Speculation: Bishop vs. Lehner

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I just think Bishop looks more confident handling NHL traffic at the moment. Bish is a bit calmer out there, and Lehner can be a roller-coaster ride.

Like I said before though, Lehner is the better goalie long-term. He has the skill to be twice the goalie Bishop is at 26. You'd be silly to keep Bishop only because he looks a fraction better than Lehner does despite Bish having 5 more developmental years under his belt.

Goalie development is not linear. Hasek wasn't even a starting goalie until he was nearly 30 and many believe he is the best goalie of all time. Bishop is a huge guy and even regular skaters that are big guys tend to take more time to develop in the NHL (for the most part, especially defencemen).

I'm not saying that Bishop will be better than Lehner, or that Lehner is not going to continue to develop a lot...but expecting Lehner to be "twice the goalie" that Bishop is right now when Bishop is doing what he is doing at the NHL...well, it's kinda unrealistic.

We know that Lehner put up better numbers at the AHL level but he also had more opportunity. The situation is strange because Bishop is an outsider while Lehner has always been touted as the "goalie of the future". They push each other but Bishop was also the guy that was always going to get his shot this year in the NHL. Personally I think that Bishop has looked better in his games up here (aside from his game against Tampa) than Lehner has, but that's just me. The NHL and the AHL are very different leagues.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how Murray handles the situation. As long as our team is built best long term (and short term in this case) I'll be happy.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Goalie development is not linear. Hasek wasn't even a starting goalie until he was nearly 30 and many believe he is the best goalie of all time. Bishop is a huge guy and even regular skaters that are big guys tend to take more time to develop in the NHL (for the most part, especially defencemen).

I'm not saying that Bishop will be better than Lehner, or that Lehner is not going to continue to develop a lot...but expecting Lehner to be "twice the goalie" that Bishop is right now when Bishop is doing what he is doing at the NHL...well, it's kinda unrealistic.

We know that Lehner put up better numbers at the AHL level but he also had more opportunity. The situation is strange because Bishop is an outsider while Lehner has always been touted as the "goalie of the future". They push each other but Bishop was also the guy that was always going to get his shot this year in the NHL. Personally I think that Bishop has looked better in his games up here (aside from his game against Tampa) than Lehner has, but that's just me. The NHL and the AHL are very different leagues.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how Murray handles the situation. As long as our team is built best long term (and short term in this case) I'll be happy.

I meant "twice the goalie" on a relative scale, not a literal one, sorry.

Otherwise, yeah.

Rals

Apr 5, 2011
Ottawa
Lehner is more likely to break the ankles of opponents in the blue paint.

Keep him

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe it has been mentioned, but it Luke Richardson has said multiple times that Lehner is a big time leader down in the Binghamton dressing room. The kid plays to win and I personally like having a goaltender with a bit of attitude.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Now that we know Lehner and Bishop can play at this level I wish we could keep both

Doesnt make sense too me to get rid of either one ..young and talented

Why do people say goofy things like this? Keep them all? So you wanna spend $12 per year for three goalies? People realize you can't start 3 goalies at once?

Of course you have to move, probably, two of three goalies.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Moot point.

Anderson will be our goalie for 10+ years.

I wonder how many people think this? I know Anderons has been great the past couple years but he always stunk of a backup and then that headcase issues...I always wonder the clock will strike 12 on him.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006
Spezza was a real jerk to a friend of mine once. It's probably best we trade him. Turris was one of the dumbest and most immature players I've met, time to trade him too. Get a guy with some real character like Alex Semin.

I know a guy that played highschool hockey with Spezza and he said he's a 100% ********.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I always wonder the clock will strike 12 on him.
Colorado fans have been saying it will happen ever since he arrived to Ottawa. Still waiting.

bZrcyZl.jpg

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I know a guy that played highschool hockey with Spezza and he said he's a 100% ********.

Ill bring you to the OHL cup where all the OHL scouts look for their picks.

Try and find me a players who doesn't have a cocky swagger to them. Can rarely be done. Don't confuse being a ********* with having that cocky hockey player attitude.

bishop12

Ovyously
Dec 1, 2006

Try and find me a players who doesn't have a cocky swagger to them. Can rarely be done. Don't confuse being a ********* with having that cocky hockey player attitude.

Oh yea, I ws just saying...

Mt. Lehner does look like a guy with attitude tho...but that would go away once he's older and a leader on the team. One poster said it best. He's 21 and has to show why he belongs here...he's all business right now.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
I'd be fine with an Anderson/Bishop tandem, the big issue is I'm not sure Lehner would get enough back via trade to justify moving him and his potential. Unproven young goalies dont generally have alot of value. Worst case scenario is he becomes disgruntled in minors and asks for a trade which will lessen his value more.

I do believe he is easily the top goalie prospect in the world, but something has to give. I dont imagine Bishop has a ton of value either, at this point.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012

Greening.

JackBauer

May 16, 2006
Ottawa, Ont.
Maybe I'm in the minority here...actually I'm definitely in the minority here.

I like Bishop more than I like Lehner. Regardless of what happens Anderson is the guy that is going to be here for the foreseeable future. He is playing on a level that we've never had in Ottawa before, he's likeable not just to the fans but also with his teammates.

All three of them are putting up very good numbers behind a team that isn't exactly star-studded on defence right now. Most people believe that Lehner is the goalie of the future and has the most potential. He probably does have more potential than Bishop. However...I feel like Lehner's personality is an issue. Bishop always seems to be laughing, joking, and he involves teammates in good saves and plays...he seems to talk to them a lot -- he tried to get the crowd involved in big moments (look at his shootout wins). It's not just recently...but when I saw Bishop on the bench for Lehner's start in Boston and they were talking Bishop was joking and laughing as usual but Lehner just had this 'mean' mug on. He listened and nodded but didn't even crack a smile. Then obviously he was mad at Alfredsson because he let in a weak goal. These are just recent examples but I feel like Lehner is kind of a dick. Even when he's talking to the media his whole demeanour just screams 'dick'.

Anyway I guess what I'm getting at is that I think that Lehner probably holds more value and I'd rather trade him than Bishop. I think Bishop will just fit the team better and I don't think that Lehner will be significantly better than Bishop long term -- if at all -- in the NHL.

Personality wise, sure. Hasek was a dick too but I'd still take him over nice-guy goalies. Tim Murray is the surliest MF out there but he'd make a great GM. Lehner's potential is better.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wow....I'm sorry but Bishop has had a couple great games this year, but that's it. He was underwhelming last season in his limited starts. I'm sure as hell not going to trade away a potential franchise goalie because a guy who's likely to be a journeyman in this league had 3-4 great games.

At the very least we should wait until the summer to start thinking about our goaltending situation.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Wow....I'm sorry but Bishop has had a couple great games this year, but that's it. He was underwhelming last season in his limited starts. I'm sure as hell not going to trade away a potential franchise goalie because a guy who's likely to be a journeyman in this league had 3-4 great games.

At the very least we should wait until the summer to start thinking about our goaltending situation.

I thought he played fine last year. His first 5 games with us last year were great. In fact, he only had 2 bad games last year: against Pittsburgh and Toronto. Not bad for a guy getting his first real taste of NHL hockey.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

He was pretty good last year. We weren't the best team defensively last year and his stats were still respectable. He's been dynamite this year, albeit in a short sample size.

Still, back to the OP, Lehner is more talented and has better results & is 5 years younger. He's got the look of a franchise goaltender & the production to back it up thus far. We'd be crazy to pick Bishop over him unless we get a kings ransom for Lehner in a trade.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Lets see what all the hoopla is about, shall we?

This goal was Alfie's fault. There. I said it. And it does, in fact, pain me to do so.

He deserved to be looked at like "WTF, Alf?!" because not only did he reach for the puck with T-rex arms, his skates interfered with Lehner's and stopped him from being able to get his pad down.

Alf_Lehner1.jpg

The Look!
Alf_Lehner2.jpg

Palms up!
Alf_Lehner3.jpg

Oh well.
Alf_Lehner4.jpg

Other angles:
Alf_Lehner5.jpg

Alf_Lehner6.jpg

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If the incident was as dire as few say, Alfie would have slapped Lehner in the locker room and Lehner would learn.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Except if you watch it in realtime you'll see that Lehner has his pad down already and Alfredsson doesn't interfere with that. It looks like Lehner lost the puck and lifted his pad up in anticipation of having to kick off and go the other way. Right after he lifted his pad back up the puck trickled through.

The only thing that you could blame Alfredsson for there is maybe making a bit of contact with the stick. It wasn't Alfredsson's fault...if anything it was a fluky goal because the puck was whiffed on.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $209.00