Post-Game Talk: Bitten

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Right, Buchnevich didn't really break out per se on the Blues.

He was elite on the Rangers his last couple of seasons. He just moved to PP1 on the Blues.
And the sad part is there's been a huge hole and a continued effort to try to replace him. Which made the team worse and cost them tons of draft capital and assets. Horrible.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

He was elite on the Rangers his last couple of seasons. He just moved to PP1 on the Blues.

Different regime, but JT Miller is another example. NYR org have a really bad track record of understanding what good 5 on 5 scoring looks like and how the PP influences raw totals.

So does the media (the 'breakout' and 'maturity' stories with zero statistical context are nauseating) and the fanbase, but they are entitled to more of a pass.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I want to preface this by saying that I don't hate Zib and hope he re-discovers his passion.

BUT

Lavi is voluntarily giving up his authority in that room if he doesn't bench Zibanejad for a game. Late in the game, Zib bumped into a ref behind out net and, AGAIN, stopped playing to turn around and complain to that ref (presumably for being in the way). It was egregious when he did it a few weeks back (when his back was turned to the OT GWG that the other team scored while Zib was complaining to the ref).

Zib needs to learn, or rather re-learn, to play to the damn whistle. Sit him down for a game, rip the A off his sweater, whatever sends that message, but this bullshit needs to stop. He should have been benched the last time he did this. He has to be benched this time.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I want to preface this by saying that I don't hate Zib and hope he re-discovers his passion.

BUT

Lavi is voluntarily giving up his authority in that room if he doesn't bench Zibanejad for a game. Late in the game, Zib bumped into a ref behind out net and, AGAIN, stopped playing to turn around and complain to that ref (presumably for being in the way). It was egregious when he did it a few weeks back (when his back was turned to the OT GWG that the other team scored while Zib was complaining to the ref).

Zib needs to learn, or rather re-learn, to play to the damn whistle. Sit him down for a game, rip the A off his sweater, whatever sends that message, but this bullshit needs to stop. He should have been benched the last time he did this. He has to be benched this time.

There are not enough NHL coaches in the world to cycle through that can remove the stench of a country club atmosphere from that locker room. Each one comes in a caters to the “leaders” to various levels.

Reactions: smoneil

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
There are not enough NHL coaches in the world to cycle through that can remove the stench of a country club atmosphere from that locker room. Each one comes in a caters to the “leaders” to various levels.

There's country club and there's this nonsense (which I think is worse). When I coached, I always told my kids that seeing the other team yell at the ref (or yell at each other) was the clearest indication that we were going to win. Because it showed that the players on the other team didn't have their heads focused on the game. That's been Zib this whole damn season. If he doesn't want to focus on the game, he can go upstairs and watch it for a night.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

BUT

Laviolette does look a little weak continuing with the Mika/Kreider bromance. I dont think either guy needs to be benched but to not even break them up for a game is silly at this point.

My hope and expectation is that post deadline the coaching staff will have 2 more NHL forwards and will feel more comfortable moving guys around.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I love the kid, but Rempes penalty in the offensive zone that led to Florida tying the game on the PP was a bad penalty to take. Changed the momentum of the game. Kid has to play smarter.
If you want aggressive hitting this goes along with the territory. He's actually been good at throwing his weight around without being penalized too much. Honestly it shouldn't have even been called. Didn't stick his leg out, the hittee moved his body to avoid the hit but left his leg behind.

Reactions: PalmCoastRanger

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
It was Luostarinen, but he didn't lift his leg as much as got the hell out of the way of the train that was going to kill him. Rempe can't take those pens.
The point is that it shouldn't have been a penalty. Rempe didn't stick his leg out or target the other guy's leg, Loust moved his body but left his leg sticking out. If Rempe had gone down it should have been a trip on the FLA player... No way am I neutering Rempe's hitting over that.

For wanting to hit a player? So now when a player dodges from a hit - be it a hip or shoulder check - a penalty should be called because there still was contact made to the evading player?

Even Sam and Joe were confused by the call because it was called tripping, and at no point did Rempe stick out his leg/skate.
exactly

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Against this team, I really didn't hate that game.
I feel like that soft goal Shesterkin wiffed on kinda did them in. Florida was then able to trap hard and counter attack the rest of the game and when a team is good, it can be hard to break through that. Rangers got some chances but Bobrovsky out played Shesterkin.

On little mistake it all it takes against good teams sometimes

e: Regarding Rempe, whether or not it should be a penalty is kind of irrelevant. The refs called it as one, and they're going to keep calling penalties on him and we can whine that they shouldn't have called that but that doesn't change facts. Refs are gonna call him, he needs to be smart about how he throws hits.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Different regime, but JT Miller is another example. NYR org have a really bad track record of understanding what good 5 on 5 scoring looks like and how the PP influences raw totals.

So does the media (the 'breakout' and 'maturity' stories with zero statistical context are nauseating) and the fanbase, but they are entitled to more of a pass.
It's interesting ... the team puts out narratives that aren't 100% true, the fans pick them up, then the team acts on them as if they are real. NYR is a funny organization.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Love Rempe but the ref was calling a penalty there either way. He came off the bench charging and as long as he got a piece of the Florida guy the hand was going up. He can't make it so easy to call. He will learn though.
Gotta disagree. He was not moving his feet when he went for the hit and the only reason the legs of the two players made contact was the Panther diving out of the way. It was a bad call, but the game is fast and it happens.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Kakko has played his last game in NY. Not sure that's even a bold prediction at this point. It's insulting to Buchnevich that people are worried about a post-Ranger breakout. Buchnevich had faults but he put up points from minute 1 of his NHL career.
Buchnevich's first season was his 21 year old season. He put up 20 points in 41 games.
Last season was Kakko's 21year old season. He put up 40 points in 82 games.
Yes, Kakko is having a bad year. If your only concern is this year and maybe the next couple I can see wanting to make this trade. However when Kakko is starting to hit his prime, Buch will be on the downswing. And we will be all over Drury for it. Hahaha. Last year looks to have been a career year for Buch, he isn't exactly setting the league on fire this year: 24 + 24 for 48 points in 59 games. 10 points on the PP.
Also, if it matters, Kakko's QO is less than half of Buch's cap hit.

21 points on the PP last year. 10 so far this year.

Reactions: FUZfan

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Buchnevich's first season was his 21 year old season. He put up 20 points in 41 games.
Last season was Kakko's 21year old season. He put up 40 points in 82 games.
Yes, Kakko is having a bad year. If your only concern is this year and maybe the next couple I can see wanting to make this trade. However when Kakko is starting to hit his prime, Buch will be on the downswing. And we will be all over Drury for it. Hahaha. Last year looks to have been a career year for Buch, he isn't exactly setting the league on fire this year: 24 + 24 for 48 points in 59 games. 10 points on the PP.
Also, if it matters, Kakko's QO is less than half of Buch's cap hit.

21 points on the PP last year. 10 so far this year.

Im personally done playing the projection game with Kakko. He's a 3rd line player on a good team. Id love to use him for a top6 upgrade and call up Berard to take his spot on line 3. We'd be a better team for it.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Didnt JT MIller himself say he needed to be traded twice before he put everything together?

I’m sure he feels that way and did grow as a person but on some level at the NHL level you are what your production says you are and his even strength production was basically the same at the end of his NYR tenure as it was in Tampa and Vancouver.

He “broke out” because he was given PP time.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Im personally done playing the projection game with Kakko. He's a 3rd line player on a good team. Id love to use him for a top6 upgrade and call up Berard to take his spot on line 3. We'd be a better team for it.
I understand, but his upside is part of his value. At just turned 23, he's a responsible 3rd line player on a good team. I get it, there are no guarantees, but how often is it that a top pick peaks in his 21-22 year old season? The odds are very much against that.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I understand, but his upside is part of his value. At just turned 23, he's a responsible 3rd line player on a good team. I get it, there are no guarantees, but how often is it that a top pick peaks in his 21-22 year old season? The odds are very much against that.

I dont see the upside production wise. He's a useful player but not untouchable or irreplaceable.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

Tampa gave up on JT too though and they're the gold standard around here. His act was wearing thin. The Rangers were only going to keep one of Miller or Kreider, they chose Kreider. I don't think Kakko's problem is his maturity or attitude or anything like that. I like him, but if he's not going to help them win this year or next, use him to find someone who can because in two years, there's gonna be a lot of turnover I would imagine.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I dont see the upside production wise. He's a useful player but not untouchable or irreplaceable.
And you are entitled to that view.
I don't believe in "untouchable." Even Gretzky was traded. I believe in getting value for any player we move.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Absolutely. Kakko is one of my favourite players, if you can use him to get a legit top-6 player, especially with term (so Buchnevich), then absolutely.

But to use him to acquire a bubble top-6 rental like Henrique, or Vatrano (who is not a rental but also not a real top-6 player IMO), that wouldn't be smart asset management. Kakko is going to be cheap next year. Even if he's a 3rd liner, it would be good value. So rather not spend him on rentals, or if it's a rental it'd better be damn good one who can push us over the top NOW.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Absolutely. Kakko is one of my favourite players, if you can use him to get a legit top-6 player, especially with term (so Buchnevich), then absolutely.

But to use him to acquire a bubble top-6 rental like Henrique, or Vatrano (who is not a rental but also not a real top-6 player IMO), that wouldn't be smart asset management. Kakko is going to be cheap next year. Even if he's a 3rd liner, it would be good value. So rather not spend him on rentals, or if it's a rental it'd better be damn good one who can push us over the top NOW.

If Kakko was on the table for the package the Ducks wouldve accepted it in a heartbeat. The Rangers dont even want to give up a first for Vatrano according to Brooks. Too many people concerned about Drury giving up a meaningful assets (1st rounders, top prospects and roster players) for rentals even though all of the limited chatter we've heard is that they arent going to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad