Movies: Black Widow - heading to Disney +

Sep 19, 2008
I can't stop thinking about how Nat was able to get off retribution for violating the Sokovia accords. You let Ross capture you, then the movie just goes 2 weeks later, Nat is with the guy who hooks her up with shit, she leaves in a plane that he got her. So Nat didn't have to serve 2 years in house arrest like other violators (Ant Man / Clint)? What gives?

That being said I'm going to give this movie a glowing review. Maybe it was the first movie in theaters I saw since Far From Home whenever that was. But seeing a pretty packed (not 100% but mostly packed) theater again watch the film and laugh at the various Marvel comedic moments peppered into the film, I give it a 8/10. Yelena and Red Guardian were great.

Decent way to spend 2 hours.

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I actually really enjoyed it, thought it was worth the wait. Lots of action, some classic Marvel humor.

Only quip I have :
I wish we had more Taskmaster, felt like "he" was under utilized

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It was alright. Definitely in the more spy-ish/Winter Soldier-esque vein (not surprising). Lots of exposition scenes. Not as much fun as the Thor Ragnarok or Infinity War, and not as substantiative as actual spy thrillers. But still better than the bulk of phase 2 stuff and a worthy way to spend a couple hours.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
‘Black Widow’ Catching $40M+ Friday On Way To Potential $90M+ – Deadline

It looks like Black Windows is heading to a pretty big weekend. Estimate is around $90M.

Given many people are still hesitant to go out, and some places, like Ontario, not even open for theatres, that's pretty big. By far the largest of the pandemic, and, honestly, not far off from what it might have made pre pandemic.

Its potentially a good sign for the return of movie theatres, but, it could also signal that only the biggest franchises will continue to draw people in.

For myself, I was considering streaming it, but, with theatres opening in a week in Ontario, I may check it out in theatres.

Reactions: John Price

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Solid film, I think it's probably somewhere in the 7-12 range of Marvel movies so far. Quite polished minus some late-CGI scenes in the final 20. The Spy stuff feels good and they kinda hit the jackpot with the four actors here (Weisz/Johansson/Harbour/Pugh). In fact Johansson might be the weakest of the bunch but maybe that's cos we're already familiar with her character.

I do think the timing of the release and the run of other Marvel films recently makes this one seem weaker than it is. It's a solid movie on its own, best of the big-budget Blockbusters since the pandemic started which I guess isn't that hard to do when the competition is mediocre films like Cruella, The Tomorrow War, and Tenet.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyFan

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s a clever bridge between Civil War and Infinity War.

I enjoyed it - I feel like it’s a good counterpoint to the zany and the cosmic.

I’m glad BW got her own film because I’d felt that she was under-utilized as a character and it’s nice to see some emotional scenes in a superhero film with solid acting chops.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
"Mitä me tehään nyt?"

FINNS RUSH TO THE MARKETPLACE!

I quite enjoyed this. John Campea wasn't wrong when he said the family elements were the best part. A very solid 8½/10 for me. I have no real attachment to Taskmaster, his introduction was and still is the only comic I've seen him so...meh. We might still see the character in the future. Post-credit scene though... :( :eek:

Yelena roasting Natasha for her "fight posing" were the best parts. :laugh:

Last edited:

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
I enjoyed it, was surprised at how many were in the cinema at 4pm on a Friday, casting was excellent, not completely sold on Ray Winston.

End credits did what it always does and creates anticipation for what’s coming next.

Some questions which I’ll save for a later point since I don’t want to drop spoilers and rewatching might answer them for me.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
I was always iffy about a black widow movie...not because I didnt want one, but because to really tell her back story it would need to be super dark and probably R rated, which marvel wasnt going to do. They had done a decent job to this point hinting to the true darkness of her past and the red room...but I worried they would come up short in a movie.

I have to say, that opening credit sequence was brilliant. It was truly haunting yet subtle...but communicated everything the audience needed to know about the red room. They couldnt give us the dark movie about it...but that sequence left me feeling like such a movie wouldve. Genius.

Overall solid movie. Not top tier mcu but far from the bottom.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
SPOILERS

It was definitely enjoyable but sloppy and underwritten. I have a hard time giving this a high rating because of some of the issues I personally had with it. First, the action overshadowed the underdeveloped story too much, and arguably unnecessarily. The story had some very interesting subject matter that they just barely scratched the surface on. I don't know if this story should have been an extra 20-30minutes longer to iron out everything necessary or cut back on the action, but all the personal and psychological issues and even backstories of the side characters and Natasha herself were just slapped together in a fast forward manner and truly didn't get the justice or explanation they deserved. Even the red circle didn't truly get a background of how girls are chosen and treated from beginning to end. It was sloppy. 2nd, some of the CGI mashing was Green Lantern bad. There were about a handful of scenes where you can clearly see a person go from being a person to being an animatedly fluid screen character. When we aren't dealing with Godzilla or King Kong or Transformers, that's kind of unforgivable in an action movie, especially one that cost $200 million to make. Thirdly, Johansson was out acted by Pugh and less interesting than all the other side characters. Yelena spent almost her entire life brainwashed and who's only moments of clarity, joy, and personal relationships in her life was as a child with a 'fake' spy family. What type of trauma and pain and backstory and awakening to an outside world is she going through, all slammed onto in a moment's notice no less. Red Guardian must have a fruitful history, including a vast amount wartime and battle experience and a likely interesting sequence that caused him to end up in prison. Melina, the most underutilized side character, or the Iron Maiden, might be the most intriguing character of them all: groundbreaking neuroscientist, experienced spy and red room descendant, future or past enemy of the black widow per the comics, and the only side character that has been actively working with the red room, and cognizantly so, continually for the last 30-40years. And Scarlett, only crux being that she is on the run after Age of Ultron, is the main character and main focus here? That's a mistake. This standalone "origin" story for Black Widow turned into a disctracting side show and introduction of her "family". It personally didn't do Johansson's character the avenger origin/backstory it deserved if that was the true purpose, which I thought was because they killed her future off in the MCU. Thirdly, the villains. You can't underdevelop or underutilize villains in a superhero movie or the "good vs evil battle" loses weight and suspense. Taskmaster was underused and ultimately just became a plot twist and Dreykov barely gets screen time and his biggest on screen feat is pheromone defense? Really? Lastly, I'm nitpicking but I believe every single action seen in this movie was in one of the couple major trailers that were put out by the studio, some even had a few spoiler Easter eggs, some big spoilers to the sequence of the movie.

That said, it's fun popcorn entertainment, and on a popcorn entertainment level it gives your brain more to think about than it has to between the actions sequences and jokes. All depends on how you look at this movie and what you want out of it. I'm happy it's going to have great box office success though and hopefully push production companies to gamble on more mid and bigger budget movies going forward during this corona pandemic age. I personally just felt like it was messy and made too many mistakes with it's on screen product. If it really wanted to go this family introduction route, it should have went full bore with a different title/non-character specific title and truly filled in the blanks and developed the deep intriguing characters and villains it threw at you in snap neck speed.

Fripp

Sep 6, 2005
Portland, OR
SPOILERS

It was definitely enjoyable but sloppy and underwritten. I have a hard time giving this a high rating because of some of the issues I personally had with it. First, the action overshadowed the underdeveloped story too much, and arguably unnecessarily. The story had some very interesting subject matter that they just barely scratched the surface on. I don't know if this story should have been an extra 20-30minutes longer to iron out everything necessary or cut back on the action, but all the personal and psychological issues and even backstories of the side characters and Natasha herself were just slapped together in a fast forward manner and truly didn't get the justice or explanation they deserved. Even the red circle didn't truly get a background of how girls are chosen and treated from beginning to end. It was sloppy. 2nd, some of the CGI mashing was Green Lantern bad. There were about a handful of scenes where you can clearly see a person go from being a person to being an animatedly fluid screen character. When we aren't dealing with Godzilla or King Kong or Transformers, that's kind of unforgivable in an action movie, especially one that cost $200 million to make. Thirdly, Johansson was out acted by Pugh and less interesting than all the other side characters. Yelena spent almost her entire life brainwashed and who's only moments of clarity, joy, and personal relationships in her life was as a child with a 'fake' spy family. What type of trauma and pain and backstory and awakening to an outside world is she going through, all slammed onto in a moment's notice no less. Red Guardian must have a fruitful history, including a vast amount wartime and battle experience and a likely interesting sequence that caused him to end up in prison. Melina, the most underutilized side character, or the Iron Maiden, might be the most intriguing character of them all: groundbreaking neuroscientist, experienced spy and red room descendant, future or past enemy of the black widow per the comics, and the only side character that has been actively working with the red room, and cognizantly so, continually for the last 30-40years. And Scarlett, only crux being that she is on the run after Age of Ultron, is the main character and main focus here? That's a mistake. This standalone "origin" story for Black Widow turned into a disctracting side show and introduction of her "family". It personally didn't do Johansson's character the avenger origin/backstory it deserved if that was the true purpose, which I thought was because they killed her future off in the MCU. Thirdly, the villains. You can't underdevelop or underutilize villains in a superhero movie or the "good vs evil battle" loses weight and suspense. Taskmaster was underused and ultimately just became a plot twist and Dreykov barely gets screen time and his biggest on screen feat is pheromone defense? Really? Lastly, I'm nitpicking but I believe every single action seen in this movie was in one of the couple major trailers that were put out by the studio, some even had a few spoiler Easter eggs, some big spoilers to the sequence of the movie.

That said, it's fun popcorn entertainment, and on a popcorn entertainment level it gives your brain more to think about than it has to between the actions sequences and jokes. All depends on how you look at this movie and what you want out of it. I'm happy it's going to have great box office success though and hopefully push production companies to gamble on more mid and bigger budget movies going forward during this corona pandemic age. I personally just felt like it was messy and made too many mistakes with it's on screen product. If it really wanted to go this family introduction route, it should have went full bore with a different title/non-character specific title and truly filled in the blanks and developed the deep intriguing characters and villains it threw at you in snap neck speed.
Agreed with all your points here. A swing and a miss, for me, due to everything being underdeveloped. At no point did I feel a connection with any character.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
SPOILERS

It's ironic that early in the film, Natasha is watching Moonraker in her trailer cause Dreykov was a typical one note Bond villain.

Dreykov is just an "evil white man" who "abuses/murders little girls" just cause he can with no explanation or backstory.

Totally agree with you that Johansson was out acted by Pugh.

I found Yelena far more interesting and honestly I'm glad to see Pugh take over the Black Widow mantle in the MCU.

I thought Red Guardian was funny, but, he is Russia's "Captain America" and shouldn't be made to look like a buffoon.

I really didn't like when Red Guardian asked Natasha if Captain America spoke about him like some devoted fangirl.

A Russian military man like Red Guardian would not give a damn what Captain America thought of him.

I watched it on Disney Plus and loved the experience!

No lineup, food & drinks were cheaper, can pause the movie to go to the bathroom and I can watch it whenever I want.

I hope they keep offering first run movies on Disney Plus because it was way better than going to a cinema.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I now have 3 movies tied for MCU’s best movie :

1. CA : The Winter Soldier, Avengers Infinity War and Black Widow
2. Thor Ragnarok
You must have REALLY loved BW. I enjoyed it, partly because I love the franchise in general and the more the merrier for me. I would put it In like, the 7-9 range, personally.

I honestly expected less though for some reason. But it was a good flick.

Also - I love being in the comfort of my own home where I can lean back on my recliner and pause/start a movie as much as I like while having the peace of mind and freedom of scratching my balls, but nothing beats the movies experience. Giant tub of popcorn, sour patch kids, and more diabetic deliciousness in the form of goobers.

It’s worth it IMO.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
You must have REALLY loved BW. I enjoyed it, partly because I love the franchise in general and the more the merrier for me. I would put it In like, the 7-9 range, personally.

I honestly expected less though for some reason. But it was a good flick.

Also - I love being in the comfort of my own home where I can lean back on my recliner and pause/start a movie as much as I like while having the peace of mind and freedom of scratching my balls, but nothing beats the movies experience. Giant tub of popcorn, sour patch kids, and more diabetic deliciousness in the form of goobers.

It’s worth it IMO.
I really did
The action was amazing, the documentary like footage of girls being abducted, the family stuff, the acting
It was well written, acted and executed imho

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Pretty good flick, not amazing.

Language was.. interesting. The "norwegian" radio news was in a heavy American accent and no upwards pitch in the end, so it sounded like swedish with Norwegian words.

The swedish "Jag förföljer" would also never be spoken, "Jag följer efter" would be more accurate.

The movie was dumbed down sometimes, the two flashbacks whilst on the Red Room were completely unnecessary. It didn't need to be explained that way. I expected there to be some bigger twist slso, but it was an enjoyable albeit sometimes predictable movie.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Really good movie to give my wife and I an excuse to go to the theater for the first time since 1917 (the movie, not the year).

It was nice to see Black Widow get her due, and Florence Pugh was incredible as both a wise cracking foil and as a legitimate, emotionally scarred heroine.

2 biggest complaints: the villain was there just to ...be a villain. He had no real motivation and I don't know how to use spoiler tags, but his "defense" against Black Widow was so contrived and the solution was equally as absurd. Secondly, the "heroes" of the movie sure killed a whole lot of innocent people during one scene and that wasn't addressed at all in the film.

But honestly, it fits the Marvel shtick perfectly and as an MCU fanboy it was nice to see our heroes up on the big screen.

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
about $218M opening weekend, $80M in theaters in North America and $60M from Disney+ and other online sources.

Reactions: bh53

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
about $218M opening weekend, $80M in theaters in North America and $60M from Disney+ and other online sources.
Decent opening weekend considering the situation. Huge in Israel, UK and China?

I saw it with my friend in one of Stockholms biggest cinemas. We were all alone in a room with 400+ seats. Kinda felt bad that we didn't buy our snacks at the cinema.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad