Speculation: Bishop vs. Lehner

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
anybody else find Lehner gives off some juicy rebounds a bit more often than Bishop? Not that I really mind cause they're both fantastic.
I think Lehner is kind of in control of his rebounds. He seems to kick them far and at a good angle, where there's nobody from the other team. Bishop reminds me more of a Pong paddle.

images

EastCoastSensFan

Mar 7, 2011
Pictou N.S.
Gotta love this fan base after 20 years of looking for a top goalie we finally look like we may have developed one and now because he has a spirited personality we should look to trade him because we have another goalie who took 5 years in the league longer just to get to where Lehner is now?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Gotta love this fan base after 20 years of looking for a top goalie we finally look like we may have developed one and now because he has a spirited personality we should look to trade him because we have another goalie who took 5 years in the league longer just to get to where Lehner is now?

After 20 years of looking it looks like we have 3 guys on the team that could be or already are top level goalies. It's not really an issue of whether or not we want to keep a top goalie it's a question of which one. All three won't be staying, and Murray has already thrown his eggs in Anderson's basket.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
After 20 years of looking it looks like we have 3 guys on the team that could be or already are top level goalies. It's not really an issue of whether or not we want to keep a top goalie it's a question of which one. All three won't be staying, and Murray has already thrown his eggs in Anderson's basket.

He's already thrown them into Lehner's as well. Bishop will get traded and we will get some good return assets for him. It would not surprise me if Edmonton is a suitor, among various other building teams.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Again, I'm not advocating just getting rid of Lehner for one reason, or that we need to get rid of him. I just think that I'd prefer Anderson/Bishop over Anderson/Lehner due to circumstance. I don't feel like it's possible to really go wrong for us in this situation.

OK so it is just a gut instinct thing? Fair enough - you are entitled to that thought.

I do think we can go wrong though - we have a kid who was MVP of an AHL Championship as a teenager (only two others have done that I believe) and who is putting up almost historic numbers as a 21 year old...and who has shown he is NHL capable right now as well.

Considering how goalies develop I have to think he is way ahead of the curve and for that reason I believe we should keep Lehner over Bishop.

Really though I am pissed that we are in this position...would be perfect if Lehner wasn't quite ready yet and we could keep him in the A for another year or two - by then Bishop's value could really rise (if he keeps playing this way) but the Senators will be forced to make a decision sooner than later...tough call regardless.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Bishop has the ability to be one of those guys who emerges as a bonafide top 10-15 starter when he's like 30 and maybe provide 5 great years way above what was reasonably expected of him. Lehner has the ability to do that for 15 years. Simple as that for me.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Some people are intense (Lehner) and are quiet with a very serious expression when they're intense. Some people like Bishop just joke around but in the end they can be just as good.

IDK it seems like you have a problem with Lehner.

ThrowInA2ndRounder

Dec 21, 2011
when i met him he seemed like a pretty cool guy; some people are just intense while playing sports, myself included, so i dont really think they are that connected

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I just feel like Bishop has been the better goaltender. Lehner seems to have his temper under control, but Im still waiting to see if teams are able to set him off by running him like they have been able to in the AHL.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Moot point.

Anderson will be our goalie for 10+ years.

And this is why Bishop MAY be the better option. I just get the feeling he would be a better backup.

Lehner wont like not being THE guy.

I dunno, I want to keep all 3. Im glad the decision is out of my hands. No matter what the decision is I will be a little upset.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Just to be clear, Ottawa has not developed a top goalie, what they have is a top prospect...Huge difference.

I like Lehner's attitude or my perception of his attitude. Let's face a lot of guys are dicks at Lehner's age.

source

Jul 13, 2008
And this is why Bishop MAY be the better option. I just get the feeling he would be a better backup.

I dunno, I want to keep all 3. Im glad the decision is out of my hands. No matter what the decision is I will be a little upset.

We can be pretty sure a change will happen before 2013-2014.

I wonder how long Murray waits. It'll be until either:

(a) the trade deadline
(b) during the summer

I don't think the market for goalies is particularly hot during the season, so I'm betting he waits until the summer when we'll have a better idea about who the right guy to trade is.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
The goalie market is certainly heating up will all the injuries.

I have a feeling people are going to be very underwhelmed by the return any of the 3 get though. Its a large part of why I dont see the rush to move any.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010

Andy is already 31. I'm not conviced he'd have the ability to be a starter beyond his mid 30s. At that point I'm sure he wouldn't mind moving into back up role again.

Either way, you keep the guys you feel will have the most success long term, and I still feel like that's Lehner.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Andy is already 31. I'm not conviced he'd have the ability to be a starter beyond his mid 30s. At that point I'm sure he wouldn't mind moving into back up role again.

Either way, you keep the guys you feel will have the most success long term, and I still feel like that's Lehner.

I also agree with this, and think we should trade Anderson and run with Bishop/Lehner.

Basically, I want all 3 traded, and I dont want any of them traded.

DethAlive

Dec 27, 2008
I don't see why we need to rush it even this summer...Bishop will be RFA, Lehner still has a year on his ELC. I say re-sign Bishop to a 3year deal somewhere around 1million per(or whatever cheap deal you can get...) and see if Lehner can still dominate the AHL next year. The problem with Lehner is that it's the first year where he outplays his backup for pretty much the whole year(He was outplayed by Brust before the playoff 2years ago and was outplayed by Mckenna last year). Let's him show that he can do what he did this year 2 years in a row, show that he can do it consistantly. We don't have do decide this year who is our future, Anderson is doing the job right now and still has a few good year in him and the other 2 guys are still very young.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Spezza was a real jerk to a friend of mine once. It's probably best we trade him. Turris was one of the dumbest and most immature players I've met, time to trade him too. Get a guy with some real character like Alex Semin.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
If he was 41 I'd understand, but he's only 31.

My point wasn't that he's old, its that it remains to be seen how long he can maintain his level of play since coming here.

My personal view is to trade bishop and have Andy take the lead while mentoring Lehner until Lehner earns the starting role himself.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Nothing pisses me off more than when people make assumptions on someone.

Although Bishop is a very friendly guy, Lehner is just as friendly but in his won quiet way. The fiery Lehner you see on the ice is the competitive Lehner that his father taught him to be at a young age. He wants to win, compete and uses his aggressiveness as a way to distract shooters knowing they're coming down on someone who won't be afraid to wack em down if they interfere with him.

Lehner has a winning mentality. He rebounds off bad goals, he hates losing. You win with those guys.

I've met and talked to Lehner, he is in no way a jerk whatsoever. His teammates loved him in SOO and I've yet to hear anything back about him.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

28-35 can be the prime of a goalies career, maybe longer.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
There's a difference. Lehner got mad at his own teammate and captain -- Alfredsson was mad at himself and the other team.

We don't know what was said on the ice. For all we know Lehner looked up to the Captain and said "***, jag av hade det!" (****, I should of had that!) And Alfie responded "Det var mitt fel, inte ditt. Oroa dig inte." (It was my fault, not yours. Do not worry.)

We just don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad