Movies: Black Widow - heading to Disney +

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Decent opening weekend considering the situation. Huge in Israel, UK and China?

I saw it with my friend in one of Stockholms biggest cinemas. We were all alone in a room with 400+ seats. Kinda felt bad that we didn't buy our snacks at the cinema.

Hasn’t been released in China yet!

Our showing was pretty sparse but it was 4:30 on a Friday. When we got out the theater lobby was filling up. We were in a place where you choose your seats, maybe 35% full. Of course somehow of all of the empty seats some random old man who liked to talk (and fell asleep twice) sat right next to my wife and I. Literally no one else for six seats.

Reactions: mattihp

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I'll watch anything with Florence Pugh. I just love her deep, husky voice and am totally excited for a deep Russian accent.

Reactions: Fripp

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We did love this movie despite what comes next. It was a worthy add the to the MCU. However, I was really hoping it would be more of a spy thriller though. I don't feel that the family aspect landed as well as the filmmakers had hoped. Harbour's character landed nicely as the comedic relief, the fast pace never fully established the mother character as well as it should have. This should have been a slower spy based movie, IMO. While I have no regrets for splitting a 35$ cost between 3 groups, I think there was way more potential than what we saw. It was a solid film, but it didn't hit the marks it should have IMO. I think Widow's "sister" might be a great add to the MCU. Between this and Falcon+Winter Soldier I can't wait to see where Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Valentina character goes though, feels like a "shadow" Avengers? What could that mean? Kinda sucks that the biggest takeaway, IMO, is where is US Agent and Widow Sister are going.

Reactions: Kurtz

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
We did love this movie despite what comes next. It was a worthy add the to the MCU. However, I was really hoping it would be more of a spy thriller though. I don't feel that the family aspect landed as well as the filmmakers had hoped. Harbour's character landed nicely as the comedic relief, the fast pace never fully established the mother character as well as it should have. This should have been a slower spy based movie, IMO. While I have no regrets for splitting a 35$ cost between 3 groups, I think there was way more potential than what we saw. It was a solid film, but it didn't hit the marks it should have IMO. I think Widow's "sister" might be a great add to the MCU. Between this and Falcon+Winter Soldier I can't wait to see where Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Valentina character goes though, feels like a "shadow" Avengers? What could that mean? Kinda sucks that the biggest takeaway, IMO, is where is US Agent and Widow Sister are going.
Valentina is likely collecting the MCU's Dark Avengers. Perhaps hammer will be their Iron Man?

I expected more of a spy thriller, this movie did explain too much in text instead of subtext.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
OK, now that I've taken the 2 week comprehensive course on adding spoiler tags I can offer a little more of a review.

The biggest failing of this film is in its refusal to address the question "Do the ends justify the means?" Many villains of the MCU, from Killmonger to Thanos to HYDRA operative Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford), have espoused this worldview, and it has necessarily made them villainous to the audience and to the heroes of the story. Here, Black Widow would have been one of the best characters to explore this philosophical question from the point of view of a hero, but the film simply pushed that narrative away. We learn in the first Avengers movie that Nat killed her tormentor's daughter in order to free the slaves of the Red Room and stop the global cabal of human trafficking. Rather than show Nat suffering from the weight of this decision in her titular film, the movie instead focuses on her yearning for a family and a sense of belonging.

The thing is, Taskmaster is an excellent mirror/foil to Natasha here, since her dad is a bona fide villain and Taskmaster herself never really had a family, and was victim to Black Widow’s attack. When the film finally set up a chance for Taskmaster and Black Widow to answer the philosophical question at hand, they simply had Taskmaster shrug off her wounds, tacitly forgive Natasha, and make a quick comment that she was glad her birth father was dead. There was no exploration of Taskmaster or her complex moral dilemma that she was now facing as a newly-freed woman facing the woman who nearly killed her and scarred her for life. Instead she just hops in a helicopter full of strangers, abandoning the obvious trust-issues that she would be harboring, and flies off into the sunset. Not much an ending for this character and the film really didn’t do her justice.

Finally, in the scene I alluded to before, Natasha and her sister caused a huge avalanche that killed an untold number of prisoners, security guards, and prison personnel. At the very least, they opened fire on a bunch of prison guards with small arms fire before Yelena literally fried a bunch of them with an RPG. This means that their plan going in was to kill people whose only crime is working a job in Siberia to feed their families. All of this was so that the “heroes” could free their “Dad” to give them another chance at killing Taskmaster and taking down the Red Room. Do the ends really justify the means here? I don’t know, because the film didn’t dive deep enough into this dilemma to give us a real chance to explore it.

Like I said though, this was a good film. I’m way more excited about the finale of Loki than I was for this movie, but overall it slides nicely into an average or above-average MCU film. Certainly better than recent stand-alone entries like Ant-Man and the Wasp and Captain Marvel.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It felt great to be back in theaters that's for sure. And to watch a Marvel movie again no less.

I thought it was decent. About what I expected. For me I was never a huge fan of Black Widow so I didn't particularly care for this movie all that much. Her story just isn't all that interesting to me and I didn't think the movie did anything to make it more interesting either.

But again I'm not really saying it was bad. It was fine. And just being back in the theater was enough for me to be happy about it.

The post credit scene was certainly interesting though. It doesn't feel like Valentina is up to anything good with whatever she has planned.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I liked it, first time I went to the movies with a group of friends since pre-covid (saw Bill and Ted, Raya and the Last Dragon, and Godzilla vs Kong all with one other person). My one friend wouldn't quit bitching about how much he didn't like it though.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't get the cineplex website up here. I keep trying to order tickets for the movie this weekend but every time I go on their site and pick the theater by me it tells me it is closed even if I try dates starting or past July 16th.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I get her sisters dead and that really hurts, but jeez, not like Hawkeye killed her for fun. He literally did it to save the universe.

Also wonder if the Countess will have any sort of crossover with Walker and Yelena?

& Red Guardian with the Captain America stories.... :facepalm:

I can't stop thinking about how Nat was able to get off retribution for violating the Sokovia accords. You let Ross capture you, then the movie just goes 2 weeks later, Nat is with the guy who hooks her up with shit, she leaves in a plane that he got her. So Nat didn't have to serve 2 years in house arrest like other violators (Ant Man / Clint)? What gives?

That being said I'm going to give this movie a glowing review. Maybe it was the first movie in theaters I saw since Far From Home whenever that was. But seeing a pretty packed (not 100% but mostly packed) theater again watch the film and laugh at the various Marvel comedic moments peppered into the film, I give it a 8/10. Yelena and Red Guardian were great.

Decent way to spend 2 hours.

Guessing because she had Dreykovs files and over the years of him employing assassins/spies, there was probably some juicy stuff in there. + she gave Ross all the info he needed to track down every Black Widow and probably save a lot of lives.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The details are public knowledge.

The details according to the one person who was there? If you think about that story, told only by Clint, from the perspective of anyone who doesn't know him.... there are definitely elements of it that could seem suspect.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The details according to the one person who was there? If you think about that story, told only by Clint, from the perspective of anyone who doesn't know him.... there are definitely elements of it that could seem suspect.
Even if you trust Clint.. Losing a loved one would still blame him for being alive.

Reactions: Tawnos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad