn't be too upset with that kind of run at this juncture of the season.

Great first post, I have been on these boards since 2003 and I can honestly say as the Rangers have gotten better, the posters have gotten worse. We are not going to go 82-0 on the season. Honestly, I think most of the fan base is spoiled...

We lost a 1-0 game to one of the best teams in the league over the past few years, while having a few key players injured and you would think we were Toronto with the way people react around here, we have about 8 regulation losses in 3 months? I would love to see what people thought of this team when John Muckler and Ron Lowe were behind the bench....

BarbaraAlphanse

He's played on the first line all year and has 40 points how is the criticism unjustified? He's too cute and too fancy that's his problem. You say Zuke needs space doesn't Nash create space? The excuses on here are just hilarious at this point. I'm glad he's back I'm ok with 4.5 for the record before I'm labeled a hater

It's not an excuse. It's a reality. You can go around labeling him something he's not and never be happy. That's you're prerogative. I think he's misused on the line he is on. I don't think Nash compliments his style well. And as a result I think he is registering less points. He's being paid to play on lower lines. So what is your point? We roll 4 consistent lines anyway. Don't you think you're nitpicking?

Niloc1*

Great first post, I have been on these boards since 2003 and I can honestly say as the Rangers have gotten better, the posters have gotten worse. We are not going to go 82-0 on the season. Honestly, I think most of the fan base is spoiled...

We lost a 1-0 game to one of the best teams in the league over the past few years, while having a few key players injured and you would think we were Toronto with the way people react around here, we have about 8 regulation losses in 3 months? I would love to see what people thought of this team when John Muckler and Ron Lowe were behind the bench....

Thank you. I think you're dead on that as the Rangers have become a better team that the posters have gotten worse. I often times will follow the GDT of the team we're playing and last night I followed the Hawks GDT quite a bit. It's pretty amazing to see a group of level headed hockey fans supporting their team in such a calm manner while also showing considerable respect toward the opposing team. I guess winning 2 Cups over a short time does calm their demeanor and overall outlook, but it was really amazing to see a GDT without the unnecessary criticism and lunacy that runs rampant around these parts.

Defense and goaltending is ultimately what will win a championship. Our current run of allowing 1 or fewer goals in 8 straight years has not been done in some 14 years. The goals will start coming again, but as long as the defense remains in it's current form along with Cam/Hank between the pipes, I like our chances.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Not really. Glass was in a passing lane. That's what he was doing there. He was covering the pass, which judging by how long Richards took to shoot the puck, was a correct read of the play in front of him. Richards wanted to pass the puck. The moment Glass released from Bickell, the puck would have been behind him and Bickell had a tap-in.
Yeah, except for, you know, the other player also checking Bickell.

1MVGjdz.png

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Thank you. I think you're dead on that as the Rangers have become a better team that the posters have gotten worse. I often times will follow the GDT of the team we're playing and last night I followed the Hawks GDT quite a bit. It's pretty amazing to see a group of level headed hockey fans supporting their team in such a calm manner while also showing considerable respect toward the opposing team. I guess winning 2 Cups over a short time does calm their demeanor and overall outlook, but it was really amazing to see a GDT without the unnecessary criticism and lunacy that runs rampant around these parts.

Defense and goaltending is ultimately what will win a championship. Our current run of allowing 1 or fewer goals in 8 straight years has not been done in some 14 years. The goals will start coming again, but as long as the defense remains in it's current form along with Cam/Hank between the pipes, I like our chances.

I think that's the issue. If we win 2 cups over the next few years, I don't think the game threads will be like they are now. When you're a cup contending team, and have a 21 year cup drought, then it's a different story.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Yeah, except for, you know, the other player also checking Bickell.

1MVGjdz.png
First I laughed, and then I cried.

If he put as much effort into that play as he did smashing his stick on the goal after Richards scored, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad