Speculation: Bishop vs. Lehner

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Maybe I'm in the minority here...actually I'm definitely in the minority here.

I like Bishop more than I like Lehner. Regardless of what happens Anderson is the guy that is going to be here for the foreseeable future. He is playing on a level that we've never had in Ottawa before, he's likeable not just to the fans but also with his teammates.

All three of them are putting up very good numbers behind a team that isn't exactly star-studded on defence right now. Most people believe that Lehner is the goalie of the future and has the most potential. He probably does have more potential than Bishop. However...I feel like Lehner's personality is an issue. Bishop always seems to be laughing, joking, and he involves teammates in good saves and plays...he seems to talk to them a lot -- he tried to get the crowd involved in big moments (look at his shootout wins). It's not just recently...but when I saw Bishop on the bench for Lehner's start in Boston and they were talking Bishop was joking and laughing as usual but Lehner just had this 'mean' mug on. He listened and nodded but didn't even crack a smile. Then obviously he was mad at Alfredsson because he let in a weak goal. These are just recent examples but I feel like Lehner is kind of a dick. Even when he's talking to the media his whole demeanour just screams 'dick'.

Anyway I guess what I'm getting at is that I think that Lehner probably holds more value and I'd rather trade him than Bishop. I think Bishop will just fit the team better and I don't think that Lehner will be significantly better than Bishop long term -- if at all -- in the NHL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This sucks. No matter which of our 3 goalies we eventually let go, I get the feeling that it could come back to bite us. Oh well. Better than the days of having Lalime, Hurme and Prusek as our trio.
edit: what a difference 10 years can make.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
See, I also like intensity. Bishop has intensity. I think that Lehner just comes off as a jerk.

lol so this is what we are using to evaluate players now? Lehner plays to win, that is all that matters. Plus you don't really hear people complain about Messier and he was one of the biggest jerks around.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Does Bishop not play to win? How do we determine who plays to win and who... uh plays to lose? What do you play to do if not to win?

I am thoroughly confused. Here I was thinking we had two pretty good, young goalies, but apparently, by some law of human nature, one of them does not play to win and is thus inferior. BUT WHICH ONE?! Can we ever truly know?

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
Billy Smith, Ron Hextall, Ed Belfour were "dicks" too.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ok but it's not like we're talking about letting him walk, or getting rid of him for nothing and leaving ourselves in a bad position. We have 3 stud goalies that all project to be very good moving forward. Why not keep the ones without the personality issues (assuming that there is one and I'm not just reading too far into his 'antics')?

I mean, all three of them play to win and all three of them have intensity. I see Anderson as the most settled, and most polished, of the three...but yeah. I think I just like Bishop more.

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011
This sucks. No matter which of our 3 goalies we eventually let go, I get the feeling that it could come back to bite us. Oh well. Better than the days of having Lalime, Hurme and Prusek as our trio.
edit: what a difference 10 years can make.

I'm pretty torn by our goalie situation too. Call me a fat greedy kid, but I wish we could keep all three.

I actually agree with many of the points that the OP touches on. Bishop seems like such a nice guy and would seem like he would have a great locker room presence. However I do have to say, while Lehner does seem like a dick - his twitter posts are surprisingly humble and kind :))))))

Unfortunately there is no column for the nice guy stat, and unless someone overpays something stupid for Lehner, Bishop will be the first goalie out imo.

H2O

Sep 18, 2005
From what I've seen so far from both, I think only Lehner have a shot at being "elite". I see his personality as a bonus, not a hindrance. He's the type of player that will contribute to your team's identity.

The only way you'd trade him is because you believe Anderson is the future over the next 5 years and that the return for Lehner would be worth it.

I also think that the playoff is the truest test for goalies. We've seen great regular season goalies in this organization that falters in the playoff before. Lehner's Calder Cup performance shows me that he can step up in the playoffs and that's why his potential is high.

Anca18

Aug 19, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Well, to defend Lehner he is the one currently fighting for a job in the NHL. Bishop knows that he has the backup job secure until the trade deadline, and if he's not traded to the end of the season. So obviously Bishop is going to be able to laugh a bit, joke around a bit. Lehner wants to remain calm, cool, and collected to show that he is able to be serious, that he is mature and capable of finally playing in the NHL.

To put it into an everyday sort of situation, imagine you're a 21 year old who has just graduated University with a 3 year program and you had a summer internship which gave you some experience but not much, and you're competing for a job with a 26 year old, who also has an University degree but his is slightly more prestigious and took him almost twice as long to complete AND he also has job experience. Going into the interview, who is going to be less stressed, and calmer and able to crack a joke and have a small laugh too? The 26 year old. Who is going to try to be as professional as he can be, try to remain focused and not be in a joking mood? The 21 year old.

In case people haven't caught on, Lehner = 21 years old, 3 years AHL(degree), games here and there in the NHL(internship), Bishop = 26 years old, 6 years AHL(degree), 30 games in the NHL(job experience).

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
People who think Lehner is a dick need to get over themselves.

He's got a fire that he wants to win and he's as competitive as anyone in our organization. Does Alfie have bad attitude for having a hissy fit in the Rangers series or cross-checking someone who made a questionable hit?

Ray Emery had a bad attitude. How did we know? He did **** around the city that came up. What has Lehner done?

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Bishop is almost 5 years older. I would believe Lehner would have more potential than Bishop, how much more.... I don't know.

Right now, Bishop may have a slight advantage but I would take Lehner first.

side note:
Bishop's personality seems to be like Marty Brodeur
Lehner's personality seems to be like Patrick Roy

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Now that we know Lehner and Bishop can play at this level I wish we could keep both

Doesnt make sense too me to get rid of either one ..young and talented

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
anybody else find Lehner gives off some juicy rebounds a bit more often than Bishop? Not that I really mind cause they're both fantastic.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He's got a fire that he wants to win and he's as competitive as anyone in our organization. Does Alfie have bad attitude for having a hissy fit in the Rangers series or cross-checking someone who made a questionable hit?

There's a difference. Lehner got mad at his own teammate and captain -- Alfredsson was mad at himself and the other team.

Bishop is almost 5 years older. I would believe Lehner would have more potential than Bishop, how much more.... I don't know.

Right now, Bishop may have a slight advantage but I would take Lehner first.

side note:
Bishop's personality seems to be like Marty Brodeur
Lehner's personality seems to be like Patrick Roy

It's hard to say. A lot of goalies don't really come into their own until their late 20s. Bishop seems like he could be an elite goalie with close to the potential of Lehner if not just as much but, to the viewing eye, seems to have a more likeable personality.

With Anderson being touted as our cornerstone for at least the next 3 - 5 years according to Murray I see Bishop as being more likely to not mind playing 1A and 1B until Anderson slows down a step.

Anyway...it's not fact and for all I know everyone loves Lehner. Just something that has stood out to me over time with him here and in the minors.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
35678958.jpg

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Sorry...this is sort of a ridiculous topic though, no?

I have yet to hear anything about Lehner being a bad teammate or having a bad personality yet you want to make a decision based on the facial expressions of two goalies over the course of a handful of games?

The only negative about Lehner was what, 2 years ago? And the negative was that he REALLY wanted to be in the NHL and be a star (I am over simplifying but you get it).

If you have some other reasons to want Bishop I am open to reading and perhaps discussing but I don't even know where to begin on this? Should we only hire people with huge mustaches now too since that seems to have worked out quite well?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
There's a difference. Lehner got mad at his own teammate and captain -- Alfredsson was mad at himself and the other team.

I missed this completely - what happened and is there video of it?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I'm not 100% sure but I know it was referenced on the radio and online afterwards. But basically there was a play in front of the net where a Boston player (I believe it was Horton) was passed the puck but Zack Smith lifted his stick right at the moment the puck got there so Horton only fanned on the puck. Lehner slid over and raised his pad just before the puck got there and his stick wasn't on the ice so it slowly slid into the net right through him.

Now Alfredsson was standing at the right pad of Lehner and it looked like there was a bit of contact between Alfredsson's stick and Lehner's (it looks really minimal but who knows) and after Lehner realized what happened he raised his arm and supposedly yelled something at Alfie. IDK for sure though.

Again, I'm not advocating just getting rid of Lehner for one reason, or that we need to get rid of him. I just think that I'd prefer Anderson/Bishop over Anderson/Lehner due to circumstance. I don't feel like it's possible to really go wrong for us in this situation.

Bazel5

Apr 4, 2011

Yes, I would also like to know this.

Only thing I can think of was when Alfie got a bit in the way of Lehner on that bad goal that went 5 hole in Boston. Lehner looked up at Alfie and said something - but I have no idea on what actually transpired.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00