Post-Game Talk: Bipolar Panthers crush Pens 4-1, move back into playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
So I feel Trocheck, Matheson, Hoffman and Vatrano have sprung loose from Scapegoat Jail. Can we agree?

Yandle and Bob have charged and convicted lately. Those the only two right now?
Just my opinion, because I’m not easily convinced, I’m only willing to say Matheson has played consistently well the past about 5-6 games.

Tro is improving, I’m not sold yet. Vatrano is trying, I’ll wait another 3 games. Hoff should just be traded unless he gets more physically involved.

Yandle just sucks and I have no hope for him. Bob will just have to get his act together and I trust he will.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Just my opinion, because I’m not easily convinced, I’m only willing to say Matheson has played consistently well the past about 5-6 games.

Tro is improving, I’m not sold yet. Vatrano is trying, I’ll wait another 3 games. Hoff should just be traded unless he gets more physically involved.

Yandle just sucks and I have no hope for him. Bob will just have to get his act together and I trust he will.

Once Weegar is back, he needs to play 3rd pair minutes at 5v5 along with PP1, that's about it.

Reactions: Boothinator

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
So I feel Trocheck, Matheson, Hoffman and Vatrano have sprung loose from Scapegoat Jail. Can we agree?

Malgin looked great last night but needs another 3-4 games to escape
People don't scapegoat Malgin, he doesn't play enough of a role to be a scapegoat. Criticizing the play of a player doesn't mean scapegoating per se.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Hoffman - no

Tro - he’s looking better overall lately but his effort in Buffalo backchecking cost us a goal, so no.

Matheson has had a nice stretch but we saw it earlier in the season. Not enough games to be out of the doghouse yet.

Vatrano has always brought the effort but we wanted more production from him. Don’t think people had him on a shit list.

Yandle is Yandle. Not sure why people expect him to be a defensive stalwart. He’s not. He’s going to turn the puck over. He’s also an elite PP qb and puck mover. You need offense from your d. He’s also been a plus player most of the season, he was a +2 last time I checked.

Malgin is only 22, I think he’s younger than Borg, two years younger than Jayce, he has a lot of skill, and probably needs more consistent playing time. If we trade him I can see him being a 40 point player almost guaranteed. There aren’t enough guys on our roster who have the puck patience and slippery ness he has. Young small skilled players struggle with consistency. That setup to ekblad last night was fantastic.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Matheson has been playing great since December 3rd. His last 15 games he has 4 goals and 8pts and +8 rating and has been more physical than his first 25+ games.

He's still gonna make mistakes but dont know why they don't have him skate with the puck in full stride more often. That's his biggest strength imo, puts pressure on opponents D every time he flies through NZ.

Tro has been fine but just snakebit goal wise. He's passing and setting up goals with his hustle and forecheck. Putting up a lot of assists and still crushing it in the faceoff dot, smashed Malkin in this stat yesterday.
Think he has a goal and 7-8pts in his last 10 games now.

Vatranos effort level cannot be questioned most nights. I'll admit I thought he'd be close to his goal total last year but we have to remember we added more depth scoring and nobody predicted Connolly and Acciari combining for 30ish goals so far.
Like to see Frank finally getting rewarded the last 5-6 games.

This is the best Hoff has been in a while. He's not scoring as much but still putting up points and I agree, if he is traded, his value is still appealing to some GM in need of a PP threat/depth scoring.

Ya cant defend Yands, he's back to the start of the year bad. Only 4 helpers in his last 10 games and a -4. He will be asked to waive his clause this off season or next. Definitely will be traded or exposed before SEA draft imo.

People don't scapegoat Malgin, he doesn't play enough of a role to be a scapegoat. Criticizing the play of a player doesn't mean scapegoating per se.

For sure. Wasnt going to add him at all but just love this kid some nights, he's so damn elusive and good at moving his feet or the puck in the OZ. Him and Hawk had a noticeable game last night. Malgin just needs some puck luck to get on the score sheet, liked him being selfish on the 2 on 1 with Hawk even though Jarry stopped him.

Anyone you'd add?

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hoffman - no

Tro - he’s looking better overall lately but his effort in Buffalo backchecking cost us a goal, so no.

Matheson has had a nice stretch but we saw it earlier in the season. Not enough games to be out of the doghouse yet.

Vatrano has always brought the effort but we wanted more production from him. Don’t think people had him on a **** list.

Yandle is Yandle. Not sure why people expect him to be a defensive stalwart. He’s not. He’s going to turn the puck over. He’s also an elite PP qb and puck mover. You need offense from your d. He’s also been a plus player most of the season, he was a +2 last time I checked.

Malgin is only 22, I think he’s younger than Borg, two years younger than Jayce, he has a lot of skill, and probably needs more consistent playing time. If we trade him I can see him being a 40 point player almost guaranteed. There aren’t enough guys on our roster who have the puck patience and slippery ness he has. Young small skilled players struggle with consistency. That setup to ekblad last night was fantastic.

Use my reply just above.
Disagree on Hoff, Tro and Matheson.

Reactions: RainingRats

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Use my reply just above.
Disagree on Hoff, Tro and Matheson.
We’re talking about the panthers, who play so well at times that people start saying “omg they got the skill, imagine if...”

And then the next two or three games they’re like “nah I already showed them what I can do, forget it, too much effort, I’m going back to bed”.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I don't think it's scapegoating. Between Yandle and Hoffman, they've probably made as many horrible turnovers that led directly to scoring chances as the entire rest of the team combined over the last month.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be really upset about that, especially since a lot of those plays just seemed to be flat out careless.

Reactions: Boothinator

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
He’s going to turn the puck over. He’s also an elite PP qb and puck mover. You need offense from your d.

This kind of another, although lesser example of trying to justify atrocious play when he is a part on scoring some decent goal while letting two easy goals in the d-zone. Players aren't blind to this kind of behavior so they will readjust their effort to match his since he's setting the example. This elite PP qb-stuff is just spin doctoring while he has turned over the puck in the d-zone when doing that drop pass to Barkov coz he doesn't have to look around due to his immense level of talent. Let Ek do that drop pass stuff and save a pretty penny to add more competent bottom6ers-

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
This kind of another, although lesser example of trying to justify atrocious play when he is a part on scoring some decent goal while letting two easy goals in the d-zone. Players aren't blind to this kind of behavior so they will readjust their effort to match his since he's setting the example. This elite PP qb-stuff is just spin doctoring while he has turned over the puck in the d-zone when doing that drop pass to Barkov coz he doesn't have to look around due to his immense level of talent. Let Ek do that drop pass stuff and save a pretty penny to add more competent bottom6ers-
I know what you’re saying but people forget that our PP was terrible and when they brought in Yandle it significantly improved. He makes dumb plays and has weak effort a lot but his net impact is positive.

Reactions: I am not exposed

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Ya cant defend Yands, he's back to the start of the year bad. Only 4 helpers in his last 10 games and a -4. He will be asked to waive his clause this off season or next. Definitely will be traded or exposed before SEA draft imo.

Watcha think Yandle fetches if he's traded in the summer? Three more years left @ 6.35 million.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
With his NMC, not a lot. But we probably can clear cap space which has value.

Ya the nmc is obviously a problem. But other than that it's about finding a fit. Most probably have no interest in him, has to be a situation where a team is specifically looking for a puck moving d and a PP qb. Then he has value. I'm thinking a team like Arizona and he'd probably waive to go back there.

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
I know what you’re saying but people forget that our PP was terrible and when they brought in Yandle it significantly improved. He makes dumb plays and has weak effort a lot but his net impact is positive.

Yandle should get his minutes playing PP1 QB but that's about it.
At 5v5 he should be bottom pairing and Not with Ekblad. Don't think Brown is the ideal solution either. But with Ekblads skating so bad, this will always in a disaster

Edit : If we are going to trade Yandle, I feel Weegs could be a good option on the PP

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Great game and well deserved win. They played hard and never really gave Pens time on the puck...which is usually what happens to the Panthers. ;) Thank the stars Q finally moved Yandle away from Ekblad and "promoted" Matheson there instead! Thought Malgin looked his best in a long while despite no points. Nice to have Hawryluk back, forchecked well and showed lots of energy out there. Same with Vatrano, been better lately. Hoff looked pretty good too and did really good in the build up to his goal. Dridger played really well, will admit I thought differently after 1 shot 1 goal. :D I say do my EA Sports NHL routine, ride the hot goalie until he has two bad games in a row. Bobrovsky will be itching to play and prove himself at that point. If Dridger does well enough to settle the defense down, we have a $10M backup. :cool:

I too thought Malgi looked really good last night.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Watcha think Yandle fetches if he's traded in the summer? Three more years left @ 6.35 million.

A couple factors is his NMC, a $3 million dollar signing bonus due July 2020 and another one due July 2022.

He'll be 34 by start of next season. Only thing I'm not sure of, is if he waives his NMC to be traded, that clause is removed so the trading team won't have to protect him iirc?

Either way, he will want to be traded to a contender because of age but hopefully a late 1st from the team if we take back some salary and/or add our 2020 2nd. I mean Subban is somewhat of a comparable but Yands is cheaper and more productive but older.
Subban got a couple 2nds iirc and that wouldn't be too bad if we package some of the 2nds along with our 1st to move up in draft or package for a top 4 D.

We know MON is looking for a PMD. Now how does Yandle view that team?
I'd love to make a deal with COL work.

Yandle + 2020 2nd + Heponiemi
For
Cole + 2020 1st

Cole is a UFA next year and has a $4.25 mil caphit but only owed $3 million

Am I way off? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kellyr

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Hoffboy and Tro-noback-check ain't leaving the doghouse till I see a consistent play.

And I'll admit I have Barky in the doghouse. He has a standard that I hold him too higher than anyone else on the roster. And he yelped in the face of big games in December rolling into the Buffalo game.

Matheson, I've seen him be brilliant (playoffs) and be idiotic (most of his career). I'll wait to see how he is till the ASG.

I dont have a problem with Yandle per se, more so in the core as a whole. Would just like more consistent play and could we possibly move bodies out in front of the net?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Malgin's got the effort and his skill set is so promising. But way too often he can't keep up his play for more than a few games at a time before he completely fades. My guess is his skill set just isn't good enough to compensate for his lack of size, so he tires out and fades. Hopefully that changes and can put on more strength/stamina? I don't know what it is, but it's been frustrating watching him these past few years because you can see the potential.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@Kellyr ,

Also maybe we send him home to BOS
They have Chara and Krug as UFA'S this year. They may bring back Chara but no certainty he will be good enough. Krug does alot of their PP but he will price himself out.

We will probably have to retain 500k of Yands deal to pay for some of the signing bonus.
Still paying 562k for Demers even next year :help:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
A couple factors is his NMC, a $3 million dollar signing bonus due July 2020 and another one due July 2022.

He'll be 34 by start of next season. Only thing I'm not sure of, is if he waives his NMC to be traded, that clause is removed so the trading team won't have to protect him iirc?

Either way, he will want to be traded to a contender because of age but hopefully a late 1st from the team if we take back some salary and/or add our 2020 2nd. I mean Subban is somewhat of a comparable but Yands is cheaper and more productive but older.
Subban got a couple 2nds iirc and that wouldn't be too bad if we package some of the 2nds along with our 1st to move up in draft or package for a top 4 D.

We know MON is looking for a PMD. Now how does Yandle view that team?
I'd love to make a deal with COL work.

Yandle + 2020 2nd + Heponiemi
For
Cole + 2020 1st

Cole is a UFA next year and has a $4.25 mil caphit but only owed $3 million

Am I way off? Thoughts?

I don't see Montreal or Colorado as suitors. Montreal isn't close and looks like they're fading if anything. Colorado has Byram coming and Makar who's a better version of Yandle and they just moved on from Barrie.

But yeah it all comes down to the nmc and if he waives. Tbh I don't even care about the return if they can remove his cap hit.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
@Kellyr ,

Also maybe we send him home to BOS
They have Chara and Krug as UFA'S this year. They may bring back Chara but no certainty he will be good enough. Krug does alot of their PP but he will price himself out.

We will probably have to retain 500k of Yands deal to pay for some of the signing bonus.
Still paying 562k for Demers even next year :help:

Would Boston want Yandle? Doesn't seem like a guy they would target, too soft.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Yandle being a positive in the +/- category is a miracle.

He's a turnover machine and they almost ALWAYS lead to scoring chances. he doesn't move his feet in his own zone and I don't think what he offers offensively makes up for what he does defensively.

Problem is we don't have anyone else to QB the PP so for now he has to stay.

FYI, he's a -6 in his last 7 GP.

Reactions: Jean Luc Discard

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Moving Yandle is more about the cap coming off rather than the return. Between Yandle, matheson, and stralman we pay wayyyyyyy too much for this d Corp (not including Ekblad because I’d like to retain him)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't see Montreal or Colorado as suitors. Montreal isn't close and looks like they're fading if anything. Colorado has Byram coming and Makar who's a better version of Yandle and they just moved on from Barrie.

But yeah it all comes down to the nmc and if he waives. Tbh I don't even care about the return if they can remove his cap hit.

Ya COL is the dream scenario but fitwise it maybe doesn't make sense.
Tallon will have to be creative.

I wouldn't count out MON, if they package Poehling+, they could get a proven C and picking up Yandle helps them on the PP.
Remember, Yandle would be moved in offseason so this year has no relevance

Would Boston want Yandle? Doesn't seem like a guy they would target, too soft.

I hear ya but when's the last time you blocked a dump in with your teeth? :sarcasm:
They have some grit on their back end, you need a bit of skill and finesse as well.
We just can't spend this much on D going forward. Ekblad, Matheson and Weegar will be the 3 D protected and should be even better next year imo.

Reactions: Kellyr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad