Post-Game Talk: Blackhawks 5, Pens 3 | Welp ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
First off I care or I wouldn't be talking about it. Secondly, this is a thread to discuss this particular game, which happens to be against a team we've struggled mightily against. So my angst with in the context of this discussion is warranted. This doesn't mean we suck as a team. It just means against this particular team we do. Or at least have had results commensurate with that.

As far as if in some fantasy realm where by we'd play them in the post season, no, there's no guarantee we'd lose to them. But there is evidence suggesting we very well would. I'm aware there are different dynamics in the post season that can come into play. Having confidence however is a variable to consider. And I can't imagine we'd have much going into such a series.

If you care, ok. I don’t and my opinion remains the same: I can’t see why anyone would waste their time giving two left balls about it.

It’s a couple games a year agt a non conference team. When the Flyers had a massive win streak agt the Pens yrs back, that was different and I could see why that bothered people.

I’m also pretty sure having four of the best players in the world and a money goalie would give the Pens players plenty of confidence they could beat the Hawks or any other team in seven. Game planning and adjustments would be entirely different, and their desire to win would be ratcheted up completely.

If it bothers people they can’t get up for the Hawks a couple times a year like they do say, the Caps, then you kind of don’t get hockey is all I can honestly say. I’m 100% sure a meaningless regular season losing streak agt some random Western conference team is hardly a big deal to them.

Listening to Kane and other Hawks players over the years, beating the Pens is a big deal to them, whereas the Pens don’t seem to reciprocate the feeling.

It seems to be nothing more than a little annoyance to the Pens.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Is it because Bonino had playoff acumen?

Yes, of course.

Because Brassard has even more and while injured scored at a 27 point pace for us last year.

He had all of 4 points even though half of our games were against a Flyers team which was spectacularly bad defensively and in goal. As for his injury, he really isn't playing much different this season. Either his injury is still bothering him or her just isn't as good as he used to be. Neither of which is particularly good for our Stanley Cup hopes.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
What do we want from a 3C?

30 pt pace production? Brassard is doing it.
Showing some life? In his last 6 games Brassard has 3 goals and 1 assist.
Not being a defensive liability? Since the Pearson - Brassard - Kessel line has been put together they’ve been on the ice for one GA at ES. Simon - Malkin - Hornqvist have been on the ice for 4.

Grant they’ve been on the ice for 5 GF as a unit and P - B - K have been on the ice for 2 GF.

I just don’t get why we are acting like Brassard is losing us games.
I think it’s the overhyping of these players more than anything. Everyone was ranting and raving about Brassard and how the Pens would have the best center depth in the league and how his line would get the easier matchups and he would be racking up points left and right.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think it’s the overhyping of these players more than anything. Everyone was ranting and raving about Brassard and how the Pens would have the best center depth in the league and how his line would get the easier matchups and he would be racking up points left and right.

Did people think his points would be above the 40s? I mean, maybe. He certainly did that when he first came over.

I dunno. I think the Penguins still have the best center depth in the league. NBC was talking up Brassard all night.

I think people are just being way too hard on him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don’t know if that’s true though. Since being put on a consistent line Brassard has four goals in six games and he’s not hurting this roster.

I think expectations for Brassard were widely overrated. You do realize the Lowry’s and Cirelli’s of the world are producing at a similar rate and possession wise Brassard has been with Phil Kessel who is always a possession black hole.

My expectations for Brassard were higher than he has delivered. Some of that is likely unrealistic expectations, but some is definitely under performance.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Did people think his points would be above the 40s? I mean, maybe. He certainly did that when he first came over.

I dunno. I think the Penguins still have the best center depth in the league. NBC was talking up Brassard all night.

I think people are just being way too hard on him.

Right now, I'd give the slight edge to Toronto (JT, Matthews, Kadri) and Washington (Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eller). Both Kadri and Eller have outplayed Brass since he arrived here.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes, of course.

He had all of 4 points even though half of our games were against a Flyers team which was spectacularly bad defensively and in goal. As for his injury, he really isn't playing much different this season. Either his injury is still bothering him or her just isn't as good as he used to be. Neither of which is particularly good for our Stanley Cup hopes.

He also had his ice time knocked massively in the Flyers series. Judging by the fact he missed time I would not surprised if he tweaked his groin again.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
The team as a whole isn’t getting the production that Toronto and Washington are getting and that is where the frustrations and criticisms come from.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If you care, ok. I don’t and my opinion remains the same: I can’t see why anyone would waste their time giving two left balls about it.

It’s a couple games a year agt a non conference team. When the Flyers had a massive win streak agt the Pens yrs back, that was different and I could see why that bothered people.

I’m also pretty sure having four of the best players in the world and a money goalie would give the Pens players plenty of confidence they could beat the Hawks or any other team in seven. Game planning and adjustments would be entirely different, and their desire to win would be ratcheted up completely.

If it bothers people they can’t get up for the Hawks a couple times a year like they do say, the Caps, then you kind of don’t get hockey is all I can honestly say. I’m 100% sure a meaningless regular season losing streak agt some random Western conference team is hardly a big deal to them.

Listening to Kane and other Hawks players over the years, beating the Pens is a big deal to them, whereas the Pens don’t seem to reciprocate the feeling.

It seems to be nothing more than a little annoyance to the Pens.
To suggest I don't understand hockey is really funny. I mean really really hilarious. I know quite a bit about these things actually. Likely more than you. And it's very curious to me that one team gets up for such games and another doesn't. Or maybe they're in our heads so much it appears that way. Because anyone who understands ''hockey'' would know that losing that often and in some games getting obliterated, isn't something that such athletes take lightly. But then again that's something you should know. If you understand hockey that is.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Right now, I'd give the slight edge to Toronto (JT, Matthews, Kadri) and Washington (Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eller). Both Kadri and Eller have outplayed Brass since he arrived here.

Also TB, with Stamkos, Point and Johnson....although I think they’re playing Cirelli at 3C at the moment...

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Also TB, with Stamkos, Point and Johnson....although I think they’re playing Cirelli at 3C at the moment...

Yes, I forgot about the Lightning. So really Sid and Geno are the main reason the Pens can still skate with the top teams. Sheahan and Cullen have gotten better as the season has gone, but Brassard REALLY needs to get his act together.

Reactions: Andy99

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Good thing he’s got effort on his LW and consistency on his RW to prop him up..

Well of course. My point is that Brassard is the weak link up front. If he ever takes his game to another level, and it doesn't have to be a super high level, then this team is set up front.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well of course. My point is that Brassard is the weak link up front. If he ever takes his game to another level, and it doesn't have to be a super high level, then this team is set up front.

I mean, even Malkin being Malkin and Kessel playing like he cares a little more often would do wonders. Notice how Kessel being good the 1st and 2nd period last night helped Brassard look really good than Pearson takes an o-zone penalty and we lose.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
what do you mean by we outplayed them 5 on 5? Correct statement would be we outplayed them in the first period. The second was slightly tilted towards Chi then we just sucked in the third.

I am not saying they dominated us, but we attempted 6, let me repeat six shots in the third, that is not domination to say at least,
I never said dominate.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
To suggest I don't understand hockey is really funny. I mean really really hilarious. I know quite a bit about these things actually. Likely more than you. And it's very curious to me that one team gets up for such games and another doesn't. Or maybe they're in our heads so much it appears that way. Because anyone who understands ''hockey'' would know that losing that often and in some games getting obliterated, isn't something that such athletes take lightly. But then again that's something you should know. If you understand hockey that is.

I’m pretty secure in how much I know champ, but if you want to pretend you know more because you think this losing streak bothers them, go for it.

I’m 100% sure this streak bothers you WAY more than them. I doubt they even care. If that bothers you well, that’s more a you issue than anything TBTH.

Not a single loss in this streak has cost them a playoff spot or a Stanley cup, but for some reason it bothers people... silliness.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’m pretty secure in how much I know champ, but if you want to pretend you know more because you think this losing streak bothers them, go for it.

I’m 100% sure this streak bothers you WAY more than them. I doubt they even care. If that bothers you well, that’s more a you issue than anything TBTH.

Not a single loss in this streak has cost them a playoff spot or a Stanley cup, but for some reason it bothers people... silliness.
I'm not pretending anything. LOL

I'm very confident on what I know as well. But to act as if any professional athlete doesn't care about being the bitch of another team this much and for this long. Well, that's absurd and it's a baseless argument. Crosby is one of the most competitive guys to lace up the skates. I can't imagine that losing 10 in a row to one team is something that sits well with him or anyone. No player and no team would be happy to be owned by another. Irregardless of conference or positioning in the standings. Pro athletes have pride, or at least most of them do.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I mean, even Malkin being Malkin and Kessel playing like he cares a little more often would do wonders. Notice how Kessel being good the 1st and 2nd period last night helped Brassard look really good than Pearson takes an o-zone penalty and we lose.

Totally. I was just elaborating on the centre position. Overall, Brass could stand to be better, but the defense might be the bigger issue going forward.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm not pretending anything. LOL

I'm very confident on what I know as well. But to act as if any professional athlete doesn't care about being the ***** of another team this much and for this long. Well, that's absurd and it's a baseless argument. Crosby is one of the most competitive guys to lace up the skates. I can't imagine that losing 10 in a row to one team is something that sits well with him or anyone. No player and no team would be happy to be owned by another. Irregardless of conference or positioning in the standings. Pro athletes have pride, or at least most of them do.

Sitting well with them and them making a big deal where they care like you do are two entirely different things. Crosby has not lost a playoff spot or cup because of the Hawks, and winning championships is what he cares about.

You are simply projecting some weird shame as a fan and think it reflects on you, so you are all upset about some streak that literally has zero meaningful effect on this team.

Those loses have had absolutely zero consequences for the Pens. Wasting time caring about it is bonkers.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sitting well with them and them making a big deal where they care like you do are two entirely different things. Crosby has not lost a playoff spot or cup because of the Hawks, and winning championships is what he cares about.

You are simply projecting some weird shame as a fan and think it reflects on you, so you are all upset about some streak that literally has zero meaningful effect on this team.

Those loses have had absolutely zero consequences for the Pens. Wasting time caring about it is bonkers.
I never said it had a long lasting ramifications or in the bigger picture, did I? I'm merely speaking to idea that the Pens are seemingly indifferent, as if Chicago cares and we don't is faulty at best. Maybe it's easier to accept losing 10 in a row as a coping mechanism for some. You know, because if we're trying to win these games, well then that would actually be embarrassing.

To be clear, in the bigger picture this doesn't derail much of anything. But against this team, and again we're discussing this game, it's pretty disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad