Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks 5, Pens 3 | Welp ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We won quite a few games during the winning streak due to our PP. Does that diminish that accomplishment because those goals weren't scored 5v5?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
No, but Brassard isn’t playing a ton of PP time if we score, so criticizing his numbers beyond 5v5 is a little foolish.
I'm criticizing his play away from the puck 5v5. His coverage has been abysmal. That is if you're watching the games instead of just getting a game summary afterwards.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Malkin has been terrible yet everyone wants to focus on Brassard.

His typical lazy penalty was the turning point of the game. Also him and Kessel playing emotionless on the 5 on 3.
Malkin helped us win three stanley cups and 90% plus of the time has been a dominant player in this league. Context and perspective are important.

Reactions: tread102

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Malkin helped us win three stanley cups and 90% plus of the time has been a dominant player in this league. Context and perspective are important.

I guess? If we are criticizing players this year I’d argue aside from his hot start Malkin in terms of expectations has easily been our worst forward. Kessel and Brassard right after him.

Malkin, Kessel and Letang were a huge reason we lost last night. Brassard was a reason we actually were tied the majority of the game.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
It really hasn’t. He is constantly in the right position. He’s not a physical player, but more often then not he supports the play and backcheck very well.
No he really doesn't. He loses his man in and around the net constantly only to be bailed out by the defense.

The one thing to his credit is he doesn't constantly turn the puck over. I'll give him credit there because that's been an issue for quite a few players.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I guess? If we are criticizing players this year I’d argue aside from his hot start Malkin in terms of expectations has easily been our worst forward. Kessel and Brassard right after him.

Malkin, Kessel and Letang were a huge reason we lost last night. Brassard was a reason we actually were tied the majority of the game.
I thought our special teams were the biggest reason. The PK had quite a lot to do with our loss.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
And why were we on the PK? And why did we not score on the PP?
Geno took a bad penalty no question, and he's not above criticism. That said he didn't prevent our PK from being able to clear the puck. Nor did he let the cross ice passes get through our slot in setting up many quality chances.

As far as the PP goes there was plenty of blame to go around.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Geno took a bad penalty no question, and he's not above criticism. That said he didn't prevent our PK from being able to clear the puck. Nor did he let the cross ice passes get through our slot in setting up many quality chances.

As far as the PP goes there was plenty of blame to go around.

Let’s be honest, Malkin hasn’t won us a game since mid-November. That is unacceptable regardless of his history here with relation to his salary.

Brassard is one of our cheapest forwards and is playing a depth role. I’ve got a ton of patience for that and it seems like there is a crowd that judges him as if he is a top six forward or something. Mainly because the “cost” I imagine.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017

TRUTH. You can't say anything bad about Malkin but I will. He's a selfish player that is not committed to play winning hockey. Either he's stupid or doesn't care.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
TRUTH. You can't say anything bad about Malkin but I will. He's a selfish player that is not committed to play winning hockey. Either he's stupid or doesn't care.
Then how on earth did we win three cups with Geno being an integral part of this teams success? Does he all of a sudden suck?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I've given up trying to figure out the Chicago thing. They get dunked on by teams like Philly and Florida regularly but play the pens like they're still an elite team. Not to say the pens played well at all, i'm surprised they don't show a bit more pride against the only team that can really compare to them over the past decade.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Let’s be honest, Malkin hasn’t won us a game since mid-November. That is unacceptable regardless of his history here with relation to his salary.

Brassard is one of our cheapest forwards and is playing a depth role. I’ve got a ton of patience for that and it seems like there is a crowd that judges him as if he is a top six forward or something.
I judge him with this in mind. His work ethic. It's been unacceptable. And his overall play in a Pens uniform is far below what he's displayed for any other team he's played for.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Malkin to this day seems motivated by emotions and after so many years, one would think he would have learned to temper that. Sid has since he came in. But it is what it is.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I've given up trying to figure out the Chicago thing. They get dunked on by teams like Philly and Florida regularly but play the pens like they're still an elite team. Not to say the pens played well at all, i'm surprised they don't show a bit more pride against the only team that can really compare to them over the past decade.

They won 7 of the last 12 and their powerplay is on fire. Consider they scored basically 3 power play goals, I’m not surprised we lost.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't know, cause we find ways to lose 10 straight to the same team?

And again 5v5 doesn't tell the whole story, does it?

They play the Hawks twice a year, who cares? They are literally in another conference and if fans have some kind of butt hurting issues over it, I can assure them a seven game series is a much different animal than playing them a couple times a season every year.

Also, the Pens PP and PK have been lights out the last few weeks, so I’m willing to give them a mulligan for a bad game, especially when I saw a ton of positives from the top three lines.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Then how on earth did we win three cups with Geno being an integral part of this teams success? Does he all of a sudden suck?

He has not been good this year. Pretty much just effective on the Power Play. If it wasn't for having two superstars we'd be out of the playoffs still.

I'm sure the excuses will be his linemates but if he was as good as he was or how good people think he is then he'd be propping his linemates up. I will say his five on five play is starting to heat up.

If you're a true Malkin fan you should buy those seats right next to the penalty box. You'll get to see him up close and personal.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Malkin has been terrible yet everyone wants to focus on Brassard.

Yeah, that whole topic named "I don't recognize this Malkin" doesn't exist. Oh wait. Malkin has been terrible for large stretches of the season, there is no denying that but Brassard is just there most games. He doesn't play like a guy fighting for the last big payday in his career. Yes, he will score from time to time but that's to be expected when all the defensive attention is on Sid, Geno and Phil. Grandpa Cullen shows far more desire to play and win than "Big Game" Brassard.

You can't say anything bad about Malkin but I will.

So brave of you. It's not like there are no threads complaining about anything and anyone on this forum after every loss and after most wins too.

I don’t know how one watches Kessel, Malkin and Brassard last night and comes away with Brassard looking bad.

To be honest I don't think any of the three looked bad. But it sure seemed like Pearson and Kessel created most chances for the third line and Brassard scored a goal Ward should have saved. Better than most games for Brassard but hardly better than Malkin or Kessel, IMO.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
The question is, why is Malkin spending so much time in the box?

Is he injured? Is he frustrated about his line mates or lack of production? Is he being lazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad