Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks 5, Pens 3 | Welp ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Good.

They should building him a statue for waking them up, not be mad ;)

Hah! I think its actually kinda conspicuous looking back that the gentlemen concerned have still looked a little sleepy through the streak. If he'd said something about Matt Murray, I'd agree with you :laugh:

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Lol why would one team respect another and just let them win based on that???? What a strange concept.
It is "respect" in the sense that you back off a player a little bit because you know he's able to dance around you and make you look stupid. Or respect in the sense they hang a guy back to be ready to play defense because you know the team your facing can get the puck going the other way at an instant.

Blackhawks don't do that like a lot of teams do to us. They pressure and commit and we can't posses the puck.

Reactions: EightyOne

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
in the context of the current season and stretch of games, this loss isn't a concern.

in the context of their games against Chicago, it is a concern (10 straight losses).

good thing they're not in the same division or conference lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Disappointed to lose that after the hot start, but not sure why. Another night where the other team wanted to prove a point far more than we did.
Let's not forget this team embarrassed us 10-1 last season. At some point, and after nearly five years of getting owned, when are we gonna want it more? What will it take? No question they are in our heads. They have to feel 10 feet tall when they play us.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
in the context of the current season and stretch of games, this loss isn't a concern.

in the context of their games against Chicago, it is a concern (10 straight losses).

good thing they're not in the same division or conference lol
Exactly! losing one game isn't the issue, it's who we lost to and in the manner in which we lost. Even when we're playing pretty well and their fighting for last place we can't secure the two points.

Reactions: domaug

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
10 in a row though. No matter how you slice it that's ridiculous.
Would be interesting to see how much of an outlier this is. If you look at the past 5 years of Pens losses (or wins) against each team and plot them, imagine you'd get a normal distribution curve.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Exactly! losing one game isn't the issue, it's who we lost to and in the manner in which we lost. Even when we're playing pretty well and their fighting for last place we can't secure the two points.
So? The good thing is given they suck we won't meet them in the Cup finals (if we get that far). A loss is a loss. Is losing to Hawks worse than losing to Avs? Of course not.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Would be interesting to see how much of an outlier this is. If you look at the past 5 years of Pens losses (or wins) against each team and plot them, imagine you'd get a normal distribution curve.
In the past ten years or so Pittsburgh and Chicago are the gold standard of the NHL. And particularly against them it'd be nice to at least have a competitive record and hold our own. When the discussion comes up as to which team is the best over that span, you'd want to think it's us, but then head to head it clearly isn't. We won back to back and that theoretically should give us an edge. But this head to head debacle is a real black eye.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
So? The good thing is given they suck we won't meet them in the Cup finals (if we get that far). A loss is a loss. Is losing to Hawks worse than losing to Avs? Of course not.
I think it is, for the reasons I stated above.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Look, no need to overthink it....our win streak was built on PDO and crazy stellar goaltending ...it was bound to come back to earth...if we can’t win when those normalize to just average or a little above average, then we have a problem, but it’s better to know that before the TDL....FLA game will be an interesting test to see if they win and how...FLA is a quick team but goaltending and D is suspect...we should be able to get some goals if we play with structure...if they abandon D to play a wide open game again, I’ll be worried...certainly can’t play that way and win in So Cal...

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
In the past ten years or so Pittsburgh and Chicago are the gold standard of the NHL. And particularly against them it'd be nice to at least have a competitive record and hold our own. When the discussion comes up as to which team is the best over that span, you'd want to think it's us, but then head to head it clearly isn't. We won back to back and that theoretically should give us an edge. But this head to head debacle is a real black eye.
A black eye? How? To whom? We were better, then they were, then we were. Don't think they made the playoffs last year?

Suspect there are 2 groups who are even aware of this anomaly--Pens fans and Hawks fans.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Let's not forget this team embarrassed us 10-1 last season. At some point, and after nearly five years of getting owned, when are we gonna want it more? What will it take? No question they are in our heads. They have to feel 10 feet tall when they play us.

Doubt its going to happen tbh, unless we meet them in a SCF. To the team, it's just another two points (or lack thereof).

I probably shouldn't overegg this mind - we win that game on a day when our special teams turn up and arguably better goaltending wins it too, its not like the effort to win it wasn't there - but right or wrong, it's there.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This game turned on special teams.

Special teams is important. A lot of games turn on special teams.
No question about it. Many like to view 5v5 as the be all. To me special teams is a very important variable when drawing a conclusion on a game/team.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
A black eye? How? To whom? We were better, then they were, then we were. Don't think they made the playoffs last year?

Suspect there are 2 groups who are even aware of this anomaly--Pens fans and Hawks fans.
Well, as part of the Pens faithful I'm aware of it.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Doubt its going to happen tbh, unless we meet them in a SCF. To the team, it's just another two points (or lack thereof).

I probably shouldn't overegg this mind - we win that game on a day when our special teams turn up and arguably better goaltending wins it too, its not like the effort to win it wasn't there - but right or wrong, it's there.
Let me ask you something, when was the last time Crosby had a big game against Chi town? Cause I can remember the last time Kane did against us.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Remember when Nashville took out Chicago in the first round a couple years back?

I remember that, it was simply beautiful. The only team that I feared would obliterate us was gone. Not that I didn't respect every opponent, but with Chicago out I enjoyed that run all the more because I felt as though the boogey man couldn't get to us. The same when the Blues dispatched them the year previously. It's a shame that we have to rely on other teams like that. Because I think we all know what kind of carnage would have occurred if we met them.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Don't know and don't care. It may bother you that we have a poor record against Chicago, but until such time as they look like facing us in a SCF, it doesn't bother me.
It's nice for you (I guess) that it doesn't bother you. And it's unfortunate that the Pens play with the same level of indifference (or so it appears) against this team that you have.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Look, no need to overthink it....our win streak was built on PDO and crazy stellar goaltending ...it was bound to come back to earth...if we can’t win when those normalize to just average or a little above average, then we have a problem, but it’s better to know that before the TDL....FLA game will be an interesting test to see if they win and how...FLA is a quick team but goaltending and D is suspect...we should be able to get some goals if we play with structure...if they abandon D to play a wide open game again, I’ll be worried...certainly can’t play that way and win in So Cal...
I don't think we are as bad a team that our record was indicative of earlier when we won one game in 10. And we're probably not as good as the eight game winning streak might suggest.

Now that we're done with Chicago however we might have a chance tuesday.

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
except we outplayed them 5v5. A few dumb penalties and bad special teams lost the game.
what do you mean by we outplayed them 5 on 5? Correct statement would be we outplayed them in the first period. The second was slightly tilted towards Chi then we just sucked in the third.

I am not saying they dominated us, but we attempted 6, let me repeat six shots in the third, that is not domination to say at least,

Reactions: Andy99

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Because I think we all know what kind of carnage would have occurred if we met them.

No we don't. Nashville had been beaten quite a few times in the playoffs by the Hawks and yet managed to sweep them. Following your logic they should have lost for sure. We should have beaten the Caps last season, etc.

I really don't see why this losing streak to the Hawks should be anything but a really minor irritation. Since it started we have won two Cups and made the playoffs every year, who cares to whom we lose in the regular season, honestly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->