Movies: Black Widow - heading to Disney +

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Releasing on both platforms was the responsible thing to do, but, they do have an obligation to anyone involved where compensation was based on box office gross. I expect a settlement will be forthcoming.
Her reps claim she lost close to $50 million on the back end. I would sue too.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Here comes the online smear campaign against the actress now. It's just business when the corporation does it but it's 'vindictiveness' when it's a person.

I'm not quite sure why Disney didn't do the easy thing though and just settle instead of getting the bad publicity but then again hubris is a thing when you get away with it for so long.

It is actually pretty simple why they are acting this way:

They have other movies that will be released that way. Actors in these movies probably have similar contracts to Scarlett Johansson. If they settle with her, they admit wrong-doing and they will have to compensate all the other actors. It would be the right thing to do, but they won't do it because it affects their bottom line. However, I fully expect them to include Premiere Access streaming in their new contracts, probably at a reduced percentage.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It is actually pretty simple why they are acting this way:

They have other movies that will be released that way. Actors in these movies probably have similar contracts to Scarlett Johansson. If they settle with her, they admit wrong-doing and they will have to compensate all the other actors. It would be the right thing to do, but they won't do it because it affects their bottom line. However, I fully expect them to include Premiere Access streaming in their new contracts, probably at a reduced percentage.

I think Jungle Cruise is supposed to be the last one. Shang-Chi will have a 45 day window.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Apparently that's based on the premise of the movie making one billion and the complaint claims it didn't because of the PA which is ludicrous.

It's not that ludicrous of a claim to make.

Only 1 Marvel movie since 2017 didnt break 100m in the opening week (Far From Home at 92m)

The lowest box office for a Marvel movie since 2017 is 850m (Ragnarok in 2017)

The last 3 solo hero movies have all eclipsed 1b in revenue (Black Panther, Far From Home, Captain Marvel).

At the very least you have to say 850m is the revenue floor with no streaming and 1b is a legitimate claim to make

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Only 1 Marvel movie since 2017 didnt break 100m in the opening week (Far From Home at 92m)

The last 3 solo hero movies have all eclipsed 1b in revenue (Black Panther, Far From Home, Captain Marvel).

At the very least you have to say 850m is the revenue floor with no streaming and 1b is a legitimate claim to make

It is, when you consider Covid still rampant and no China release. Without Covid and with a China release, one billion was possible.

Reactions: kingsfan28

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

And as any lawyer or person negotiating will tell you, you start high and work from there while Disney will start low.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Apparently that's based on the premise of the movie making one billion and the complaint claims it didn't because of the PA which is ludicrous.

She thinks that HER stand alone movie will clear 1 billion is just laughable. The reason the others did so well is because it was with an Avenger cast to he carry it. The biggest take by a stand alone character is between 300-430 mil with Captain Marvel at the top. Black Widow at best , due to the pandemic and all, should expect about that. Hell, Disney + brought in 60 mil alone, she wasn't getting that without the streaming service. There's no way that flick is going to pull the money she thinks it will.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Without the international Box office, you're not going to pull in the numbers she suggest, especially with China not open at all. Look at what Captain Marvel did overseas Without a pandemic closing most theaters. It's impossible to pull those numbers with either zero or half capacity, something she doesn't seem to understand.
Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 11.41.16 AM.png

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
She thinks that HER stand alone movie will clear 1 billion is just laughable. The reason the others did so well is because it was with an Avenger cast to he carry it. The biggest take by a stand alone character is between 300-430 mil with Captain Marvel at the top. Black Widow at best , due to the pandemic and all, should expect about that. Hell, Disney + brought in 60 mil alone, she wasn't getting that without the streaming service. There's no way that flick is going to pull the money she thinks it will.

The argument here is that the movie income came in much lower due to the film being released on DIsney+ at the exact same time. As for the $1B number I am pretty sure that is not NA box only in their calculation but the international gross also.

Reactions: Jussi

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
She'll probably get a settlement but it will come at a significant cost.
What cost? She is not part of the MCU anymore so...

Also maybe she won't settle...

The haymakers have continued Friday when Johansson’s agency, Creative Artists Agency, released a statement firing back. “I want to address the Walt Disney Company’s statement that was issued in response to the lawsuit filed against them yesterday by our client Scarlett Johansson,” Bryan Lourd, co-chairman of the Creative Artists Agency, said in a statement obtained by Variety. “They have shamelessly and falsely accused Ms. Johansson of being insensitive to the global COVID pandemic, in an attempt to make her appear to be someone they and I know she isn’t.”
“Scarlett has been Disney’s partner on nine movies, which have earned Disney and its shareholders billions,” Lourd continued. “The company included her salary in their press statement in an attempt to weaponize her success as an artist and businesswoman, as if that were something she should be ashamed of. Scarlett is extremely proud of the work that she, and all of the actors, writers, directors, producers, and the Marvel creative team have been a part of for well over a decade...This suit was filed as a result of Disney’s decision to knowingly violate Scarlett’s contract. They have very deliberately moved the revenue stream and profits to the Disney+ side of the company, leaving artistic and financial partners out of their new equation. That’s it, pure and simple. Disney’s direct attack on her character and all else they implied is beneath the company that many of us in the creative community have worked with successfully for decades.”
In case you don’t remember Disney’s statement Lourd is referring to, here it is in full: “There is no merit whatsoever to this filing. The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson’s contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date.”

Supposedly Emma Stone is now considering a lawsuit of her own for Cruella which had the same thing happen to it.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com

What other Avenger was in Black Panther?

Reactions: discostu

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Excellent article.

According to the suit filed by the actress, “At the time the Agreement was entered, it was well understood by the parties and Disney that a ‘theatrical release’ referred to an exclusive release in theatres for an extended period of time that was roughly 90-120 days. With the exception of certain less-valuable, direct-to-video releases, it has long been custom and practice in the film industry for feature films to have at least a 90-day exclusive theatrical release before they are released on home video.”

The problem is that the contract doesn’t explicitly say “exclusive,” and as far as industry custom and what was understood by the parties, that was before a pandemic disrupted pretty much everything.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Watched a business video on this lawsuit and it was only lawyers talking, so it was dry, dull and boring. But in general, it will come down to how her contract was written and two of the lawyers who rep actors who have worked for disney said if she had the same contract that the other actors had, she has a valid complaint over the fact that Disney undermined the contract she had signed in their release of it on Dinsey+ since streaming services have been factored into contracts for a few years now(actors do not get royalties from streaming services just like music artist do not get royalties from legal music streaming services unless they own the publishing rights)

She took a lower up front money for a back end pts on the theater release---PPV or VOD would not have been factored into it.

This lawsuit could have far-reaching affects as it goes along

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Watched a business video on this lawsuit and it was only lawyers talking, so it was dry, dull and boring. But in general, it will come down to how her contract was written and two of the lawyers who rep actors who have worked for disney said if she had the same contract that the other actors had, she has a valid complaint over the fact that Disney undermined the contract she had signed in their release of it on Dinsey+ since streaming services have been factored into contracts for a few years now(actors do not get royalties from streaming services just like music artist do not get royalties from legal music streaming services unless they own the publishing rights)

She took a lower up front money for a back end pts on the theater release---PPV or VOD would not have been factored into it.

This lawsuit could have far-reaching affects as it goes along

The post above yours and the article I linked.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The argument here is that the movie income came in much lower due to the film being released on DIsney+ at the exact same time. As for the $1B number I am pretty sure that is not NA box only in their calculation but the international gross also.

I'm not sure those 2 million who streamed it so far would've gone into a theater to see it had it not been put on Disney + during the continuing pandemic. I wouldn't have. She seems to make the assumption that her movie would've crushed even with theaters at less than half capacity. There's no way you can pull in those numbers or dollars right now, and maybe I' ve missed it, but her team of lawyers haven't addressed this at all. So is it about her not making enough money during an ongoing crisis , or because Disney streamed it to maximize their profits and she won't be getting enough of that? Her contract mentions nothing about streaming pay to watch, only VOD and rentals after a 90-120 day window.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not sure those 2 million who streamed it so far would've gone into a theater to see it had it not been put on Disney + during the continuing pandemic. I wouldn't have. She seems to make the assumption that her movie would've crushed even with theaters at less than half capacity. There's no way you can pull in those numbers or dollars right now, and maybe I' ve missed it, but her team of lawyers haven't addressed this at all. So is it about her not making enough money during an ongoing crisis , or because Disney streamed it to maximize their profits and she won't be getting enough of that? Her contract mentions nothing about streaming pay to watch, only VOD and rentals after a 90-120 day window.

Neither would I.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England

Is it 2 million people or accounts that have streamed it. You can have up to 4 people (or households) per account so the number who have actually seen it through Disney+ could be significantly higher.

That and you would also be able to get high def perfect pirated versions within hours of the release because of it.

Disney plus wasn’t launched at the time of the film being announced, so I’m not sure how well the argument of saying streaming is different to VOD will work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad