Post-Game Talk: Bipolar Panthers crush Pens 4-1, move back into playoff spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

stagger00

Sep 24, 2014
Didn't yandle refuse to waive his NMC once before? Around the time when Demers was traded to coytes

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Yeah, it’s a long season, and yeah, it’s hard. The S.C. is the hardest trophy to win in professional sports.

They know it’s hard, but they are doing what they love and are getting paid enough to never have to work again after their careers in the NHL are done. So I’m not backing down from my demand: why WON’T they play like this every game? Why do they CHOOSE NOT TO? Some other teams do, and that is the difference right now - absolutely.

well, i think it's a stretch to say they will never have to work again. there aren't that many guys who can stick around long enough, make enough and manage it well enough to never work again. think about the cost of their lifestyles...

anyway, you're asking the million dollar question!

my $.02 - everyone's gotta believe in the mission. everyone has to believe that they are contributing to something bigger. everyone's gotta be willing to go to war for every teammate.

look at the job flores did this year. that team competed all day long every day. in order to do it, though, the fins had to ship anyone who wasn't willing to work and/or thought they were bigger than the mission.

Q didn't have that luxury. he's gotta try to mold this team on the fly. it's not an overnight process.

the hope has to be that he can get them to experience what it's like to win, learn about what it takes to feel that feeling but also learn to hate losing.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Day after a b2b is a league mandated day off so we're probably not gonna here a starter announcement until tomorrow
I wonder about Thursday's game, Bob starting against Vancouver again this year. It wasn't supposed to be his game in Vancouver, but when he went in relief, he got lit up.

Maybe Bob starts Tuesday versus Arizona, and Big D starts vs Vancouver on Thursday?

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Ya COL is the dream scenario but fitwise it maybe doesn't make sense.
Tallon will have to be creative.

I wouldn't count out MON, if they package Poehling+, they could get a proven C and picking up Yandle helps them on the PP.
Remember, Yandle would be moved in offseason so this year has no relevance

I hear ya but when's the last time you blocked a dump in with your teeth? :sarcasm:
They have some grit on their back end, you need a bit of skill and finesse as well.
We just can't spend this much on D going forward. Ekblad, Matheson and Weegar will be the 3 D protected and should be even better next year imo.

Ye maybe Montreal is a fit but Bargainbin probably thinks Yands is too expensive.

Regarding Boston I think they'll rather extend Krug.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Ya COL is the dream scenario but fitwise it maybe doesn't make sense.
Tallon will have to be creative.

I wouldn't count out MON, if they package Poehling+, they could get a proven C and picking up Yandle helps them on the PP.
Remember, Yandle would be moved in offseason so this year has no relevance

I hear ya but when's the last time you blocked a dump in with your teeth? :sarcasm:
They have some grit on their back end, you need a bit of skill and finesse as well.
We just can't spend this much on D going forward. Ekblad, Matheson and Weegar will be the 3 D protected and should be even better next year imo.

That was only because Barky tipped it. Otherwise no way Yandle is getting any where near blocking a shot. Maybe Barky was trying to toughen him up or get back at him for a prank. :sarcasm:

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
Why are we talking about trading Yandle? He's a premiere offensive defenseman and is on pace for 60 points this year. His job is to contribute on offense and he does that. That more than makes up for his defensive lapses or deficiencies. Do you know how hard it is to acquire a 60 point defenseman?

Instead of giving Yandle the boot how about we get a physical defenseman who clears the front of the net and plays a simple defense-first game.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Ye maybe Montreal is a fit but Bargainbin probably thinks Yands is too expensive.

Just poppin all the balloons today are we? Think Tallon sees what we all see. Someone needs to go on backend and Yandle is the one that makes sense.

That was only because Barky tipped it. Otherwise no way Yandle is getting any where near blocking a shot. Maybe Barky was trying to toughen him up or get back at him for a prank. :sarcasm:

:laugh: Barkov too nice to tell Yands to shut up so this was his subtle way.

Reactions: Kellyr

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Why are we talking about trading Yandle? He's a premiere offensive defenseman and is on pace for 60 points this year. His job is to contribute on offense and he does that. That more than makes up for his defensive lapses or deficiencies. Do you know how hard it is to acquire a 60 point defenseman?

Instead of giving Yandle the boot how about we get a physical defenseman who clears the front of the net and plays a simple defense-first game.
Team spends too much on defense. Losing Pysyk helps, but we need to shed some $ off the back end. We spend second most only to the Sharks. Third most on goaltending. You cant spend this much on positions you're not getting results from.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009
btw have you noticed Ekblad has his worst games when paired with Yandle. He has to do the job of two guys

The two just suck together.. I think with his poor skating Ek cant keep up with all the shit Yandle does

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Why are we talking about trading Yandle? He's a premiere offensive defenseman and is on pace for 60 points this year. His job is to contribute on offense and he does that. That more than makes up for his defensive lapses or deficiencies. Do you know how hard it is to acquire a 60 point

When your primary job is to defend and you can't get it done, it's a problem. Unless you're a Norris caliber Burns/Karlsson -type offensive defenseman, to hell with points. We have forwards who's job is to score.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

You dont think Ekblad could chase 50-55 pts if given #1PPQB duties? He's on pace for 45ish points and it's all ES points. He doesn't have a single PP goal or assist this year. He normally averages 4-5 goals and 10pts a year there.

Just feel Yandle will be overpriced with some of the players/contracts we have coming up and we seem to be building around a core of Ekblad, Matheson and Weegar on D. We also have elite players on the PP in Barkov, Huberdeau and Dadonov. Tippett probably comes in next year and replaces Hoffman.
Ekblad replaces Yandle at high point and prefer his shot over Yandles anyhow.

Are you acquiring this defensive defenseman through UFA or through trade? Who ya got in mind?

Reactions: Chaos2k7

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003

i don't know why you are always down on yandle. he is definitely a top pairing defense man on any team. a top scorer and points man for us. solid on defense and a perpetual all star and vezina candidate. and is a major asset on our power play. i think his contract is very reasonable for what he brings. give him some love and respect.

Reactions: austropanther

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
i don't know why you are always down on yandle. he is definitely a top pairing defense man on any team. a top scorer and points man for us. solid on defense and a perpetual all star and vezina candidate. and is a major asset on our power play. i think his contract is very reasonable for what he brings. give him some love and respect.

lol?

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Yandle being a positive in the +/- category is a miracle.

He's a turnover machine and they almost ALWAYS lead to scoring chances. he doesn't move his feet in his own zone and I don't think what he offers offensively makes up for what he does defensively.

Problem is we don't have anyone else to QB the PP so for now he has to stay.

FYI, he's a -6 in his last 7 GP.

In the whole World there is nothing that "must stay". We dont play for the Cup this Year not with the current preformance, we play for PO appearance and a Round win.
So why dont plan or do something now. Our PP is current cold, that also comes from that Yandle and Hoffman doesnt find together as last Year.
Hoffman could be better in shots, but the passes from Yandle to Hoffman in the PP also low in Quality. No accurate, speed is bad in both Side. Even Hoffman stand alone, then the Pass comes bad.

Their is no must, if we had the deadlist PP and score every Game 1 or 2 PP Goals. I would say nothing about it, but what Yandle preformance is so far, he plays bad as people hateing here Hoffman play.

QB of the PP can be Weegar or stillman. Weegar played QB in PP in the AHL. So there is no must stay.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle

tenor.gif

Reactions: BeezKnees

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

On many Team? The last Team before the Panthers pass on him, of the Problem we face current with him. Rangers give up on him, about his bad Defensive play.
So when the Panthers do the same, who will play him Top Pair again. Must be a real desperate Team.

I give him respect, but respect you must earn with preformance. No one Respect you, cause you are you.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
My hour of cease fire with the Panthers is way past its expiration for me to start giving the yandles of the team any breaks. They dug their holes, they made their beds, they sowed the defective seeds - their job to fix the mess they made. THEN perhaps I’ll be nice again on a consistent basis :)

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
It is no surprise that this team has system issues. Look at how many coaches we had over the last 5 years and how different their approach to the game was. Zero continuity. No wonder our team D has trouble, going from Gallant's team defense mentality over Rowe (whatever he was doing...) to run and gun Boughner back to defense first Quenneville.

Even if Bob was on top of his game - which he isn't unfortunately - we'd still look bad quite often. And this is the most frustrating thing - you never know what you will get from this team - I cherish the Jagr and Marchessault/Smith times where you always knew what you would get from each line.

The Penguins game was promising and showing what this team is actually capable of. Driedger looked fine (but not out of this world) plus a good overall team effort.

Less ups and downs in performance plus a Bob on top of his game would make us very hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad