Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Pretty meh game to be at. Garden was a total snoozefest and I was surrounded by a bunch of younger guys in suits on their phones the whole game.

I thought JT Miller and McDonagh were both solid tonight, and made a lot of smart plays. I was worried seeing McDonagh starting on his off side, but he seemed to do fine. Transition game was iffy, but gotta give credit to the Hawks for playing a solid, tight-checking game. If I'm AV, I try lines of:

Nash-Stepan-Miller
Kreider-Brassard-Zucc
Hags-Hayes-Fast
Sheppard-Moore-Glass

At least it'll reform a solid third line and have two lines with good offensive ability. Nothing you can do about Glass with MSL out since management said they're not looking to call anyone up.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Is Stepan poorly conditioned or what? His playoff performances of recent have left a lot to be desired and he is now at 11 games without a point. Looks like he's skating in mud once again. This is not at all how he looked two months ago. Is he still hitting the college wall in his fifth pro season?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Time to address the elephant in the room instead of having innocuous conversations about Tanner Glass or Dan Girardi......the Rangers have forgotten how to score goals over the last couple weeks.

Also, Keith Yandle has done absolutely zilch to help the power play.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I get it. Glass sucks.

But when you lose a game 1-0 it doesn't matter who the idiot was that left his man unchecked long enough to score. THAT guy is NOT the reason we lost.

If you can't score 1 ****ing goal, the you should lose that game.

This loss falls squarely on Nash shoulders for not scoring on that break.

It falls on the guys that are forever thinking pass when the shot is being given to them on a silver platter.

It falls on Boyle for not burying that goal where the goalie was out of position and prone to be scored on.

The PP that has recently looked much like Torts was still HC

There are reasons, legit reasons we lost this game.

Glass miscue in that spot, while being one of them, it not the main reason we lost.

Our scorers are not scoring and when you play with low scoring fire, you are going to get burned.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Time to address the elephant in the room instead of having innocuous conversations about Tanner Glass or Dan Girardi......the Rangers have forgotten how to score goals over the last couple weeks.

Also, Keith Yandle has done absolutely zilch to help the power play.

That's because he's being used completely different than how he was on Arizona's power play. It's also amazing that Arizona has the 7th best power play in the league. Arniel needs to figure out how to make this team play effectively in all three zones with the man advantage. This team is brutal at entering the zone.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I get it. Glass sucks.

But when you lose a game 1-0 it doesn't matter who the idiot was that left his man unchecked long enough to score. THAT guy is NOT the reason we lost.

If you can't score 1 ****ing goal, the you should lose that game.

This loss falls squarely on Nash shoulders for not scoring on that break.

It falls on the guys that are forever thinking pass when the shot is being given to them on a silver platter.

It falls on Boyle for not burying that goal where the goalie was out of position and prone to be scored on.

The PP that has recently looked much like Torts was still HC

There are reasons, legit reasons we lost this game.

Glass miscue in that spot, while being one of them, it not the main reason we lost.

Our scorers are not scoring and when you play with low scoring fire, you are going to get burned.

No, it doesn't actually.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Looked to me like Hunwick never made Glass aware that he had the guy Glass was trying to cover. So that's on Hunwick.

Oh no. We lost a game!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Looked to me like Hunwick never made Glass aware that he had the guy Glass was trying to cover. So that's on Hunwick.

Oh no. We lost a game!

Agreed. I have zero clue why Hunwick didn't follow Richards around the net. Zero clue. He was the source of the breakdown, no doubt.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

Oh no. We lost a game!

I don't think he had time to really. Hunwick basically reacted to seeing Bickel standing there wide open as the puck skittered towards him, and on top of that Tanner Glass is just as much to blame for tunnel visioning Richards instead of being aware of his surroundings and seeing Hunwick (who was previously standing near him as they both stared at Bickel, and skated RIGHT BY GLASS to cover Bickel...) had him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
On the goal, looked to me like Fast picked up Richards as the play was coming up ice, a bunch of miscommunication happened mostly because I assume Boyle was trapped up ice, and Fast probably should have reacquired Richards but was left in no mans land covering no one.

But the loss, can't win if they do not score, quick whistles happen, I'd chalk it up to two very good teams and good goaltending where one team took advantage of one of their opportunities where the other did not.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Agreed. I have zero clue why Hunwick didn't follow Richards around the net. Zero clue. He was the source of the breakdown, no doubt.

WHAT!? Hunwick never even saw Richards! It should have either been Fast, who was covering him initially, or idiot Glass who started to follow Bickel RIGHT WHERE RICHARDS MOVED TO, but then doubled back to where his two teammates were already standing.

Are you serious?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't think he had time to really. Hunwick basically reacted to seeing Bickel standing there wide open as the puck skittered towards him, and on top of that Tanner Glass is just as much to blame for tunnel visioning Richards instead of being aware of his surroundings and seeing Hunwick (who was previously standing near him as they both stared at Bickel, and skated RIGHT BY GLASS to cover Bickel...) had him.

You should watch the play again. Bickell is never open. He cuts to the front of the net, but Glass is already there. Hunwick, meanwhile, is starting to go to Richards when he's behind the net and then cuts back to the other side to pick up Bickell. He's BEHIND Glass, at this point, so Glass never sees him. Hunwick had plenty of time to let Glass know he was there, but didn't. That's the only reason I can see for Glass continuing to cover Bickell.

Vickers8

Andrew Gross@AGrossRecord · 11 hrs11 hours ago

Per Elias: Rangers first NHL team to allow 1 goal or fewer in regulation in 8 straight games since Stars did so March 13–28, 2001.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
WHAT!? Hunwick never even saw Richards! It should have either been Fast, who was covering him initially, or idiot Glass who started to follow Bickel RIGHT WHERE RICHARDS MOVED TO, but then doubled back to where his two teammates were already standing.

Are you serious?

Hunwick made a move towards Richards when he was behind the net then changed his mind. Watch the replay.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Are you serious?

Tough to understand what it is you're watching when Hunwick, heading around the net at high speed, looked at Richards as he received the puck, stopped, then headed in the opposite direction...

Anyway, I find your crusade to blame nearly every Ranger ill on Tanner Glass so carry on.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Andrew Gross@AGrossRecord · 11 hrs11 hours ago

Per Elias: Rangers first NHL team to allow 1 goal or fewer in regulation in 8 straight games since Stars did so March 13–28, 2001.

We played a good game last night. The lines that AV constructed were absolutely terrible and it showed in the chemistry (or lack thereof) on the ice. Defensively we were good aside from the Richards goal.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
You should watch the play again. Bickell is never open. He cuts to the front of the net, but Glass is already there. Hunwick, meanwhile, is starting to go to Richards when he's behind the net and then cuts back to the other side to pick up Bickell. He's BEHIND Glass, at this point, so Glass never sees him. Hunwick had plenty of time to let Glass know he was there, but didn't. That's the only reason I can see for Glass continuing to cover Bickell.

Edit: Bickel was definitely open behind the net before Hunwick moved on him.

Hunwick made a move towards Richards when he was behind the net then changed his mind. Watch the replay.

Watch the entire sequence, I'm talking about when they first get into the zone, not when the puck is behind the net.

Last edited:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Tough to understand what it is you're watching when Hunwick, heading around the net at high speed, looked at Richards as he received the puck, stopped, then headed in the opposite direction...

Anyway, I find your crusade to blame nearly every Ranger ill on Tanner Glass so carry on.

We're talking about two different parts of the sequence. I thought you meant when Richards first moves behind the net after entering the zone.

Edit: And yes, Hunwick has an opportunity there to skate after Richards and he apparently thought Richards was going to move out and pass across as well.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
We played a good game last night. The lines that AV constructed were absolutely terrible and it showed in the chemistry (or lack thereof) on the ice. Defensively we were good aside from the Richards goal.

I don't think they played well last night. I thought they were very sloppy — especially in the neutral zone. They didn't play fast. Not a hug surprise because I don't think played particularly well against Florida or Buffalo.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Watch the entire sequence, I'm talking about when they first get into the zone, not when the puck is behind the net.

The Rangers coverage is fine after the play you're talking about. They had basically recovered. Boyle, Moore and Fast had their men up high. Glass took Boyle's spot covering the front of the net and Hunwick was on the puck behind the net. At least right up until Hunwick makes a poor decision and doesn't communicate that decision to Glass.

TheDave1022

Nov 4, 2008
Carmel, NY
If I'm AV, I try lines of:

Nash-Stepan-Miller
Kreider-Brassard-Zucc
Hags-Hayes-Fast
Sheppard-Moore-Glass

Think Kreider and Hayes should be together. They played together in college and so far this season, they have done pretty well on the PP and the few other times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad